PDA

View Full Version : Rattle snakes not RATTLING!!! ERRR

Horsecrazy27
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:06 PM
Well, the last 8 weeks I have had around 10 rattle snake "run in's".

In those 10 snakes, only 2 rattled. One rattled in the corner of our porch, the other AFTER it bit my Mom's horse (I was riding) on the trail. I saw around 3 on the trail and non of them rattled.

Some didn't even rattle when we scooped them up to drive them way out into the desert to re-home them. ?????????? I almost stepped on an 8 inch baby rattler last night in the garage. I rolled my friends cart right next to it and stepped with in 3 inches of it--then jumped back around 6 feet with a HUGE yell. It never moved. I first thought it was dead--but, when we scooped it up, it tried to get away.

Two weeks ago on a trail ride (as stated above), I was looking at the ground and saw a snake "track" and even pointed it out and looked to both sides of the track. Neither of us saw anything. Then, my moms horse (I was riding bare back and in a halter--thank God he is bomb proof. I know, I know--stupid, but was being lazy and felt safe.), I saw out of the corner of my eye as we were almost completely passed this snake, this thing leap next to me and then my horse kicked out. THEN it rattled. ??? It also was having a hard time getting it's jaw to re-aligned. It totally spooked me for the next few days. The horse only had one puncture wound and never even swelled up? Big snake too! The stupid snake waited till we were almost passed it---then bit first, before rattling?

The next was a rattle snake next to the barn all coiled up and looked to be sleeping. I don't know how it wanted to stay there with all the noise we were making. We put him in a trash can and took him to the desert too. He was a giant and had around 16 "buttons". Never rattled that whole time--just wanted to get away.

The next one I saw, was the day after my trail ride. I was spooked and this snake was heading into the horses pin and I was jumping up and down clapping things together, it acted like it had no sense of "hearing" or "senses"?. It was around 4 feet long and it had a broken rattle. Friend killed it. But, it never even rattled while he was walking up to it with a shovel. Never even coiled up.

The next was our niece and nephew playing in the pool and jumping off of our water fall. The 3 year old steps over the snake and then says, "there is a rattle snake mom." Sure enough it was around 2 feet long and just laid there as kids jumped and stepped over it. We all nearly had a heart attack thinking about the outcome that could of happened.

Then this baby rattler in the garage, another in the bush outside (almost wandering if it was the same one--both same size)

OH the one on our porch. My husband and I just happened to look out on the front porch and there was one in the corner. We stepped out---it sucked back--then rattled fiercely. We turned around and RAN inside....I think my husband almost ran me over.

SO, my questions. Why could there be so many rattle snakes not rattling? And how do we get them off our property?

Sorry for the this being so long, must of had to get this out of my system. LOL

lauriep
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:09 PM
Post this on the "Why they spook at logs" thread on Off Course and 2Jakes, our resident expert on all things reptile, can answer it for you!

Horsecrazy27
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:18 PM
Post this on the "Why they spook at logs" thread on Off Course and 2Jakes, our resident expert on all things reptile, can answer it for you!

Hello,

Will do!

AKB
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:18 PM
Where are you located? I thought rattle snakes got less active in the cooler months. Obviously, I don't know anything about them!

Horsecrazy27
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm in Scottsdale area.... 2 weeks ago, it was like they were out in groves.

The weather is just now cooling off here in Arizona. :)

Joanne
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:23 PM
I watched some TV show about a rattlesnake roound-up. Apparently in recent years, some of the rattlers have gone quiet or silent. They assume it is a mutation towards survival.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:35 PM
Wow this brings back memories. I lost my dog Megan July 5 to a rattler, but it was rattling like crazy. then two weeks later I had another one in my barn that was about 7' long, it never saw me coming and I shot it before it coiled up.

Are you having an issue with rats or mice or some other small animal? Obviously there is something they like about your place.

