PDA

View Full Version : All about your barn

eventr4life
Oct. 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
How did you make your barn horse friendly?
What things did you incorporate into it that you think are just AWESOME?
How did you "weatherize" it?
etc, etc, etc...
Thanks!!

ss3777
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
My favs:

Nelson waterers and sheds in the pastures
our very long hose in the barn is on an automatic reel (push a button and it rolls up)
our hose and water source live in an insulated ~house~ (4 feet x 4 feet)
It has a large door that we open for hose use in the winter
It also has a lamp that gets turned on in the winter and helps with heat.
large pastures that stay in grass
barn is built into a bank=cool in the summer warmer in winter

things I hope to change some day:

ring is way to far away from barn (especially when taking a fresh youngster away from his buds in nippy weather)
aisle is not wide enough
lowish ceilings (converted cow barn)

that is all for now :)

pony grandma
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:14 PM
A #1 = a large run-in stall (with a big sliding door). It has a huge wrap around shed roof and opens to a large paddock. It is big enough for one bossy mare to get the stall area and everyone else to still be able to be under the roof :D. We fasten a round bale into one corner and have a Nelson waterer. And it's big enough to get the tractor into for cleaning. It's also very shaded and stays very cool in the summer and wind gust free in the winter.

Your post was particularly asking for horse friendly - open stalls are nice too vs all boarded up as long as you don't have any bad behavors. And stall windows that they can hang out of!!

More horse friendly - plant some apple trees nearby. :yes: Pears too.

ThirdCharm
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:16 PM
Wide aisle.
Hose reel.
Slide-out saddle rack units (got them from Tack In The Box and I adore them, really maximize space in a small tack room! And they look nice).
ground level hay storage
centrally located barn, pasture and paddock gates all located close by
MVP: Bobcat skidsteer

Jennifer

retreadeventer
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:00 AM
Without a doubt - my warm water wash stall. (In barn).
Concrete floor we poured ourselves - hot water heater we bought for over half off - scratch and dent model - warm water all year round. Heat tape on the pipe in winter.
It drains outside to a french drain in a part of the yard not needed for traffic, and is minimal if you are only washing two horses or so a day.
But there is no question it is the very best $500 I have ever spent. Makes life MUCH easier. (My neighbors and friends even come over in the winter and bathe their horses, wrap them up and ship home!)

FairWeather
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:10 PM
My barn is too new to know what I'll like the most (squeal!) but I think that the wash stall with hot/cold will be up there.
Others are the AC/Heat in the tack room (will also be an office) and the super duper powerful fans i had wired for each stall from farm from FarmTek

Calvincrowe
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
My 12 x 48 foot "overhang" we built onto the existing barn. The stalls open out onto it with Dutch doors, it is built up much higher than the mud-free paddock, so it is always high and dry. I love it...

My thin rubber mat aisle "liners" that we put in a year ago over the smooth (who's stupid idea was that in a horse barn?!--not ours!) concrete floors. Inexpensive, durable, they stay put and sweep up great. One continuous run of rubber from door to end stall, 8 feet wide by 50 feet. Nice!

My High Country molded plastic corner hay feeders. No mess, big enough to hold 4 big bale flakes of hay, easy to clean and no bars to stick horsey legs into.

MVP: My Kubota tractor.

suz
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
the favorite feature at my barn is the overhang over each dutch door. each stall opens into the barnyard and each horse or goat can hang out in their stall with their head and shoulders out even in the pouring rain. my paint gelding loves his stall and would never come out if i let him.
that's the animals' favorite thing--mine is the double fence line between the barnyard and the busy road. it serves a double purpose--keeps all of the critters where i can see them--no disapearing around the corner of the barn, helps keep them away from the road, strangers away from them, and makes theft just a little bit harder with two double gates to negotiate through. guess that's more than two uses, they sure are a good thing!

Janet
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:04 PM
Stalls open up to paddock, and all pastures can be reached from the paddock by opening the right gates. So I never have to LEAD the horses in or out.

10 foot overhang over the outside stall doors, so the rain and snow stays out of the stalls.

Dutch doors

Concrete floors.

Wash stall with hot and cold water (runs from the house)

Heated water buckets.

SpottedTApps
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
Wash rack. No hot water, but the actual cement floor w/mats is a life saver when we ride 3-6 horses a day.

Slow feeders. I only have to feed the majority of my hay once a day. Yay!

Outlets above the stalls for fans.

MVP is a toss up between the Newer Spreader or the Rhino 4x4.

shawneeAcres
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:27 PM
there are a lot of things I made sure to do when we built this barn. First, my barn design which is my "own", very open and airy for hot eastern NC weather, yet has drop down windows that can be put up in bad weather, which have the "plexiglass" type covering like skylights in ceailings are made from, the windows face west, so on cold mornings the sun warms the stalls nicely thru the windows. interlocking mats, a "have to" have in my book! My round pen is just outside barn on end along with hitching rails to wash, we have a grooming/tack up stall but not a wash stall, would be nice to convert it soemday. My ring is about 100 feet or so from barn, very nice when teaching and I need a quick bottle of water! The layout of the barn and paddocks makes for very efficient use of space as well as ease of turnout etc. Outlets above each stalls for fans or lights on timers if you want to keep a summer coat in winter. Sliding doors ons talls (instead of "dutch" type on old barn, like sliding much better!) In summer, with the drop down windows down the horses can see out nearly 360 degrees which keeps them happy. Winter, they still can see out stall fronts easily

Nanerpus
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:28 PM
CENTRAL VAC, for horses and stalls and beams and cobwebs and everything!
WEATHERSTRIPPING where necessary
HEATED TACK/FEED ROOM with fridge, microwave, etc.
STAIRS to the second floor!
SEPERATE hay storage
DUTCH DOORS and lots of windows in the stalls
NELSON WATERERS
PEASTONE in run-in's
HOT WATER year round
BOBCAT 2300 with attachments :)

Bluey
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
Portable stalls, that can be rearranged as needed.

Runs out of each stall, so you can let a horse go out if it is new or needs to be kept confined, not pastured.

Overheads past the stall outside doors, so horses can stand outside and still under roof.

Lights from the side, not straight over horses, so you can see the legs.

WIDE aisle, from minimum of 12' to 16'.

horsetales
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:26 PM
Our tack room being well insulated - really easy to keep heated.
Closed in storage above the tack room for off-season storage (blankets, heaters, etc)
Camera system - wireless camera broadcasts to a small protable TV - good for foaling, security or looking in on stalled horses
Hoping I can add a warm-water wash rack - space is there, just have to put in floor and appropriate walls for wet conditions

Miss Motivation
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
Best things:

Neat boarders, fun to watch them enjoy themselves here.

Great help that make good money for honest work.

Mats, fly spray system, large low corner feeders with drains, wire stall gates, auto waterers with individual shut-offs, tie rings, bucket hooks. electrical plugs, lights- all this for every stall. (It cost us more than $500 per stall for 'furniture' but has paid off over time.)

Rubber mats in aisles.

Tack lockers, the best thing EVER.

Nice clean bathroom.

Large cross-ties, 8 x 12'

Timers on all the light switches.

Warm water wash rack with night lights.

Covered area with electricity just for the farriers.

Trees. :)

billiebob
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:33 PM
Here are some of my favorites.

Outlets by every stall, most stalls have access to 2.

Electric kettle that shuts off automatically. Great for bran mashes and hot chocolate.

The tree-shaded picnic and barbecue area.

Motion sensor lights in the hayloft and right outside the doors.

Lastly.....props to the Home Depot and feed store that are maybe 5 minutes away. :)