PDA

View Full Version : great blanket for the older horses

paintjumper
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to share a wonderful product with all of the older horse owners since winter is bearing down on us. Go to the website ironhorseblankets.com These blankets are SUPER light weight and they have nothing under the belly of the horse for the older legs to get tangled into. They have velcro around each leg. My old man (he will be 32 in January) wore his all last winter and the velcro worked as well on the last day as it did on the first. This is a great product. They block out 95% of the wind and rain too.
JFYI, I am not in any way part of these folks, just wanted to pass along info on a great product.
If you order one be a tad generous on the sizing.

equineartworks
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:10 AM
that is a pretty cool blanket!

(putting one on my Christmas list for Paco)

Bedazzle
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:23 PM
How do they keep them warm? Down to what temp does it keep them warm?

Oldenburg Mom
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:42 PM
FAQ's have the answer ... http://ironhorseblankets.com/faqs.php
25-65.

Bedazzle
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks, didn't notice that.

paintjumper
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
and the winters, believe it or not, can be pretty bad because it rains at 33 degrees. This thing is lightweight and repells the wind and rain. CJ has a barn but for some reason likes to stand out in the rain and this blanket really helped last year. It is really easy to wash too because it is so light, not like the bulky ones that won't fit in the washing machine.

SharonA
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:34 PM
They look great, so I'll eagerly wait for them to come out with something that's waterproof, not just water-repellent, for my horse who's out 24/7 (with a run-in, but I just wouldn't trust this blanket in 33-degree rain). But, maybe I could talk to Santa about one for the times when no there was no rain in the forecast....

paintjumper
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
I used it last year and my older fella (that has a walk in type shed but prefers to stand out in the cold rain) and it pretected him pretty well. He would be wet around the neck area but his body was warm under there. I agree, I wish they were rain proof but it still helped him out with warmth. I would just take it off him as soon as it quit raining and dry it out in the sun (or wash and dry it) and we were good to go again.

TripleRipple
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
Even though not its intended purpose, I'd like to have one of these to put under one of my waterproof slightly heavier blankets for those nights when it gets below zero up here and is snowing/windy for one of my older guys (who is showing some sensitivity to cold even though he is only 17).

Thanks so much for the link!

paintjumper
Nov. 23, 2009, 03:32 PM
I bought 2 of these and doubled up on them when it was more than miserable here, he was SUPER toasty under there but there was not much added bulk and heaviness and I did not have to worry about him getting tangled up when he laid down.