PDA

View Full Version : Eric Smiley clinic report

sch1star
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:17 AM
My pony and I were fortunate enough to ride in an Eric Smiley clinic last week. Before I went, I searched these boards and was interested to see the information here, especially the comparisons to other clinicians such as Lucinda Green.

For anyone who is interested in the follow up, I posted a two part report on my blog (in sig line). I tried to include the philosophies he shared with us, as well as the "Ericism" tips he gave!

Tazzie
Nov. 2, 2009, 12:55 PM
Great report! I felt like I was right there with you.

And your pony is adorable! I'm not big on color, but I'd take your guy any day!

KMErickson
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:57 PM
I was so sad I didn't get to ride with Eric this year, especially since the first day of the clinic was held at my house!! Silly college... Fortunately my father got to ride my horse so at least someone from the family got to have a good time :D.

Glad you had a good time and learned a lot! Eric is amazing.

BEARCAT
Nov. 3, 2009, 05:41 PM
Good to know! He is coming to Colorado this week end and I am planning on auditing.
Liked your blog!

ss3777
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
Great report, many thanks!!! He sounds a lot like Eric Horgan. I will have to watch where he is going and give it a shot in 2010!! You have a great writing style!!

seajay
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Pilot of the "absolutely gorgeous chestnut TB type who carried a secure air of been-there, done-that" weighing in. At least, if you are talking about the liver chestnut fellow with the lightning bolt snip. He's 7, Irish, and we have definitely spent the time getting the basics installed. At the clinic, we did the larger jump/drop into the water and were the ones giving a lead to the horse having some problems dropping in. My guy loves water, in fact, he is probably a little more cavalier than I would like on occasion. At novice, he used to do a dramatic leap followed by belly flop into the water complex on occasion...I just stayed in the middle and hoped for the best!

My guy was such a trooper. Eric realized that we had some solid basics but definitely pushed us to the next level and I appreciated it. My horse can be a little too casual about things and Eric gave me some tips to make him a bit sharper off the ground and get his attention ans we start to tackle more difficult questions. I will absolutely ride with him again! I had a chance to ride with Lucinda up in Vt a few weeks prior and Eric was an excellent complement.

sch1star
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:22 AM
Well there you go...nice to find an unexpected compliment on the Internet sometimes! I enjoyed watching you!

seajay
Nov. 6, 2009, 11:21 PM
Just thrilled that we at least appear on occasion to have our act together! We've worked hard and the clinic was a perfect close to the season. I saw you working your horse on day one and could see Eric's tips with both of our groups get traction. It was fun to watch. Your pony is a super-cute little powerhouse!