I just am amazed that you all are catching these things and not getting bit. Good God.

jollytrak
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:16 PM

In those 10 snakes, only 2 rattled. One rattled in the corner of our porch, the other AFTER it bit my Mom's horse (I was riding) on the trail. I saw around 3 on the trail and non of them rattled.

It's a myth that all rattlesnakes will rattle when 'threatened' or rattle as a 'warning' also, if it's damp out or wet... you will not hear a rattlesnakes rattle -- the rattle sound if 'muffled'.

The next was a rattle snake next to the barn all coiled up and looked to be sleeping. I don't know how it wanted to stay there with all the noise we were making. We put him in a trash can and took him to the desert too. He was a giant and had around 16 "buttons". Never rattled that whole time--just wanted to get away.

The next one I saw, was the day after my trail ride. I was spooked and this snake was heading into the horses pin and I was jumping up and down clapping things together, it acted like it had no sense of "hearing" or "senses"?. It was around 4 feet long and it had a broken rattle. Friend killed it. But, it never even rattled while he was walking up to it with a shovel. Never even coiled up.

Um, you can jump up and down and bang all the pots and pans you want... the snake won't hear you, but may feel your landings after each jump :lol: snakes do not hear like us, their 'ears' are internal and sound travels through their muscle to bones in their jaw, which are near the internal ear.

SO, my questions. Why could there be so many rattle snakes not rattling? And how do we get them off our property?

has there been any new construction nearby? usually digging will send snakes to quieter areas. You might have a rodent problem and the snakes are helping you ;) one can not snake proof property, but one can make the habitat on your property less desirable.

I live with rattlesnakes, do not like them but have taken measures to reduce rodents in the barn and storage areas, keep wood piles and other clutter tidy so they don't have a place to hide or call home!

Bluey
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:40 PM
We had a ten button one "helping" us with some framing we were doing today and it sure was annoyed and rattling for all it was worth.

We took care of it with a shovel, we didn't want to have to keep watching for that annoyed rattler.

Some rattle, others don't. The smaller prarie rattlers do, the bigger coontail ones not as much.
They are all very dangerous to anyone they bite.

Donkey
Nov. 1, 2009, 01:47 AM
I am so so so glad that I do not live where you do - I would not be handling what you described well at all. Rattle snakes that don't rattle, well that's just not fair!

Best of luck on eradicating your problem.

jaimebaker
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:15 AM
How long are the rattles on these snakes? There was one a few months back in my stallions pasture that rattled his tail but made no noise. And it was quite obvious why he didn't. His rattle was too short. Only about 5 buttons (but the snake was huge). There wasn't enough of a rattle too make a noise. I grabbed his tail after he was deceased, and shook it myself. The buttons were in just too short. No noise at all.

dotneko
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:40 AM
OK, crossing off Texas, Arizona and Tennessee as
places I would ever live.

Dot

jaimebaker
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:45 AM

Dot

:lol: They aren't that bad around here. I grew up here. Never saw one a day in my life, until we bought a farm several years back about 25 miles from where I grew up. The farm us surrounded by state forestry. There's a whole mess of them out there. But if I tell folks about it, many to this day still don't believe there are rattlesnakes in this area. I have 'proof':yes:

Catersun
Nov. 1, 2009, 10:31 AM

Some didn't even rattle when we scooped them up to drive them way out into the desert to re-home them. ?????????? I almost stepped on an 8 inch baby rattler last night in the garage. I rolled my friends cart right next to it and stepped with in 3 inches of it--then jumped back around 6 feet with a HUGE yell. It never moved. I first thought it was dead--but, when we scooped it up, it tried to get away.

Two weeks ago on a trail ride (as stated above), I was looking at the ground and saw a snake "track" and even pointed it out and looked to both sides of the track. Neither of us saw anything. Then, my moms horse (I was riding bare back and in a halter--thank God he is bomb proof. I know, I know--stupid, but was being lazy and felt safe.), I saw out of the corner of my eye as we were almost completely passed this snake, this thing leap next to me and then my horse kicked out. THEN it rattled. ??? It also was having a hard time getting it's jaw to re-aligned. It totally spooked me for the next few days. The horse only had one puncture wound and never even swelled up? Big snake too! The stupid snake waited till we were almost passed it---then bit first, before rattling?

