PDA

View Full Version : Wound Care for slow to heal wounds

Keep1Belle
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:34 PM
Last week (10/22), my horse was slightly injured. See my post on Off Course.

He had about 10 abrasions/lacerations/deep cuts.

Most have healed beautifully, crusting/scabbing over.

However 2 have not. I am wondering what to do to aid int he healing. the vet said to slather on the furacin until they start to heal/crust, then use alushield. Alushield is a aerosol spray breathable bandage,. Not sure if it has any healing properties other than it keeps dirt out and allows wound to heal. All wounds that could be banaged with furacin sweats were and they were left on for 5 days. These wounds couldnt be bandaged because of the location. These wounds wer also the deepest, not quite puncture, just deep scrapes??

Below are links to wounds that wont heal. One is behind the elbow it is deepest to the inside and then shallows to the outside. It is the inside that is still red, at times can ooze clear pus. The other is on the forearm. still alittle swollen and sore to the touch also will pus at times.

So 8 days post injury. How much progress should I expect to see. The vet said if the swelling persisted call her back out other wise keep treating with alushield.

This isnt my first horse. But this is the first one I have bought and paid for myself and have sole responsibility for. Also first one that I have and do not manage or live at the barn, so Im a bit of a worry wart with him.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34866953&l=95827ce9d2&id=18204172
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34866952&l=fb7468c3fa&id=18204172

***Also the other wounds on body have healed great. the ones on hocks and legs are scabbed over as well but the leg to me feels thicker, not really swollen. This is probably all in my mind, but if i dont see a change i will call the vet.

Donkey
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:24 PM
My horse got kicked in the forearm a month ago and the resulting wound is still closing up. I has never really scabbed but it is slowly getting smaller. It pussed and fussed for a good two weeks. I kept my horse on antibiotics until the puss subsided and then it just looked red and raw (and still does - but it gets a little smaller every day). Keep in mind that puss is natures way of cleaning and flushing the wound so I'd just keep doing what your vet suggested and only worry if the wound really swells up or gets hot. If new skin has to grow to cover the wound it will take time - healing from the inside out, and new skin growing from the outside in.

Equibrit
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
This stuff is expensive but magic, and a little goes a long way.
http://www.equaide.com/?gclid=CK_i1_Po5Z0CFSa0sgodmGzdMA

Stono Ferry
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:38 PM
IMHO I would stop with the Furacin. It can slow healing on deeper wounds. It has been my experience that to get things to heal well you have to do the opposite- if it's wet and weepy, dry it up with some type of wound powder (NOT Wonder Dust as that is caustic); if it's dry and crusty use some antibiotic cream- Novalson is great or Povodine Iodine Cream.

Jessi P
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ditto Stono Ferry - Furacin will delay healing after a certain point. Start letting the wounds dry up a bit - if your horse will let you, and you CAN, clip the hair away from the edges of the wounds, to help increase the available oxygen to the area. All the best.

Donkey
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
I also agree with the above - keep the wound dry, stop the furacin and no cold hosing otherwise you may end up with a proud flesh situation.

The instructions I was given for my horse's cut was to feed antibiotics, trim hair around wound, wipe of puss over spill to prevent scalding and otherwise ignore, ignore, ignore. Wounds above the knee usually heal best without any intervention/human fussing.

DMK
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
as long as no excess granulation tissue is forming and flies aren't an issue, I'd stay away from anything except maybe flushing with saline nolvasan solution or a dilute nolvasan scrub, but I'm a minimalist kind of girl. However, most research done on a variety of wound ointments a few years ago showed that NONE of them sped up healing and some actually slowed healing so my minimalism is based in some science. ;)

I like alushield when I think flies are a problem, and if I absolutely MUST put something on or I will explode (the tendency to "do" overtakes my common sense every now and then) I'll use derma clens.

