PDA

View Full Version : Farm gates and Fedex?

tangledweb
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
This may be pushing the farm relatedness limit, but I am trying really hard to get a package from fedex.

Each day they turn up, find nobody at the gate to give them a signature, so hang a tag on the gate saying "Customer not Available or Business Closed" and go away.

Each day I ring the call center and say "Please deliver it to the house" and get asked some random questions
"Is there a code for the gate?" Unless mean push not pull, then no.
"Is the gate locked?" No
"Are there loose dogs?" No

Yesterday I got "Our drivers don't generally open gates, as there might be a good reason it is shut". There might also be a good reason somebody is sending me a package.

Is this a common problem? Other horse farms have gates, right?

Do I need to put a complex series of pictograms next to it illustrating the correct procedure for pushing a gate for a novice who has never seen a gate before?

dmalbone
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:39 PM
Do you get packages regularly? Why not just leave the gates open the day you know fedex is going to be there? I can see the worry of them not knowing what's behind the gates, i.e. loose farm dogs, horses, etc. I wouldn't open up a gate to someone's backyard and leave it open to go up to their house, kwim?

Janet
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:43 PM
Put a note on the gate, telling FedEX to open the gate and go to the house.

Sleepy
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:46 PM
My FedEx man leaves packages just outside the gate or sometimes dropped just over the gate, usually in a plastic bag. Although there was the day last week when one was stuck IN the gate. :lol:

judybigredpony
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:47 PM
HA...I have the same problem, only they throw the package over the gate and drive off regardless of value of items inside.
My big dogs are usually in the house and if I am not home 100% they are locked up.
Plus the gate has a sign thats "Please Close Gate" so that means you sure as heck swing it open, its even on a wheel
UPS does open drive thru deliver and shut on way out. Post Office hates to drive up but will if I call and yell often enough.
I hate finding soggy packages throw under a tree by the gate w/ $100.00's horse product or vaccines!! FEDEX is the Worst..................

Minerva Louise
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, put a note on the gate, request that they open the gate and leave the package at whatever specified location, AND SIGN THE NOTE. The signed note counts for your signature for the package. Good luck, I've had some real package run-arounds myself. It is really frustrating...

greysandbays
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
If the obvious purpose of the gate is To Keep People Out, you can't very well argue that it's not supposed to work when you don't want it to...

Here in The Land Of Spring Mud, it is routine for driveways to be blocked off whewn it's horribly muddy... Even the smallest little obstacle laid across the end of the driveway indicates "driveway impassible". My UPS guy leaves my stuff either in the decrepit old wheelbarrow that serves as my muddy driveway indicator, or sticks it in whatever vehicle is parked out there.

USPS mail carrier does the same. Don't get much by Fedex...

On stuff I order, I try to order before or after mud season.

But what I was trying to get around to saying is that there used to be "drive-through electric gates" for electric fences thatconsisted of fiberglass (I'm assuming) rods mounted on springs at each side of the driveway, with some sparkly streamers hanging down from them (I asume for visiblity). Vehicles could drive through, and the gate would self-shut behind them. Might be something to consider...

tangledweb
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:04 PM
If the obvious purpose of the gate is To Keep People Out, you can't very well argue that it's not supposed to work when you don't want it to...

Really? I guess that is what I am asking. Is it a genuine missunderstanding, ie I think a closed but unlocked gate means "Creatures with opposable thumbs can pass freely but excaped livestock should stay on the side they were put on" but the driver thinks a closed gate means "Gathering of angry horse worshiping cultists inside holding a ritual keep out or you will be shot and fed to shetlands". Or is it just laziness; a gate means it takes an extra 2 minutes to make a delivery so they don't like them.

To me a gate is there to be driven through. If I did not want people to drive through it I would have built a fence instead of a gate.

wsmoak
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
These drivers have very strict schedules, and getting out of the vehicle four times to open/close gates is going to delay them. Leaving it open while they're down the drive would expose them to liability if whatever was inside got out.

If you can't leave the gate open, can you leave a signature release and a container up by the gate for them to put the package in?

Having them hold the package and going to pick it up yourself might also be an option.

judybigredpony
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:15 PM
I haver a gate for insurance and to keep potenial loose horses IN.
If I didn't want someone to open it the gate would save, Private Drive NO ENTRY...

Be serious people FEDEX runs on a schedule and getting out to open the gate takes TIME.

UPS guy told me same thing but since I raised so much hell w/ UPS they drive in and out.
FEDEX is just ignoring.
I usually request NON FEDEX delivery carrier:yes:

Desert Topaz
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
At my house:
UPS always comes through the gate
FedEx sometimes comes through the gate (seems to depend on the driver)
USPS never comes through the gate.

My gate has a keypad with the code visible on the pad. It auto shuts behind them and has a metal sensor to let them back out. We installed the gate opener to make it easier to get deliveries. In retrospect, we shouldn't have bothered.

The postal service, when I asked them, said that if they see a closed gate they always assume loose animals behind it. They don't want to have to chase animals they've accidentally let loose, so they never open gates. I guess I can't be mad at them for that.

Out here in the land of ranch gates many people have a "package box" near the gate for such deliveries to go in and be safe from rain and snow. Sometimes it's as simple as a rubbermaid box type thing tied to a tree (so it won't blow away.)

greysandbays
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
Really? I guess that is what I am asking. Is it a genuine missunderstanding, ie I think a closed but unlocked gate means "Creatures with opposable thumbs can pass freely but excaped livestock should stay on the side they were put on" but the driver thinks a closed gate means "Gathering of angry horse worshiping cultists inside holding a ritual keep out or you will be shot and fed to shetlands". Or is it just laziness; a gate means it takes an extra 2 minutes to make a delivery so they don't like them.

