PDA

View Full Version : my KINGDOM for a fly strip...

pintopiaffe
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
Not that it's much of a kingdom. More of a... well... indentured servant's swill shelter...

At any rate... screw the Zombie Apocolypse, this is the Zombie Fly Apocolypse. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You know them. The ones that are dying, and fly in squares. (Why do they fly in squares? And why did someone have to tell me that once, so now it's all I notice? Gotcha. )

This spring I thought I needed a priest. A kindly CotH'er told me they are called cluster flies. And they Are In My Kitchen. :mad: :dead:

I suppose my Kingdom might be a small remnant of the kingdom of Amity... :uhoh:

I know they probably get in when I'm trucking tack in and out the doors... and through any little cracks by windows... but I can't help think they're leaving MAGGOTS somewhere in the walls or something.

They even had the audacity to get into my coffee creamer and get stuck there. NO, I am NOT sparing coffee creamer for bait, as I'm not entirely sure it kills them. More like they somehow got in the lid (can't imagine how, since like everything in my house, it was knocked over by furry four legged hooligans and the little liddy-latchy thing was slightly open... :uhoh:) and because the creamer container is round, and they can only fly in squares, they died of exhaustion. Or not. One wasn't dead. <shrugs> Like any good barn girl, it was only one each morning... I picked them out and carried on... :uhoh: :dead: :lol: :uhoh:

C'mon, which is worse, a dead fly or no coffee??? :uhoh: :dead:

So I have never, EVER before not spent a winter with at least two fly strips kicking around the hardward cabinet. Not this year. I've none.

Do you THINK I can remember to stop by the hardware store and pay $4 for an out of season item that cost .69 cents at the grain store four months ago? No. :sigh:

Do normal people have Invasions of the Zombie Flies? Or just farm people? Or do I really need a priest?

:confused:

S1969
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
Phew, I thought I was the ONLY one!! I hate them! I've started chasing them into corners of my windows and smashing them with paper towels. Yesterday one kept bombing me in the head. I don't know if they are a "farm" thing or not; we have a 3-stall barn but I only seem to see them in the house where it is warm. Do they come from the barn? Are their maggots under my kids beds or something and these are the hatchlings? Gross, no matter how they get in. :mad:

Larksmom
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
I keep those, because at the mo, I am being invaded by flying mites. I don't know what they are, maybe flying fleas?
I have a small house, but about 4 fly swatters! Kill them suckers!:yes:

Guin
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like cluster flies to me, not regular "barn" flies. Search the forum for cluster flies and you will find a couple of threads on them. DISGUSTING verminous things!:dead:

atr
Nov. 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
I live in a log house. It has been fly hell this fall. Misery loves company...

Catersun
Nov. 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
My thoughts are with you PP.. I have a significant infestation of fruit flies.... this is what I get for making homemade banana chips.... Fruit flies out the WAZOO

sooo Geek if ya need any spares for your studies I'd be happy to send them your way!

mroades
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
PP, have you ever thought your house might actually BE possessed??

pintopiaffe
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:05 AM
Oh, God, mroades.... that's it! That's why the IttyBitties are so DEMONIC right now!!! :lol:

I found out early summer that you can use OdoBan--which is a natural cleaner/deodorizer/enzymy type stuff you get at Sam's Club or Home Depot--to kill moth infestations. Just spray on fine-mist and moths are gone, and house smells great too.

So in desperation, I tried it on the square-flying-flies yest'dy and I think it worked! It knocked them out of the air anyway. Whether or not they SURVIVE it... well...

But the plus side is the OdoBan is safe for kitties, dogs etc., so even if a dead fly is snacked upon--or an almost dead fly played with--no poisons. (that's been the issue with any sort of 'fly' spray: Ittybitties. )

Oh, it's also GREAT in the laundry. It's the only thing I've found that gets cat pee smell out of clothes--even if it's old cat pee. :yes: Works on skunk too.

Bluey
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:17 AM
PP, have you ever thought your house might actually BE possessed??

That sure could be, because if you forgot to pay the exorcist last month, you are now very probably... repossessed.:eek:

pintopiaffe
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:36 AM
bwaaahahahahaha!!!!!

