PDA

View Full Version : Renting barn stall for rainy days, what charge would be fair?

Dune
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:38 PM
Board at this particular barn ranges from $275-450. Said barn has MANY vacancies. Have 2 horse in self-maintained small pasture that I'd like to keep nice by bringing horses into barn on the really rainy days. Too much mud + too many hooves= NO more nice pasture. What would be fair to offer the BO? Thanks for the help!

joiedevie99
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:08 PM
Depends... My barn charges $25 per day for people who trailer in for a lesson or clinic and need one for one reason or another. If the stalls aren't kept bedded, they will have to put 3-4 bags of shavings in, then clean or strip it. Thats a decent amount of $ in supplies and labor.

jn4jenny
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:32 AM
ETA: If this is YOU making the call about the horses coming in/out, then you shouldn't charge anything or should just raise the board to cover your costs. I would expect that service from any pasture board operation that didn't have a sacrifice paddock. If it's the BOARDERS deciding that they want the horses in on certain days and you're wanting to make that a profit opportunity, then I've given my advice below.

If you're providing the shavings and mucking, then take your stall board rate and divide it by 30. Use that as a place to start negotiating.

If they're providing the shavings and mucking, then you can sort of make it up as you go along. Make sure you have some system by which you can capture extra money if they don't muck--for example, they have to write you two checks for $15 and $10 and you'll tear up the $10 one if they strip the stall.

tBHj
Oct. 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
If my horse was on pasture board and the BO decided the field needed a break I would not expect to pay anything to have my horse is a stall for a few days.

trubandloki
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:04 AM
Your question is confusing, are you the barn owner looking to make money off stalls with out horses in them or are you a horse owner that wants a cheap stall?

I can see a daily stall fee being an amount slightly higher than the monthly board divided by 30. Random extras usually cost more than long term commitments.

GoForAGallop
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:11 AM
If my horse was on pasture board and the BO decided the field needed a break I would not expect to pay anything to have my horse is a stall for a few days.

Me neither. It's not my fault that the barn doesn't have a sacrifice pasture or something. If I'm paying for pasture board, I should not have random stall charges. And who decides if the field is too wet? What if the entire winter is too wet? Will I have to pay stall board for two months??

SpottedTApps
Oct. 30, 2009, 09:53 AM
Multiple answers for a broad question.

If they want to just use a stall, they do all work, they bring horse in, they bed, they feed, they clean... $5-10 a day.

If you do all work, you bring horse in, you bed, you feed, you clean... $20-25 a day.

Depending on what the situation is, it could be anywhere between the two prices. No more than the $25 a day though.

Dune
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
Your question is confusing, are you the barn owner looking to make money off stalls with out horses in them or are you a horse owner that wants a cheap stall?

I can see a daily stall fee being an amount slightly higher than the monthly board divided by 30. Random extras usually cost more than long term commitments.

Ok, sorry, I was trying to be vague so that you all weren't biased one way or the other. Guess that didn't work too well. ;) Small pastures are maintained by the boarders, you rent the space do all the maintenance (weeding/seeding) and BO clean twice a week and feed/water daily. Because these are small pastures, they don't hold up well in the rain and I'd like to "save" them by bringing my horses into the barn when the pastures are *really* wet, and only then. I was thinking about offering a "per day stay" that would work for both parties, I just didn't know what was fair. I was trying to think of it from both sides, since I've been on both ends of the deal. :) I'd be deciding when horses would come in, would bring them in myself and could even provide the shavings to start with, I'm thinking that's the most expensive part. Would love your unbiased opinion.

2foals
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
It will be tedious for your BO to have to keep track of how many days your horses were in each month. I would figure out approximately how many nights of stabling you might use in a month, and then expect to pay a slightly higher per day rate for those stalls than the stall boarders do, especially if the barn beds & cleans the stall, etc. The reason for the higher rate is that predictable work and bedding supply needs is easier to deal with than unpredictable work and supply needs, and also you are still "taking up stalls" even if you aren't using them every day (it doesn't matter that the barn has extras.)

Lets say the barn charges $15/day for stall board, you pay $10/day for pasture board. Assume that your per day rate for stall board should be about $16 or $17. So, $7 x 6 days = $42 extra per month per horse. Just a possible example.

pony89
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:47 PM
As a boarder, if I want my mare in a stall when it's gross out or she is ill or injured, I expect to pay full board even if she is out 24/7 the rest of the time. To me, the privilege of having a stall available when I want/need it means I am paying for the stall, and the fact that she is out 24/7 the rest of the time just means I lucked out and found a place with really good turnout!!!

If a sacrifice paddock was really important to me, I would scope that out when barn hunting. Maybe BO would let you use some temp fencing to limit the horses to a smaller area of the pasture and save the rest of the grass?

Since she has many vacancies, maybe she would cut you a break w/a daily rate, but I would ask her what she would charge, with the understanding that when you start talking about putting a horse in a stall whenever the weather isn't suitable, you are now talking about stall board with practically 24/7 turnout rather than true pasture board.

My opinion might be slightly colored by living in an area where 24/7 turnout at a farm with stalls and an indoor is practically unheard of, though!

spotmenow
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
This is EXACTLY why we charge a flat rate. It includes a stall. You can use it daily, weekly, or yearly. Because if your horse is outside, I still have to bring it in twice a day to eat AND pick up all the manure in the sheds, fields, and sacrifice areas.

I guess take the cost for stall board and pro-rate it.

Long Spot
Oct. 31, 2009, 05:16 AM
This is going to sound snarky and I really don't mean it to be, but my answer is: : Ask the BO.

I'm not sure that is something you can make an offer on. What seems fair to you might not seem fair to the BO. I think you need to just ask what they want to charge for that. They are the only ones really in the know about how much they are paying for shavings and labor. Sadly, just because there are open stalls, doesn't change the cost of materials or man hours. If you are willing to buy your own bedding and do the cleaning yourself, then you might be in a position to make an offer, but otherwise I think it's the BO's decision on what they'd like to charge for that and what is fair in their opinion.

nightsong
Oct. 31, 2009, 05:54 AM
I assume the pasture includes SHELTER (if it doesn't, it's in violation of many regulations). How about asking the barn owner if it's okay to install a pre-made gate (like pipe panels) to keep the horses in? Or perhaps corral panels, which are verrrrry movable.

ESG
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:15 AM
This is EXACTLY why we charge a flat rate. It includes a stall. You can use it daily, weekly, or yearly. Because if your horse is outside, I still have to bring it in twice a day to eat AND pick up all the manure in the sheds, fields, and sacrifice areas.

Exactly. Boarders don't seem to understand that it's the "justs" ("Well, I just want them brought in for a week when my pasture is wet" or "I don't see why full board is so much extra - I just want my blankets changed three times a day!") that cost the barn staff so much extra time,..........which translates into extra money. And keeping track of the "justs" is even more of a PITA. So, by the end of the month, the "justs" will quite probably have added up to much more than full board. Suck it up and pay full board for the months you think "your" paddock/pasture needs a break.

I guess take the cost for stall board and pro-rate it.

Absolutely not. See reasons above.

Dune
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:43 AM
Exactly. Boarders don't seem to understand that it's the "justs" ("Well, I just want them brought in for a week when my pasture is wet" or "I don't see why full board is so much extra - I just want my blankets changed three times a day!") that cost the barn staff so much extra time,..........which translates into extra money. And keeping track of the "justs" is even more of a PITA. So, by the end of the month, the "justs" will quite probably have added up to much more than full board. Suck it up and pay full board for the months you think "your" paddock/pasture needs a break.

Absolutely not. See reasons above.

OK, let's not get into a rant about PIA boarders, ESG. I've heard your complaints before and wasn't asking for that on this thread. ;) So, when you guys are saying "full board" or "flat rate", do you mean that you'd pay box stall rates? So, for example, if your pasture costs $600 for both horses but a box stall for *each* horse is $400 (which would be $800 for both), would you expect to pay the $800.00 or that amount *plus* the pasture fee? :confused: BTW, for those that mentioned it, I figured I'd buy shavings and just kinda "keep" the same 2 stalls for the winter, I'd be moving the horses and could/would keep track of the days used. The only thing that would change for the guys is the horses would be in a different location, they still feed/clean regardless of location. TIA!