The next was our niece and nephew playing in the pool and jumping off of our water fall. The 3 year old steps over the snake and then says, "there is a rattle snake mom." Sure enough it was around 2 feet long and just laid there as kids jumped and stepped over it. We all nearly had a heart attack thinking about the outcome that could of happened.

Then this baby rattler in the garage, another in the bush outside (almost wandering if it was the same one--both same size)

OH the one on our porch. My husband and I just happened to look out on the front porch and there was one in the corner. We stepped out---it sucked back--then rattled fiercely. We turned around and RAN inside....I think my husband almost ran me over.

Sorry for the this being so long, must of had to get this out of my system. LOL

I don't know where you live... but it sounds like HELL!!!!!! Where the hec do you live so that I NEVER EVER EVER Move there!!!!

ECK ECK EKCKKKKK

jollytrak
Nov. 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
I am so so so glad that I do not live where you do - I would not be handling what you described well at all. Rattle snakes that don't rattle, well that's just not fair!

Dot

I don't know where you live... but it sounds like HELL!!!!!! Where the hec do you live so that I NEVER EVER EVER Move there!!!!

ECK ECK EKCKKKKK

to cross off a few more states... the only States that do not have rattlesnakes are Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Delaware (but the latter two have other snakes to deal with :lol:

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Nov. 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
Kill them kill them kill them! Horrible things. I lost a JR 6 years ago to one & continually hear about snake problems. My JR was a house dog who just went out to pee! Now I can't relax even for a moment. Just hate snakes.

dotneko
Nov. 1, 2009, 07:43 PM
We do have rattlesnakes in Massachusetts, but
I thought they were only in the Berkshires.
I can't believe they are in NH or VT.

Dot

Watch Wee Willy
Nov. 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
oooohhhh, I hate snakes! Earlier in the summer, I was scooping poop out of the pasture, and a baby rattler (about the length and size of a pencil) crawled right between my feet! My husband was several yards away, and I tried to scream, but nothing would come out! I just watched it get away. I thought, "where in the heck did that come from?!" and looked down, and there was a freshly shed skin about two inches from my right foot. EWWW! I normally always have my "snake charmer" with me....but I uncharacteristically had forgotten to strap it on (my snake charmer is a Taurus Judge....I highly recommend them. They are a revolver that holds .45 colt ammo, and/or .410 shotgun shells....in the summer, I always keep it loaded with the .410's... they are the perfect ruin to Mr. Sneaky Snake's day!!!) We have an infestation of chipmunks around the pasture, and thats what they're after. The neighbor has about 4 cats, plus there are several strays that hang around, but they don't seem to be helping! We also have a problem with copperheads (they are after the 'munks too), and there are also 3 catfish ponds on the property, so we see lots of water moccassins (cottonmouths) too! :eek:

Ltc4h
Nov. 2, 2009, 08:45 AM
Rattlesnakes usually travel the same path for life, and tend to get "stuck" around our barns/flower beds/houses anything that disrupts their original path.
Why so many, most likely construction or something that has disrupted where they were.
Temperature and feed supply can make them slow.
There are Pigmy Rattlers, they do/can not rattle.
Also some others have gone quiet. Due us to killing off the better ones the weaker rattlers are now breeding and creating quiet or non rattlers.
If your up to it, get a piglet as a pet.
Allow it to free range just as a dog would, pigs hate snakes and will hunt and kill them.
Since they have a thick fat layer directly under the skin and no blood vessels there, even if they get bit the venom just sits dormant and no harm done.
A piglet- is easier to work with and train property boundries, also much easier to get horses used to the small ones.
Lived on larger land parcels, not sure how small your acerage-remember they are RUTTERS, but you'll have no snakes.

jaimebaker
Nov. 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
I've heard that too about the pigs. I've also heard Mountain Cur dogs are phenomenal at seeking them out and letting you know they are there.

Horsecrazy27
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
I've heard that too about the pigs. I've also heard Mountain Cur dogs are phenomenal at seeking them out and letting you know they are there.

Thanks for all the input.

Several other people close by have had baby rattlers too... wonder how many they have at one time? I have found 2, they have found a total of around 15!!

The one on the trail that didn't rattle till it bit mom's horse had around 15 buttons.
The one back by the barn that we scooped up, had around 16 buttons.
The one in the waterfall had 4 buttons.

The one that friend shot, had around 5 buttons, but half the rattle or more was broke off, but (Okay this is GROSS, but I'll share.) The guy chopped off his head and buried it. (Which reminds me of the video I found on youtupe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QY ) Then he planned on eating it (didn't want the meat to go to waste.), so for an hour he let it "bleed out" and then went to skin it. The darned thing when he picked it up (with head off), started to rattle and lifted up it's neck like it still had a head!!!! He gave it another 1/2 hour---it did it again! He finally threw it away because it creeped him out. AND ME!! But, the rattle worked just fine when the snake was dead. EWWWEEEEEE GETTING THE CREAPS AGAIN!

The two baby ones around 8 inches long, had one button.
The other 4 on the trail had more than ten---rattle was around 2+ inches long. One of them, was only around 2.5 feet, but was about the size of a "soup" can around, probably a momma getting ready to have babys. :(

No construction around us..... there is a home around 3/4 of a mile getting built. Our place is pretty cleared. We had cleared the property for two horse turn outs, and have limited our landscaping to keep some wide open spaces--just granite, no grass. BUT, Scottsdale makes you keep a border of what they call "NAOS", Natural area of open spaces. So, we have around 80 foot border of natural desert to the south of us, 60 feet to the front, 80 feet to the back and around 150 feet to the north of us. SO, that is their home. Our house is fairly new, built 2 years ago. So, maybe they are feeling comfortable enough come here again?

I had heard something about that with the rattlers, not rattling, because they were getting killed in the rattlesnake round ups. GREAT!!!!

BUT, I have a new motto. If it doesn't rattle when your close----off with their heads. Sorry, but as stated above, it isn't fair. They are SUPPOSE to rattle. The one that was by the barn, there was so much going on. Moving horses, wheel barrel getting dropped, people driving up, dogs running around, buckets getting dropped and then me screaming. My husband walked right up to it and nudged it with the poop wrake--it didn't do anything, just let him nudge him and flickered it's tongue. Then it tried to get away, I quickly was running everyone's horses OUT of the barn, incase it got under the side of the stall. The horses were afraid of me, because I was freaking out. They reminded me to stay calm--lol.

ICK---now I'm all creeped out thinking about those encounters. ICK!!!!! goose bumps too!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 2, 2009, 01:26 PM
I was driving through the reservation on my way home from a dog clinic, and listening to the local radio station last summer. There was a PSA announcement on rattlers and it said that the snakes also don't make noise when there has been a lot of rain, becuase the rattle gets waterlogged/soft.

I hate snakes.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
I like the idea of a pig. Maybe if it is just like Babe ;) Whenever I see a snake on our farm I am jumping at every little stick that I see for a week.

kookicat
Nov. 3, 2009, 06:31 AM
The one that friend shot, had around 5 buttons, but half the rattle or more was broke off, but (Okay this is GROSS, but I'll share.) The guy chopped off his head and buried it. (Which reminds me of the video I found on youtupe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QY ) Then he planned on eating it (didn't want the meat to go to waste.), so for an hour he let it "bleed out" and then went to skin it. The darned thing when he picked it up (with head off), started to rattle and lifted up it's neck like it still had a head!!!! He gave it another 1/2 hour---it did it again! He finally threw it away because it creeped him out. AND ME!! But, the rattle worked just fine when the snake was dead. EWWWEEEEEE GETTING THE CREAPS AGAIN!

It was a spinal reflex. Nothing creepy about that. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmCV-aVQOQ

WaningMoon
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:40 AM

Dot

Im in vermont and we get the occasional timber rattler but they are not real common. WEll, up here in the north, on the canadian border anyhow. I think they may be more prevalent in the southern part of the state. In 49 yrs, I have only seen one and have spent a lot of time in their likely environment.

rcloisonne
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:59 AM
to cross off a few more states... the only States that do not have rattlesnakes are Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Delaware (but the latter two have other snakes to deal with :lol:
No rattlers or any other poisonous snakes in RI. None AT ALL! :D

dotneko
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
NOT looking at these threads again.
The other thread shows someone in Texas
taking pictures of a snake swimming towards them
really pissed (water moccassin?) Definitely
not moving to Texas, no way, no how. I won't
even fly through DFW now.

Dot

Bluey
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
NOT looking at these threads again.
The other thread shows someone in Texas
taking pictures of a snake swimming towards them
really pissed (water moccassin?) Definitely
not moving to Texas, no way, no how. I won't
even fly through DFW now.

Dot

You just need a few good hawks around and your snake problems will be less:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Scan168September052009.jpg?t=1257260903

That picture was taken August 1 2009 by a friend, on a fence right by us.
Snake for breakfast.:cool:

2Jakes
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:04 PM
Someone did a study once to see how long a "dead" snake would stay alive. One of them had a residual heartbeat for 59 hours. "dead" snakes (ie a dismembered head) can and will bite, worst thing is that since it is a reflex bite, there is no holding back. Victim will Most likely have a severe envenomation.

CosMonster
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:09 PM
We have guinea hens and while they are ugly and loud as hell especially because they like to sit underneath my bedroom window at about 5 AM, they do a pretty good job of killing the smaller snakes. I've never seen them go after the bigger ones.

We also have a lot of hawks who have a taste for snakes, and a ton of roadrunners as well. Those little things like to go after rattlers like you wouldn't believe.

Bluey
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
One of the first nature documentary films of a roadrunner killing a rattler was shot in front of our house, almost 40 years ago.:yes:

cheval convert
Nov. 3, 2009, 04:56 PM

Dot

There are also rattlers in the Blue Hills - a ranger killed one on the trail many years ago.

smm20
Nov. 3, 2009, 05:09 PM
Joanne is right. In some areas, researchers are seeing a shift in the rattlesnake populations - the snakes are less likely to rattle. The hypothesis is that the snakes that do rattle are killed by people - either during roundups or by property owners. The snakes that don't rattle are not killed and survive to mate and therefore have a reproductive advantage. Later generations are also less likely to rattle. Natural selection at work.

chaltagor
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
No rattlers or any other poisonous snakes in RI. None AT ALL! :D

There are no poisonous snakes anywhere on the planet, RI or otherwise. ;)

And all snakes can rattle their tails when agitated or overfaced, just like all dogs point. It's only more developed in certain breeds/species. My corn snake reminds me of this whenever she's eating and is upset by someone too close to her tank.

Horsecrazy27
Nov. 4, 2009, 06:08 PM
We have 3 hawks that are constantly fighting above our property--don't know if they are siblings and such, but they flew right over a big ole rattle snake 3 times---it was laying across a road plain as day. They have controlled the pigeons in the area.

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:55 PM

ECK ECK EKCKKKKK

ME TOO!!!!!

EEK!!! That just sounds horrendous, and thank goodness we dont have any snakes in this country at all (other than at the zoo!!!)

I'd simply never go outside, and Im in awe that you do!

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:58 PM
One of the first nature documentary films of a roadrunner killing a rattler was shot in front of our house, almost 40 years ago.:yes:

Um. Ok. So I have to ask. What the heck is a roadrunner...I thought that was simply a cartoon character.....

Going off to google it now.... ;-)