PDA

View Full Version : Best Eventing Tack????

Tobias
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:45 PM
What is the best tack to have on an cross-country horse, to look good? I need lots of details like a five point breast plate instead of just a plain one.

Also can you use a running martingale with a three ring elevator bit? I'm not sure how that would work.

It is all about looks because it is for model horses. (Breyers) I am a tack maker and I am making a eventing set. I want lots of details so it will stand out, because it is going to a show.

What kind of girths do eventers use? are belly guards common? or are those usually just in show jumping?

Thanks for any help! You can look at my website for an example of what I can do. www.littlenibbles.weebly.com

-Elizabeth <><

sisu27
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
I use an elevator with a running....works the same is with any other bit. Do you mean if you use a curb rein on a lower ring? In that case....snaffle rein only through running.

I would think that a 5 point might look sort of busy on a model horse....looks pretty busy on a full size horse!

I use a plain old leather girth with a long billet jumping saddle but a monoflap would probably be cool for your application.

You could always do everything in obnoxious colours wherever possible.....that might make it recognizable as "eventing gear"!

OMG! You weren't kidding about the detail....your stuff is amazing! Really cool!!

SprinklerBandit
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:22 PM
I second the above. Your stuff is amazing.

pday09
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have a regular hunting leather breastplate, (not the 5 points one) some people also use the breast collars. I use a breastplate because I have a running martingale too. I use a leather girth, no belly guard. Of course boots all around, but never open fronts. If you want to get really detailed, you could but little studs in the horse's feet. Don't forget a little rider with her jumping vest!

And WOW your stuff is good! If I didn't know any better I'd think your stuff was the real thing!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:33 PM
You must have VERY good eyesight!:lol:Your stuff IS beautiful!
I prefer eventing gear to be as plain and simple as possible. Hunting breast plate, snaffle bits, simple nosebands, plain girths, maybe with loops for an over girth-ooh, an over girth would look cool on a model-simple color coordination, no bling, no neon, nothing loud. Oh, maybe brass clinchers on the browbands...Black leather for dressage, brown for jumping. White saddle pads for dressage and show jumping, a plain color pad for xc.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:34 PM
The obvious would be a figure 8 nose band...with a brass clinchers on the brow band.

Saddle...the cool "in" look is a monoflap. You do see belly guards on some eventers but it isn't as common.

If you do a three ring bit...put two sets of reins and run the running martingale only through the snaffle rein. Make one set of reins rubber (the snaffle reins) and make the curb rein thinner. I use a thin braided rein as by curb rein when I use two reins.

Five point breast plate would be cool. If not, one of these would look eventery

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_All_Purpose_Elastic_Breastplate_p/0057.htm

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Jumper_Breastplate_p/0059.htm

If you went with a 5 point breast plate...I'd skip the martingale...I think that would be way too busy.
Xc boots all around. Consider bell boots as well...ones like this are common http://www.bitofbritain.com/Neoprene_Bell_Boots_p/9521.htm

I love the Dalmer xc boots....but 4 strap woof boots up front and 5 straps behind are very recognizable as eventing boots. With colored tape added on top of them to keep them in place. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Woof_Brushing_Boots_with_Neoprene_p/0032.htm

Some one should be able post a picture with boots on and taped...

You could consider "greesing" you model as well:lol:

if you your model has a foot in the air...you can consider putting studs in his foot.

Mach Two
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:56 PM
and what the heck, sharks teeth, too!

Tobias
Nov. 2, 2009, 05:34 PM
Wow Thank you all for your replies and complements!

Unfortunately It is not my horse that the tack is going on, it is for a customer. I think she will have shoes with studs, it is a jumping model so all four feet are in the air. I have a pattern for the Nunn Finer Brushing boots and tape is a good idea! we had thought of that.

She does have rider, I hope she has a vest! we wouldn't want that doll to get injured :lol: and she has chosen a bit already, not the three ring one but I will be making a different bridle with the three ring bit!

Thanks again for all you help! when I finish the set I will see if I can get some pictures for you.

-Elizabeth <><

Hony
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
Will it have a monoflap saddle?

poltroon
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
People use shaving cream for the grease. ;)

I might skip the martingale - it adds some difficulty in tacking up in a hurry, and I don't see them live as much as I used to. Do a rubber rein - those look really good, and that's what most people use. (There are rubber pot-opening devices that can make a very nice rubber rein). Especially if there's a rider, I'd do just one rein.

A figure-8 noseband is a good choice.

If you have a source for really good rubber or plastic bell boots, those are very convincing.

Fit is more important than the accessories, so know your customer and how able she is to actually put the items on. Better to be more minimalist and have it right.

"Sheepskin" covers can look cool on a breastcollar, also.

An overgirth is very simple to make and is very cross-country. It will also be easy to put on and off.

Think about how you might change out the set slightly for the jumper class, if she wants to do that too. Obviously the same tack is legal for both, but it will help the entry to win both classes if there's some minor tack change to make it feel more like a jumper. It will want to be something that can be done quickly (usually only 5 minutes between those classes), and might be as simple as changing the boots, the jump, and the rider.

Vetrap cut down into 1 cm strips and wrapped over some dark leather or thin rubber can be a good approximation of the porter boots.

Enjoy!

Bobthehorse
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
Overgirth! Red for your convenience.

http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/v/Equine/2009_Equine/2009_LanesEndHT/album_004/album_001/album/300809-5013.jpg.html

RunForIt
Nov. 3, 2009, 06:26 AM
I love it all...and from these posts alone, I'd think NONE of us have outgrown our love of Breyer horses! :cool:

ClassAction
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:56 AM
I love it all...and from these posts alone, I'd think NONE of us have outgrown our love of Breyer horses! :cool:

Seriously. I don't play with mine anymore (I just pat them occasionally...er :D) but I'm looking for some deserving kid to pass them down to!

Tobias
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think Breyers is something that could or should be grown out of. Most of my customers are adults!

Classaction--Choose carefully who you pass them down to, I thought I would give my brother a "trial" and gave him my breyer jockey, he now has no arms holes in his clothes and not much hair left. lol! so NOOOOO breyers for him!

What is a monoflap saddle? I don't think I have heard of that before.

Jar openers are a great idea for rubber reins! Thanks!

Thanks again for all your ideas!!!!!!!!

poltroon
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:14 PM
If you do put the running martingale on, don't forget rein stops. I made a very convincing set out of rubber band pieces with a slit through them for the rein.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:18 PM
Eventing saddle:

http://www.equirodi.com/fr/img/1246258989484a826fb39af-cross1.jpg

Used with a short girth... such as this:

http://stores.abitoftack.com/catalog/Devoucoux%20Short%20Girth_1.jpg