PDA

View Full Version : What was your Young Rider experience?

ozzy24
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
I am currently going Prelim and although I missed the age cutoff for the 1*, I'd like to hopefully shoot for the 2* at NAJYRC since I have three more years as a young rider. I have never done anything related to young riders, but would love to. So tell me what area you participated in and what you did like camp or the NAJYRCs. Cant wait to hear all about it!

LAZ
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
I would suggest you get in touch with your Area's YR coordinator & see about joining their program. I used to run our Area's program and we offered clinics at very reasonable prices, as well as a 4 day camp with international instructors for very reasonable prices. The NAYRC was/is great and fabulous experience for the kids, but only a portion of what the program has to offer.

Ruperman
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:11 AM
If you have the time and money to ride on the team, do it!!

I rode for Area IV in 2005 and groomed in 2007. It was literally the best time I have ever had in horses. I met my BFF there and we all keep in contact. I see the girls everywhere and it's like we never left that summer. Camp was THE BEST. My experience may not be most (I have no idea), all I know is 2005 was the best!! It was about the team, not the individual. I'm just sad I've aged out. :(

Camp we all lived together in an apartment and a house. We had daily lessons and braiding/grooming/vet/farrier seminars. The YR Program also had everyone stable together at the events in Area IV. they also had us sit with dressage judges at some shows so we could see first hand how actual dressage judging went (not scribing). The TD would walk xc with us etc etc. Very informational.

I can't say enough good things about summer 2005 :)