:lol:

ManyDogs
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
Rain, mud, more mud, flies, bot flies.
It's been a GREAAAT summer.:mad:

At least I can get hay.

Hey, bot flies-we've had frost at least twice. Don'tcha think it's time to die?

Oh, and I forgot burrs. :no:

Carrera
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:45 AM
That sure could be, because if you forgot to pay the exorcist last month, you are now very probably... repossessed.:eek:

You now owe my a new keyboard!!!!!! Coffee everywhere!

trubandloki
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
Cluster flies totally and completely suck..... We have them something awful. I shall now do a search as someone suggested to learn all the brilliant COTH people know about how to get rid of them.

vineyridge
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:21 PM
I left a glass with about 1/4 inch of orange juice down in the bottom out one day. When I came back, there must have been eight dead flies in the little bit of liquid. Would those have been cluster flies who died from exhaustion because the glass was round?

Foxtrot's
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:22 PM
Best $2.99 I ever spent was to go to Wal-Mart and by one of those little tennis raquet zappers (batteries included). I've become a compulsive fly smacker.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 7, 2009, 02:14 PM
I didn't mean for outside use (insert rudism here) :) - and we found out the hard way that the zap stays in the wires after the button is released for a few seconds. But it is satisfying in the house! You would definitely get their attention is you slapped a fly on their rump.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 7, 2009, 02:19 PM
Both my vets have a system I had not seen anywhere else. It was like a washing line suspended close to the ceiling with very sticky white string. As the flies landed on it and filled it up they could wind the used portion onto a spool at one end while new line came out of a spool at the other end. Seemed more ffective than those pesky fly papers - even the massive big ones I buy for the barn - and more unobtrusive. Couldn't get caught in manes or my hair.

jen-s
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:24 PM
PP, I have a confession. When I read this last week, I chuckled and was grateful that flies weren't a problem down here. And then the weekend happened and WE'VE BEEN INVADED! Flymasks in November??!! What The Fruitfly? ;) Seriously, the black flies are out of control. And cold weather, well maybe next week. Sigh....

Plumcreek
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:22 PM
Best $2.99 I ever spent was to go to Wal-Mart and by one of those little tennis raquet zappers (batteries included). I've become a compulsive fly smacker.

Where in Walmart would one find those?

winfieldfarm
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:18 AM
I have no advice but I love that OP used just about every emoticon know to COTH history. Really man, tell us how you really feel!

Anyone try those friut fly traps they sell in the produce department. I'm famous for having some moldy fruit awaiting disposal in my kitche.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:04 AM
Fly zappers like little tennis racquets - from Wal-Mart, etc. but proably only available seasonally - up near the camping department, Deep Woods Off.
Sorry - Wal-Mart thinks the flies disappear on Labour Day!

Yes, the OP's post looks like some kind of new pox.

in_the_zone
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
Bugs. Everywhere! I have a few varieties:

Flies
Stink Bugs
Lady Bugs

I especially hate the Stink Bugs because they hide in the worst places and then you end up with a nasty odor that lingers forever. Places that I have found stink bugs that angers me: Droves of them in my curtain folds. In, as in inside, of my hairdryer. In my boots. At 3am one was stuck in my pony tail and I ended up with stinky-head and had to get up to take a shower. Hundreds of them discovered in my winter hat box. Hanging out on my clothes hanging up in my closet. In my vacuum, which makes it smell bad every time I use it. I'll trade all the Stink Bugs for more flies right now.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:36 AM
well, I'll admit, one can't really tell a tale of using coffee creamer that has dead flies in it *without* explanatory emoticons, now can one? :uhoh: :dead: :lol:

PP, I have a confession. When I read this last week, I chuckled and was grateful that flies weren't a problem down here. And then the weekend happened and WE'VE BEEN INVADED!

And now you know... :no:

It was entirely too easy once I shelled out the $3.49 for four 25 cent fly strips. One in the kitchen, one in the archway, and even with Indian Summer this past week... I am, blessedly, fly free.

The OdoBan really works nicely too though. :yes: