PDA

View Full Version : glueing stall mats

tuppysmom
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
Do I rmember a thread on this subject, or am I dreaming?

We have 19 stalls with mats, some of which are begging to be replaced, (2 stalls actually), and I am thinking about the 4 ft by width of stall mats that are available. I would like to fasten them together somehow. Has anyone glued stall mats? What works? TIA

Laurierace
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
I would never do that. Pee gets underneath and you have to be able to get underneath and get it out once in a while in my opinion.

tuppysmom
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:44 PM
It should work the same as those one piece soft stall mats and the other ones that you can have custom cut to fit. May have to roll them up once in a while to clean out, but should be better than having the corners lift up and get bedding under.

msj
Nov. 3, 2009, 02:46 PM
I couldn't get a perfect fit for my mats under where I put hay. Since I soaked the hay due to a horse with RAO (heaves), I was a bit concerned that dampness would eventually turn some of the area to mold. So just where the corner was, I put down a coating (several actually) of clear caulk to waterproof the area. I'm quite sure that when I lift the mats in the stall to re pack the flooring (done every 5-8 yrs as needed) that I won't have a problem with the corner that was caulked.

I would imagine that you could use caulk as well as glue but sometime down the road you will want to lift those mats and if they are really stuck together, they will be a bear to move as each of my stall mats (4' x 6') weigh about 100 lbs. I guess what I'm saying if you can avoid glueing them you'll be better off.

goodhors
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:00 AM
Our local tack store carries a new product called something like "Stall Mat Pins". I have only seen these pins at the tack store and some local expos.

The pins have a large head that will cover the corners of the mats, help hold them down. The heads are on a special flat piece of metal that is driven into the ground for an anchor.

The pins look very effective, and the expo seller had a number of before and after photos with messy mats relaid neatly and held down with the pins. A little bedding and the pins would be invisible. Yet you are still able to pull the pin yourself, for mat removal or changes you want to do. Better than gluing.

Here is the website of local tack store. They do not seem to show individual products, for you to view the Stall Pins. You could call the store, ask about them. They are always helpful. I know the store does shipping if you want it. Pins come in sets, price was not bad for keeping mats quiet and in place!

http://www.tomswesternstore.com/index.html

I thought the pins very interesting, look effective. Mats could stay smaller and easier to move than if you glued them together. Large mats are incredibly heavy and awkward to handle. We use visegrips on the edge to lift and move our mats. Fingers just DO NOT work well!

IFG
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:39 AM
Our local tack store carries a new product called something like "Stall Mat Pins". I have only seen these pins at the tack store and some local expos.

The pins have a large head that will cover the corners of the mats, help hold them down. The heads are on a special flat piece of metal that is driven into the ground for an anchor.

The pins look very effective, and the expo seller had a number of before and after photos with messy mats relaid neatly and held down with the pins. A little bedding and the pins would be invisible. Yet you are still able to pull the pin yourself, for mat removal or changes you want to do. Better than gluing.

Here is the website of local tack store. They do not seem to show individual products, for you to view the Stall Pins. You could call the store, ask about them. They are always helpful. I know the store does shipping if you want it. Pins come in sets, price was not bad for keeping mats quiet and in place!

http://www.tomswesternstore.com/index.html

I thought the pins very interesting, look effective. Mats could stay smaller and easier to move than if you glued them together. Large mats are incredibly heavy and awkward to handle. We use visegrips on the edge to lift and move our mats. Fingers just DO NOT work well!

Knowing horses, they would get hurt on the pins.

I only have a few stalls, but the mats stay down fine so long as the stone dust packing underneath is even.

I move the mats with a big vice screwed tight on the mat. I pick them up using a flat crow bar (called something like a magic bar).

rmh_rider
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:20 PM
I would never ever glue any rubber mats together. Here are some reasons:

They are heavy enough as it is when not glued together.

If you ever want to re-level them how are ya gonna move or flip back so you can re-level them? Oh I know call the local body builders.

What if you want to move them for some reason. You would never be able to get them out of the stall.

What if one part is really worn, messed up or damaged? You would have to remove (see above) and replace it, and that would be the entire thing, not just a small 4 x 8 mat.

Those mats wear out fairly slowly, what if you wanted to move them to a new location. Those things would weigh lots.

I have mats in all stalls. I have runs off my barn, and do not provide shavings. I simply sweep the mats off. I had to lock a horse in the stall, and the horse was a total pig. He ran all over the place, pee'd like he had been to a keg party or three. He had scratches, and I wanted to lock him in a controlled dry environment to let them heal. They healed pretty fast. The pee smell is horrible. I did use stall fresh, and it is just a nasty smell. So we pulled out the mats, and they are airing out outside, and the stall is airing out also.

Now on another note (ugggggg) I have had a skunk visit our barn this week, yes after we pulled all the mats out of the other stall last weekend. I had to pull mats out of another one, and I got two out, WOW are they heavy. It was in another stall, that is part ways full of hay. Without too many gory details, it sprayed, and I just pulled the mats out so they could air out after 2 days of the initial skunk smell. I did wear disposable gloves!

Now if those mats had been glued, I think maybe I would have burned the barn down as the second choice. Those skunky mats HAD to come out. I rinsed them very well and sprinkled liberally with baking soda and stall fresh. They smell better. Whew. May move them back in the stall in a couple weeks. The other 5 mats are still out airing out, and the pee stall still airing out. Thank goodness we have some good winds, and dry weather lately.

Mats can be used for all kinds of things besides horse stalls. One day they may have to be used in another place, and if they are glued all together, one will have to cut apart to move them. Hey they may have to be sold for some reason. They practically never wear out.

I just sweep and move them back together. Easy.

Fairview Horse Center
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would totally glue mats together. :yes: I hate, HATE mats, so I only use them in a couple of stalls. 95% of my life, I have those stalls needing to be dug out under the mats and reset. I trip over them, they look horrible, they slide, etc. My stall bases are clay, and it just does not work.

I would love to find a way of using a thin middle strip that glued to both mats.

As for the skunk, we have had walls sprayed, and those don't come out. ;) A day or two later, no more smell.

Gloria
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:58 PM
I would bolt the mats down to the ground instead of glue them together. For one thing, how are you going to replace them when time comes, if you glue them together? And time will come that you need to replace them...