Dune
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:52 AM
This is going to sound snarky and I really don't mean it to be, but my answer is: : Ask the BO.

I'm not sure that is something you can make an offer on. What seems fair to you might not seem fair to the BO. I think you need to just ask what they want to charge for that. They are the only ones really in the know about how much they are paying for shavings and labor. Sadly, just because there are open stalls, doesn't change the cost of materials or man hours. If you are willing to buy your own bedding and do the cleaning yourself, then you might be in a position to make an offer, but otherwise I think it's the BO's decision on what they'd like to charge for that and what is fair in their opinion.

LOL, doesn't sound snarky at all. :lol: Yes, I've started dialog with her, I was just wondering what was fair/typical that's all.

I assume the pasture includes SHELTER (if it doesn't, it's in violation of many regulations). How about asking the barn owner if it's okay to install a pre-made gate (like pipe panels) to keep the horses in? Or perhaps corral panels, which are verrrrry movable.

WEll....technically it does have a shelter, but it's a free standing 12x12 with no sides to it. So, basically it provides some shade but no protection from the wind or rain. :no: Part of the reason for asking folks' opinion is to determine what's fair, and depending on what the BO says in this instance, whether or not my $$ would be better spent on building something in the pasture itself.

pony89
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:29 PM
OK, let's not get into a rant about PIA boarders, ESG. I've heard your complaints before and wasn't asking for that on this thread. ;) So, when you guys are saying "full board" or "flat rate", do you mean that you'd pay box stall rates? So, for example, if your pasture costs $600 for both horses but a box stall for *each* horse is $400 (which would be $800 for both), would you expect to pay the $800.00 or that amount *plus* the pasture fee? :confused: BTW, for those that mentioned it, I figured I'd buy shavings and just kinda "keep" the same 2 stalls for the winter, I'd be moving the horses and could/would keep track of the days used. The only thing that would change for the guys is the horses would be in a different location, they still feed/clean regardless of location. TIA!

Do the horses w/box stalls also have their own pastures for turnout? If so, I'd expect to be paying 800. If your horses are going to have access to a stall whenever, plus a private pasture, I could understand a higher cost. Not necessarily 1400, but possibly 1000 or so, which would be 100 extra per horse for private turnout. You would really have to talk to the BO to see what she thinks is reasonable. You'd be taking up space that could fit 2 other horses, but on the other hand, she wouldn't have quite as much labor. It really depends on the BO's priorities and prior experiences with making special accommodations, how much a change like this is worth to her.

Phaxxton
Oct. 31, 2009, 04:04 PM
As a boarder, if I want my mare in a stall when it's gross out or she is ill or injured, I expect to pay full board even if she is out 24/7 the rest of the time. To me, the privilege of having a stall available when I want/need it means I am paying for the stall, and the fact that she is out 24/7 the rest of the time just means I lucked out and found a place with really good turnout!!!

If a sacrifice paddock was really important to me, I would scope that out when barn hunting. Maybe BO would let you use some temp fencing to limit the horses to a smaller area of the pasture and save the rest of the grass?

Since she has many vacancies, maybe she would cut you a break w/a daily rate, but I would ask her what she would charge, with the understanding that when you start talking about putting a horse in a stall whenever the weather isn't suitable, you are now talking about stall board with practically 24/7 turnout rather than true pasture board.

My opinion might be slightly colored by living in an area where 24/7 turnout at a farm with stalls and an indoor is practically unheard of, though!

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you want access to a stall whenever you feel like using it, then you should expect to pay whatever the BO's rate for stall board is -- no matter how often your horses use their stalls

citydog
Oct. 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
I think paying the stall board rate is only fair if there aren't any vacancies. The OP said there are plenty of vacant stalls.

Dune
Oct. 31, 2009, 04:40 PM
Do the horses w/box stalls also have their own pastures for turnout? If so, I'd expect to be paying 800. If your horses are going to have access to a stall whenever, plus a private pasture, I could understand a higher cost. Not necessarily 1400, but possibly 1000 or so, which would be 100 extra per horse for private turnout. You would really have to talk to the BO to see what she thinks is reasonable. You'd be taking up space that could fit 2 other horses, but on the other hand, she wouldn't have quite as much labor. It really depends on the BO's priorities and prior experiences with making special accommodations, how much a change like this is worth to her.