I'm finishing week 6 of bandaging this delightful wound (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3938815334_2260975b8b_o.jpg) - the stitches didn't hold and it's had one trimming of granulation tissue and one opening of a infected track and a second round of abx. With any degree of luck it won't need another "trim job" but since I don't have even a degreee of luck these days, I'm not holding my breath. Lots of goop put on this one, but obviously it's in the aggressive proud flesh management phase and will be until it is closed.

*Liz*
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:45 PM
Calmoseptine.

You can buy it at a drugstore (though these days it seems to be a special order item). It works wonders on 'drying' up oozing, yucky wounds. I've used it for my mare when she jumped (not completely successfully) a barb wire fence, when my mom's pony severely sliced himself (missing about a square foot or more of hair, skin, etc. on his rump) on sharp metal in the pasture, and for numerous small cuts, nicks, and the like. As a bonus, it creates a wonderful barrier protecting the wound from flies and debris, no need for alushield (or SWAT, etc.) Good luck!

Hampton Bay
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:00 PM
I've had a lot of luck with Banixx on a cut around the coronet band. It's a topical antibacterial/antifungal spray (also available as a gel). Of course the wound had to be bandaged, and has abscessed twice now, but the stuff really seems to help heal it up quickly. It was looking wonderful until the second abscess burst THRU the still-healing flesh :rolleyes:

goeslikestink
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
Last week (10/22), my horse was slightly injured. See my post on Off Course.

He had about 10 abrasions/lacerations/deep cuts.

Most have healed beautifully, crusting/scabbing over.

However 2 have not. I am wondering what to do to aid int he healing. the vet said to slather on the furacin until they start to heal/crust, then use alushield. Alushield is a aerosol spray breathable bandage,. Not sure if it has any healing properties other than it keeps dirt out and allows wound to heal. All wounds that could be banaged with furacin sweats were and they were left on for 5 days. These wounds couldnt be bandaged because of the location. These wounds wer also the deepest, not quite puncture, just deep scrapes??

Below are links to wounds that wont heal. One is behind the elbow it is deepest to the inside and then shallows to the outside. It is the inside that is still red, at times can ooze clear pus. The other is on the forearm. still alittle swollen and sore to the touch also will pus at times.

So 8 days post injury. How much progress should I expect to see. The vet said if the swelling persisted call her back out other wise keep treating with alushield.

This isnt my first horse. But this is the first one I have bought and paid for myself and have sole responsibility for. Also first one that I have and do not manage or live at the barn, so Im a bit of a worry wart with him.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34866953&l=95827ce9d2&id=18204172
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34866952&l=fb7468c3fa&id=18204172

***Also the other wounds on body have healed great. the ones on hocks and legs are scabbed over as well but the leg to me feels thicker, not really swollen. This is probably all in my mind, but if i dont see a change i will call the vet.

get another large animal vet - that horse needs anti botics and some good cleaning out
its not healing becuase theres an infection in there

Merle
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:47 PM
get another large animal vet - that horse needs anti botics and some good cleaning out

Pretty sure you're looking at the furacin and thinking it's pus. Doesn't look infected to me - it's just what the goop looks like.

I'd go with what your vet says. I'd probably stop with the furacin once the pus stops coming out, especially with the elbow scrape since it looks like it is healing a bit on the outside.

Keep1Belle
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:55 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry I didnt mention it in my post. He was on antibiotics, SMZs, for 6 days, 15 tabs am & pm along with 1000lb dose of banamine first 2 days, 30cc genocin 1/day for 3 days, 1gram bute am and pm for remainding 5 days. wounds that could be wrapped were wrapped

Liz and DMK: flies are not a problem this time of year in MD. But he still gets turned out lots of mud/dirt, etc. would you still not use alushield? The way the vet explained it, it works as a spray on band-aid that is breathable...

Equibrit: I see they carry equade at my local tack shop, I will call them tomorrow and see if they have it in stock.

