PDA

View Full Version : What was that poor soul's name

Blinkers On
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:49 PM
That ran in Breeder's Cup (I want to say Classic), He had no business being in there. the owner refinanced his house to run and the horse ran a dismal... eased?? Dave's .... something... Something Dave??? I have a block..

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Rick's Natural Star, he ran in the BC Turf at Woodbine, in '96 I believe. Lined up with Singspeil, Pilsudski, Swain and Chief Bearheart in one of the best Turf fields assembled. Owner drove him from NM to ON in a trailer. Stopped off at a motel in Detroit and made a makeshift coral in the parking lot with rope. Also used to train him by driving along next to him in a truck holding him by a lead rope through the window.
You couldn't make this stuff up. Dude was dead serious too, and a Vet to boot.

foundationmare
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:09 PM
Was this the guy that trained the horse by jogging him from his truck? Paid a huge supplement to get him in? Vaguely remember the story (and, as I recall, the horse was claimed from him to be retired and put out of his training hell....). Can't remember the name though!

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
From youtube, an NBC piece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6F9E-DJhas) they did on the lead up to the race.

And piece showing what became of him afterwards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92TBBzAWxo).

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
Retired in early 1997 (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1997/01/22/1997-01-22__star__grazing___rick__heads.html)

Indeed you couldn't make this #$^@ up!

The great Cigar was supposed to be the headliner of Breeders' Cup week, but he couldn't compete with Rick's Natural Star, whose owner let two members of the media sit atop the horse.

Rick went off at 56-1, the longest shot in the race, but should have gone off at 56,000-1. He was within a half-length of the lead for the first half-mile, when long-distance turf horses don't think about running hard.

Livingston, on the phone from his clinic in Artesia, N.M., says the horse should have been "five, six lengths in front." He says the jockey, Lisa McFarland, "pulled the horse, twice." He says she did that "on orders from the stewards." He says the Ontario Jockey Club, "probably on orders from the Breeders' Cup, but I don't know that, told her to get the horse out of the way of the good horses."

I think the man spent some time in Roswell NM :D

foundationmare
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:27 PM
Glad to know that my memory, unlike my eyesight, aching back and throbbing knees is still relatively unscathed by the passage of years!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Btw Ricks Natural Star is still living at Sunnyside Farm in Paris, KY per Ted Bassett's (Keeneland) "My Life" book released this year.

EponaRoan
Oct. 30, 2009, 02:00 AM
His last race which was the race he was claimed out of was at Turf Paradise. Weirdly enough, one of my partnerships' horses was in the race. And yes, he beat Rick. :lol:

Blinkers On
Oct. 30, 2009, 02:52 AM
Rick's Natural Star, he ran in the BC Turf at Woodbine, in '96 I believe. Lined up with Singspeil, Pilsudski, Swain and Chief Bearheart in one of the best Turf fields assembled. Owner drove him from NM to ON in a trailer. Stopped off at a motel in Detroit and made a makeshift coral in the parking lot with rope. Also used to train him by driving along next to him in a truck holding him by a lead rope through the window.
You couldn't make this stuff up. Dude was dead serious too, and a Vet to boot.

Thank YOU!!!! Not Dave.. I knew ther was a star or an all star.. thank you

Acertainsmile
Nov. 1, 2009, 02:18 PM
I was just telling one of my employees about this horse and his trainer... too funny!