Horses in box stalls don't have their own pastures, just to clarify that. In a high density area, so we do things a bit differently here. Does that change your answer?

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you want access to a stall whenever you feel like using it, then you should expect to pay whatever the BO's rate for stall board is -- no matter how often your horses use their stalls

Ok, so instead of paying $600 ($300 per horse) for the pasture, then paying $800 ($400 per horse) would be fair/normal/expected?...or is that on top of the pasture costs.....just trying to determine what is done at other barns. Thanks.

I think paying the stall board rate is only fair if there aren't any vacancies. The OP said there are plenty of vacant stalls.

Yes, in fact there are NO horses in the barn right now, although she said that could change but knowing the facility/management like I do....I highly doubt it. The barn has NEVER been full in the 40 years it's been in existence. I realize that doesn't change the "worth" of the stall, but just FWIW. Thanks everyone, this is helping!:yes:

spotmenow
Oct. 31, 2009, 06:05 PM

I mean that everyone pays the same rate to board their horse here. Each horse has a box stall available to them at all times. But, the board rate also includes individual graining twice daily...we don't do "pasture board" where the horse doesn't get any grain and just gets a round bale and water. Even my draft cross gelding who gets a handful of feed needs his joint supplement and private time to eat it :)

What I am saying is that those boarders who choose not to use their box stalls daily are still costing us $$$ in labor and sand because we clean run-ins and sacrifice areas daily and pastures twice a week...plus separating their horses out for grain.

nightsong
Nov. 1, 2009, 01:56 AM
LOL, doesn't sound snarky at all. :lol: Yes, I've started dialog with her, I was just wondering what was fair/typical that's all.

WEll....technically it does have a shelter, but it's a free standing 12x12 with no sides to it. So, basically it provides some shade but no protection from the wind or rain. :no: Part of the reason for asking folks' opinion is to determine what's fair, and depending on what the BO says in this instance, whether or not my $$ would be better spent on building something in the pasture itself.

Another option might be to RENT a shelter. I don't know what's available in your area, but the local pre-built shedrow/run-in/toolshed/playhouse builder sells AND RENTS horse barns. The type of 'barn' i'm talking about is the type usually advertised as "Amish-built", although there are no Amish around here. See Lancaster Barns, Horizon and others for ideas of what i'm talking about. There's also an active market locally for re-sales of these.

Dune
Nov. 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Another option might be to RENT a shelter. I don't know what's available in your area, but the local pre-built shedrow/run-in/toolshed/playhouse builder sells AND RENTS horse barns. The type of 'barn' i'm talking about is the type usually advertised as "Amish-built", although there are no Amish around here. See Lancaster Barns, Horizon and others for ideas of what i'm talking about. There's also an active market locally for re-sales of these.

Hmm, never even thought of that idea, I figured it wouldn't cost too much to make something from the existing shelter. They also have all kinds of shelters just sitting around, I could ask about that too. So, do I understand correctly that most folks think that full stall board would be reasonable, NOT stall board PLUS my pasture fee? And that I'd be counting my lucky stars if I happened to get her to say yes to a per diem fee??

CatOnLap
Nov. 1, 2009, 11:25 AM
I just read the thread and that's the consensus.
Access to a stall, whether you use it or not, is stall board, albeit with great turnout. If your horses that are on stall board do not get turnout, then, I woldn't be surprised if the BO charged you MORE than stall board to have access to both great turnout and a stall. And as a BO I'd be a bit upset to have someone put walls and a gate on my shelters- especially if the rest of the shelters are built to match- or to haul in a rent a barn to sit in the pasture to get around paying stall board.

Here land is at a premium. Someone wants stall board- that's what it is- a stall with mucking and feeding provided- no turnout. Someone wants pasture turnout- which because of the rains, has to be seasonal- they will pay MORE than stall board, because what they are getting is a stall plus great turnout.

