PDA

View Full Version : Lickskillet Farm Trail ride in Toomsboro, GA

PRS
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:29 PM
Has anybody been to the Lickskillet Farm Trail ride in Toomsboro, GA? I understand that this ride has been going on for almost 20 years but I've never been. Can anyone tell me about it? How to get there?

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have lived in Georgia all my life and have not heard of Toomsboro. I will have to look it up.:) When is the ride?

pnalley
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:45 PM
Look here for a map of GA with this area in red. It is actually not too far from me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toomsboro,_Georgia

jeano
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:12 AM
I know how to get to Toomsboro! Somebody come get me, its a bit too far to ride there and I have no trailer. itty bitty town in Wilkinson County. I'm game.

ChocoMare
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:30 AM
Wish I had had more notice on this ride. It's east of Macon, so would have to be an overnight trip for me. Alas, got plans.

Let's keep our eyes peeled here! http://www.judgesridelist.com/ -- I see lots of GA, NC, SC, FL, etc rides posted

PRS
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:31 AM
I got the information from the Judges List:

http://www.judgesridelist.com/

The ride is listed on Nov 7-8. It costs $20 which includes lunch on the trail and the dance Saturday night. I won't be staying for the dance though. This ride is only about 60 miles from me but when I called the phone number an older man gave me directions that make no sense so I was just wondering if anyone else had ever been there and could give me directions. I'd love to go and will most likely be pulling in all by myself. I live Near Perry, GA.

PRS
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:39 AM
I know how to get to Toomsboro! Somebody come get me, its a bit too far to ride there and I have no trailer. itty bitty town in Wilkinson County. I'm game.

Which itty bitty town in Wilkinston Co do you live in?

jeano
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:57 PM
sending you a PM. Choco Mare--maybe next year!

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:19 PM
Jeano

I can't go on this ride but where do you live, maybe I can come get you for another one!

jeano
Nov. 4, 2009, 07:48 AM
I'm only about 12 miles from the big 4 diamond saddle club ride in Sparta. Halfway between Milledgeville and Sparta. I ride on the dirt roads and powerlines in the neighborhood and have permission to ride on some hunting properties. Carrollton's got to be over a hundred miles from here. Nice of you to think of it. Next Sparta ride is in May....

pnalley
Nov. 4, 2009, 09:03 AM
We did the Sparta ride years ago. I have never seen so many drunk people on horseback in my life:eek:

ChocoMare
Nov. 4, 2009, 09:11 AM
We did the Sparta ride years ago. I have never seen so many drunk people on horseback in my life:eek:

Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes:

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, Thank you! I can cross that off my list!!

jeano
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
Which is why I've never been, even though its practically around the corner. That and I bought Sadie from one of the organizers and dont want to re-activate her PTSD by taking her back there. Hard enough coping with an Adult Horse of an Alcoholic as it is.

From all reports the ride is famous for the number of inebriated riders who have to be scraped off the pavement and trails during the festivities.

Still, I do have a secret yen to go just once and observe it through the lens of sobriety. If I could get there I could bail on the ride when it got too drunk and get home horseback via the dirt roads-- there's one little village that's kind of tough to negotiate, but I've ridden through it and lived to tell the tale...

PRS
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
:yes:OK. I decided to take the plunge and chance the drunk cowboys and attended the ride. It was actually located right off Hwy 112 at Old Toomsboro Rd. in the Stevensville Community just south of the town of Toomsboro, GA. I got to meet the Judge that puts out the Judges list. Nice old fellow, a bit of flirt though. I actually had a good time! The weather was PERFECT! They fed us lunch...for $20 we left camp at 10:00 am and stopped for lunch on the trail where we were fed Sonny's BBQ Grilled Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, 2 pcs of bread, choice of Peach Cobbler, Bannana Pudding and choice of Sweet Tea or Lemonaid. Lunch break took about an hour, there was a porta john available too. It was a very good and satisfying lunch. We then continued our ride through wooded trails, logging roads, and farm fields and returned to camp around 3:30. For safety's sake there were sherriff's deputies available to stop traffic while we crossed the highway, something I was glad to see.

Now I'm not saying that there weren't going to be some liberally lubricated drunks by the end of the ride since I did spot several saddle bags full of beer or other alcohol. There was a dance scheduled for later in the evening and my $20.00 payment covered access to the dance too. I left long before the dance started though. I guarantee lots of drunks there.

I will attend this ride again, just as a day rider though. There were lots of folks camping for the whole weekend, but I'm just not into primitive camping.

Oh Yeah, and the money went to a Humane Society.

pnalley
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:36 PM
Everyone should go to at least one wagon train in their lifetime.

It was fun. My husband drove his mare hitched to a meadowbrook. A group of them offered to carry the buggy across the river as it looked too "pretty" to make it. Of course wooden wheels handle mud & water WAY better then car tires (most buggies have car tires).

The first night they partied into the wee hours of the morning. The day of the long ride they were all passed out by dark. Pretty funny.

I'd go again w/o thinking twice about it.

We have don the ride a Ron & Adriannes. They ride wide open the majority of the way. The fast group was too fast & the slow group was too slow, so we just split off & rode at our own speed.

Silver Spurs has a nice facility (Dublin GA) they have a sign posted that says no glass bottles OR horses on the dance floor. I would have liked to seen the party that caused that to be posted;)

jeano
Nov. 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
betch sparta has both!