I tried this aloe spray once it came in 2 forms 1 spray in a yellow bottle for fresh wounds, another spray in an orage bottle for healing wounds. workded great for a horse that got out and got caught in barbed wire...wish I could remember what it was. anyone know??

Meredith Clark
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:53 AM
I had a horse who had a pretty bad puncture wound and I would clean it with Nolvasan scrub and then wrap it with a warm animal intec police pad. It healed very well and didn't scar.

My current horse has had 2 pretty deep wounds and in addition to antibiotics I've been cleaning it with a good scrub and just putting a triple antibiotic ointment on it.

I sweated it once because it was so swollen and that helped 100%.

I have used Wonder Dust in the past, I know a previous poster said not to use it but it can be helpful if used correctly.

DMK
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:47 AM
yeah, i there was lots of dirt, alushield would be my favorite as well. I do love the stuff, notwithstanding my tendency to start using on every. possible. wound. I'm not saying I abuse the stuff, but if you ever see a horse with his name painted in giant silver letters, he might have been near me and a can of alushield...

grayarabpony
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:51 AM
DMK :lol:

I love Alushield too, for keeping wounds that can't be stitched clean.

lolalola
Oct. 31, 2009, 08:31 PM
Years ago, my gelding had a very nasty wound above his left rear coronary band and after weeks of wrapping and putting on the medication given by the vet, nothing was healing. A vet tech stopped by the barn (I think she posts on here) and recommended Wonder Dust. I used it and the wound finally started healing. Today there is just a small scar there.

Keep1Belle
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks all. I cleaned off the proud flesh and oher ickies today. since it was warm he got a full bath. the forearm cut is the worse then there is the one on the hock. I thought the elbow/underarm was worse, but once removing the dead skin I can see it is not so bad.

So since he is on day turn-out and it is a mucky mess from all the rain and he is a pig i will keepo with the alushield. and check out the equade that was previously suggested.

the puss has stopped but wounds are still a little reddish pink/raw. Guess it will be a slow process for him to heal from inside out.

It could hav been worse as he did collide with a iron bench, and knocked its leg off, glad there are not any really punctures to deal with.

Bluehorsesjp
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:26 PM
This stuff is expensive but magic, and a little goes a long way.
http://www.equaide.com/?gclid=CK_i1_Po5Z0CFSa0sgodmGzdMA

I will second equiade. It is amazing stuff. I have a mare who had the never healing cut on the front side of her hock. I actually got larger and gapped open for a long time. It did take about 6 weeks to heal completely, but the Equiade forms a barrier that keeps everything clean and protected.

I ordered my equialde on the internet. I don't think it is widely distributed. But I am glad I bought it.

Stacie
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:28 PM
This stuff is the bomb.

http://www.eclipseforwounds.com/

You can get it from Valley Vet.

My filly had a bad spider bite that went necrotic (brown recluse most likely) and a silver dollar sized area of skin turned black and fell out like a plug. Thankfully it was just her skin (but all of it) and no muscle underneath.

Anyway, we have no proud flesh, no infection and the area is beginning to grow hair.

thatmoody
Nov. 1, 2009, 06:58 AM
Just so that you feel better, this is one of the worst that I've rehabbed - right into the joint capsule so required antibiotic infusion (where they tourniquet above and below the joint and infuse with antibiotics to keep the joint from getting infected. It was actually a finger length deep (I could stick my index finger ALL the way inside the wound). 3 months of wrapping the hock (a very difficult area) with stall rest and not knowing if he was going to make it every week.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k307/thatmoody/kathy049.jpg
This is after one month - significant healing but still pretty gross. We kept it wrapped with a gentle ointment (banxx) on it to soften the scar tissue. At about a month he had to have proud flesh removed so we added granulex spray to the mix.

This is him now on the right :). He's perfectly sound, and doing quite well - he can jump, too!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k307/thatmoody/IMG_0184.jpg
(I'm on the big horse to his left, btw)

ChocoMare
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:11 AM
Bannix!