Taking care of pasture turnout properly is way more work than stall mucking. The horses must be kept in individual pastures ore they must be separated for graining=lots of time to separate. Pastures must be picked a minimum of every second or third day=more walking and harder to pick poop out of grass. pastures must be watered in summer and mowed to keep weeds down and fertilized and seeded- a lot of work compared to the 5 minutes it takes to scoop the poop in a stall every day.

I understand that you take care of your pastures yourself and that the shelter is already there. I would ask the BO if you could install sides and a gate to make the shelter into a useful confinement area.

If not, the going rate for use of a boxstall at our local show grounds for one night is $25 plus a $25 deposit if you don't leave the stall clean. And you have to supply your own bedding. At show grounds in the big city, the going rate is $50-60 a night, but they supply enough shavings at the beginning of a weekend and you leave a $100 deposit against any damage to the stall and mucking.

trubandloki
Nov. 2, 2009, 08:59 AM
This question sounds like it has some regional issues that totally affect the answer.

Ask the BO and go from there.

None of us are going to be able to give you an idea if the BO is going to be willing to do anything. For all we know there are empty stalls because the BO wants there to be empty stalls.

I assume the pasture includes SHELTER (if it doesn't, it's in violation of many regulations).

Not all areas of the country require shelter for horses.

ayrabz
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
informative thread, on a comparison basis...but again this seems to be a specific thread to your own personal situation? So, for your info, I think it would be best to: access what your barn owner charges for full board. Divide that by the number of days in the month, and realize thats the breakdown. Then, inquire if they are open to such a payment per need scenario.
Each barn offers different scenarios, and costs....you're basically asking for full board on a 'need' basis, and only they can answer that for you. Your research can share with them what others pay, but it will still come down to their costs, and your agreement with those costs. Every barn is different, and thats their choice in offerings.

SharonA
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
Just asking, because I know that in some areas there aren't alot of choices, but, is there another barn that might serve your needs better? Something with larger pastures and an in/out stall? The "I might need a stall but I might not" thing could get confusing for everybody (not attacking you at all; just saying it might end up being confusing and causing resentment).

Would your horse(s) be annoyed at being stalled instead of being outside? If so, I'd maybe ask if I could build/borrow/rent a shed for the pasture. I'd probably go for the relative freedom of even a small pasture, supplemented by lots of hay, over being stalled in order to have grass later, but that's entirely a matter of personal preference and opinion and you knowing your horse.

Good luck! It's hard enough finding pasture in suburban Massachusetts; can't imagine how challenging it is to find in high-sensity, high-cost, semi-arid places like San Diego, etc.

Dune
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
I just read the thread and that's the consensus.
Access to a stall, whether you use it or not, is stall board, albeit with great turnout. If your horses that are on stall board do not get turnout, then, I woldn't be surprised if the BO charged you MORE than stall board to have access to both great turnout and a stall. And as a BO I'd be a bit upset to have someone put walls and a gate on my shelters- especially if the rest of the shelters are built to match- or to haul in a rent a barn to sit in the pasture to get around paying stall board.

Uh, this place just ain't that fancy. You should see some of the crap folks have put up. :lol: And it's not "great turnout", it's a small pasture that's *maybe* 1/4 acre.

Taking care of pasture turnout properly is way more work than stall mucking. The horses must be kept in individual pastures ore they must be separated for graining=lots of time to separate. Pastures must be picked a minimum of every second or third day=more walking and harder to pick poop out of grass. pastures must be watered in summer and mowed to keep weeds down and fertilized and seeded- a lot of work compared to the 5 minutes it takes to scoop the poop in a stall every day.

Like I said before, they don't do any of this. WE do it all. :yes:

I understand that you take care of your pastures yourself and that the shelter is already there. I would ask the BO if you could install sides and a gate to make the shelter into a useful confinement area.

Yes, that's why I started the thread, to see if that would just be easier/better. The trick is making them waterproof enough, yet open enough for the guys to throw hay. NO way they'd actually walk into the pasture to feed, they just do a "drive-by". Plus, because the pasture (paddock, really) is so small, I hate to take away any space.

This question sounds like it has some regional issues that totally affect the answer.

Ask the BO and go from there.

None of us are going to be able to give you an idea if the BO is going to be willing to do anything. For all we know there are empty stalls because the BO wants there to be empty stalls.

Not all areas of the country require shelter for horses.

Yes, the region definitely affects the answer and I'm in dialog with the owner now. And our area of the country only requires shelter from the sun, as in a tree, not necessarily protection from wind/rain.

informative thread, on a comparison basis...but again this seems to be a specific thread to your own personal situation? So, for your info, I think it would be best to: access what your barn owner charges for full board. Divide that by the number of days in the month, and realize thats the breakdown. Then, inquire if they are open to such a payment per need scenario.
Each barn offers different scenarios, and costs....you're basically asking for full board on a 'need' basis, and only they can answer that for you. Your research can share with them what others pay, but it will still come down to their costs, and your agreement with those costs. Every barn is different, and thats their choice in offerings.

Yes, you're right, I was just trying to get a "feel" for it. Perhaps I should've asked for a regional response. It sure is different throughout the country. Wow! Who knew?:eek:

Just asking, because I know that in some areas there aren't alot of choices, but, is there another barn that might serve your needs better? Something with larger pastures and an in/out stall? The "I might need a stall but I might not" thing could get confusing for everybody (not attacking you at all; just saying it might end up being confusing and causing resentment).

Well, they are the only place in the area with pastures of any sort along with riding arenas. Sure there are lots of other places to board, I just thought I'd ask. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, really. :confused:

Would your horse(s) be annoyed at being stalled instead of being outside? If so, I'd maybe ask if I could build/borrow/rent a shed for the pasture. I'd probably go for the relative freedom of even a small pasture, supplemented by lots of hay, over being stalled in order to have grass later, but that's entirely a matter of personal preference and opinion and you knowing your horse.

You're right, I have one that especially dislikes being stalled, but you do what you have to do. It is really a tiny pasture and the grass will be GONE if we get a decent rain and 2 horses tromp all over it....guaranteed! I was just trying to think of a way to preserve it. Maybe something built in the pasture would be better, although like I said before, it's a tiny pasture that I hate to break up into even tinier pieces. ;)

Phaxxton
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
Ok, so instead of paying $600 ($300 per horse) for the pasture, then paying $800 ($400 per horse) would be fair/normal/expected?...or is that on top of the pasture costs.....just trying to determine what is done at other barns. Thanks.

Are you on self-care or partial self-care board? I would expect to pay whatever the going rate is for self-care stall board. If you're on full board, then I would expect to pay the going rate for full stall board.

Since there are a lot of vacancies at your barn, you might be able to work something out with the BO to have a stall available only in inclement weather for a discount off regular stall board... but when business picks up again, be prepared to be booted from that stall.

Dune
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:20 AM
Are you on self-care or partial self-care board? I would expect to pay whatever the going rate is for self-care stall board. If you're on full board, then I would expect to pay the going rate for full stall board.

Since there are a lot of vacancies at your barn, you might be able to work something out with the BO to have a stall available only in inclement weather for a discount off regular stall board... but when business picks up again, be prepared to be booted from that stall.

Here, we don't have "full or partial board", it's by the stall, corral, pasture you rent. In other words, it's the space you occupy versus the services rendered. Food/water/cleaning are services rendered for all daily.

BEARCAT
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:57 AM
Don't really have anything to add - I'm just amazed you can keep grass on a 1/4 acre with 2 horses on there full time!! (I live in an area where grass is sparse...)

How about just sectionning a corner with electric tape? or even panels, which while expensive, would still be cheaper than stalling...

trubandloki
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
Don't really have anything to add - I'm just amazed you can keep grass on a 1/4 acre with 2 horses on there full time!!

Yeah! Me too! I can not believe that with two horses on it full time that 1/4 acre would ever have any grass at all.

ESG
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:20 PM
OK, let's not get into a rant about PIA boarders, ESG. I've heard your complaints before and wasn't asking for that on this thread. ;)

No offense intended.

So, when you guys are saying "full board" or "flat rate", do you mean that you'd pay box stall rates? So, for example, if your pasture costs $600 for both horses but a box stall for *each* horse is $400 (which would be $800 for both), would you expect to pay the $800.00 or that amount *plus* the pasture fee? :confused:

No, you misunderstood me. "Full board" means a stall, cleaned X times per day, plus turnout plus feeding X times per day. If your barn has stalls available and offers full board, you should pay the full board fee only, for however many months you think your pasture needs to rest.

BTW, for those that mentioned it, I figured I'd buy shavings and just kinda "keep" the same 2 stalls for the winter, I'd be moving the horses and could/would keep track of the days used. The only thing that would change for the guys is the horses would be in a different location, they still feed/clean regardless of location. TIA!

So, does your barn offer full board, or just the "added stall days" option? :confused: I'm confused.

Dune
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
Don't really have anything to add - I'm just amazed you can keep grass on a 1/4 acre with 2 horses on there full time!! (I live in an area where grass is sparse...)

How about just sectionning a corner with electric tape? or even panels, which while expensive, would still be cheaper than stalling...

I could do that but it doesn't solve the "shelter" part of the equation. I think that maybe building some sort of "stall"(ish) thing in the pasture might be best. We also feed hay twice a day, the grass isn't lush by any means, but if you have the 2 "right" horses, it works! :yes:

Yeah! Me too! I can not believe that with two horses on it full time that 1/4 acre would ever have any grass at all.

If you have two "piggies", it doesn't. (see above) :winkgrin:

No offense intended.

No worries, I usually agree with you, btw. ;)

"Full board" means a stall, cleaned X times per day, plus turnout plus feeding X times per day. If your barn has stalls available and offers full board, you should pay the full board fee only, for however many months you think your pasture needs to rest.

We have "stall board" which means your horse lives in the stall 24/7, they are fed 2x/day, cleaned once. Turnout/handling/exercise are up to the owner. You remember what it's like to live here, right? :cool:

So, does your barn offer full board, or just the "added stall days" option? :confused: I'm confused.

:lol:I really didn't think I'd have so many people flummoxed (is that a word?). See above, you're either in a stall, corral or pasture....never do the 3 mix. Usually it's the show horses in the stalls, sometimes corrals, but out here we'd NEVER put them out in pasture....except me, of course. ;)

Showbizz
Nov. 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, this seems so cut and dry to me! Am I missing something?

If the BO is okay with you taking stalls, I'd think you'd just pay the higher of the two boards maximum (stall vs pasture). Having just come off of being a BO for 10 years (we moved) I would probably even give you a better deal than stall board if they were just in intermittedly if my barn was quite vacant, as you've explained. That all seems much easier than building stalls and adding fences!

moonriverfarm
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
I board a few horses. If they DON'T use a stall, board is x. Those horses have unlimited use of a walk-in/walk-out 6 stall barn, but no shavings or daily cleaning. They use it whan the weather is REALLY bad, not too often, and I pick poop out about once a week (not much to pick). If boarders want access to a stall with shavings and a gate inside the main barn, board is x. They may never use it but if the want to MAYBE keep their horse up some, that to me is stall board. Period. Shavings, cleaning water buckets daily, grain and hay served twice daily in a stall means way more work for me than feeding on a bucket on the fence or in an open stall. I could never keep track of pay-by-the-day, but I guess if use of the stall was totally self-maintained by the boarder, i.e. shavings, poop removal, etc, I'd try to help them by cutting stall board down to an agreeable price. Bottom line though - you need to talk to the BO.

harveyhorses
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
I am so lucky, my 24 yo OTTB is on 'stall board' now, but when she was on field board she still got fed in a stall and if the weather was nasty they would either call and ask me if I wated her up or just keep her up (she is of course one of the favorites) They charged 15 a day if I wanted her up. I love my barn.
I would think your BO would be happy to spare the fields. Then again what do I know?? :winkgrin:

nightsong
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:03 AM
I think all your replies are coming from 'stall board includes turnout' people who don't GET the 'rent the PLACE, whether it's a stall, corral, or pasture/paddock" thing. I think you just need to meander around this subject with the barn owner/manager to get an idea of prices, which is your question, without putting THEM on the spot to come up with a number and YOU on the spot to accept/consider it.