To me a gate is there to be driven through. If I did not want people to drive through it I would have built a fence instead of a gate.

I expect there's some regional variation on the meaning of gates, but around here a gate of any sort (no matter how flimsy) across a driveway is as good as a "No Trespassing" sign. A serious gate says "Keep Out, No Exceptions".

I once had a twine string tied across the driveway a couple hundred feet away from the house to keep an old horse from wandering too far out, and the UPS driver stopped and left the package there, and BACKED the rest of the 600' out the driveway to the road.

Javasmom
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:39 PM
UPS parks at gate and walks to the house. With dog biscuits.
USPS leaves card in mailbox and I have to go to the post office to pick up.
Fed Ex: the driver playes such loud music and usually takes long enough to fumble around that I am wondering what the heck is some teenager with his loud music doing at the driveway... investigate and see FedEx and help him unload. Truck is dented too. Unique system, but works out OK. Now when I hear loud music I figure it's Fed Ex and go to the gate. Thank goodness SmartPak uses UPS.

equusus
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:39 PM
Out here in the land of ranch gates many people have a "package box" near the gate for such deliveries to go in and be safe from rain and snow. Sometimes it's as simple as a rubbermaid box type thing tied to a tree (so it won't blow away.)

:yes:
We use a Rubbermaid trash can.
Or leave the gate open when expecting a package.

Stopping, getting out, opening gate, getting back in, driving through, closing gate, getting back in, delivering package, stopping to open gate again, driving through, stopping to close gate again...... probably goes above and beyong the job description for most delivery services.

scpezold
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:50 PM
We have a security gate as "backup" if horses get out of pasture. UPS and FedEx do not have the code but will ring intercom if gate is closed. If we are there we open the gate if we are not there and we dont have to sign they will always put it in a bag and either hang it on the fence or put it over the fence if it is to big. If it is something I have to sign for they leave a note for me to come pick it up at there facility. I dont mind going to pick it up. It is not their fault we have a security fence and no one was there to sign. They are just doing their job. That being said we rarely get anything that needs to be signed.

We also live out in the country and many places with such gates usually have some sort of container that is either bolted down to the ground or bolted to the fence. A vet who lives near us has a lock on his container outside his fence. The UPS and FedEx guys have a key. The box is bolted to the ground or fence in some fashion. You can imagine the kind of stuff a vet receives so the box has to stay locked.

When we first moved to our farm I was nervous about packages being stolen if they were left outside or on the gate. Our home came with a security camera at the gate. Never had any problems. Our cameras work but if you are nervous about packages left at the gate being stolen they do make cameras that are "fake". This may be a good deterrent.

Boomer
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have a big trash can just inside the gate. If UPS or Fedex leave a note, I sign it and tell them to leave it in the can.

Post office is the only one that won't get out of their car for anything. I usually have to figure out a way to go to the friggin' post office to get it if it's a "sign for" - sometimes they'll leave it, other types of deliveries they say they have to have an in-person signing.

Mav226
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:18 PM
A closed gate, to me, means do not enter. I put up signs saying something along the lines of, "Dear Fed-Ex Man (or woman): Please put packages in X location. Thank you! (signed, me)"

Brockstables
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
I found this thread very entertaining! LOL

FedEx will bring our packages all the way down our one-lane mile and a half dirt road along the river with a drop off of over 500 feet, IF it is not snowing and/or the road is perfectly dry. In that case, they leave my horsie stuff at the millionaire's barn next door, where it is locked in the office and no staff available to let me pick it up. (Yeah, that is where I finally found my Stubben! :mad: )
UPS leaves our packages at my aunt's house, on the main road, and lets her sign for them... Since I don't usually order anything risque, that works fine and my packages are safe and dry until I can pick them up.
USPS is great, will hold my packages at the post office, and call me to let me know they are there!
Any other delivery company can't find us anyway...

OP, is there any way you can convince them to blow the horn several times to alert you that you have a delivery and you could get to the gate to sign for your package?

TheJenners
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:02 PM
Agreed. If the house is close enough, a "please honk!" sign would do the trick. In retrospect, I wish I had thought of it when I had a farmette with a gated driveway to the house.

It was always hit or miss with the companies and drivers, I was always happy if they would wrap in plastic and drop over the gate (which FedEx) did. USPS was the most frustrating. Either crammed in the box, which was fine, or they'd take it back to the PO and refuse to try again. Seriously!!! I bought a very expensive (to me) horse and when his papers shipped, they tried once to deliver and then took them back to the PO and put them in the "Return to Sender" pile. WTF? Thankfully the old owner called me and said she had gotten a call that her return receipt, tracked, etc etc package was being returned.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
I live about a half a mile down a private dirt road. USPS doesn't even come down here, our mailboxes are at the hard road. FedEx/UPS do come down here though. I have a locked gate and perimeter fence due to my 10 dogs, plus I work shift work so unless it's my day off I am almost never here when FedEx comes.

What i did was i ordered an extra large mailbox from Horse and Hound (it has a picture and our farm name, address on it) and put it at the front gate. On the post we put letters with UPS/FedEx on it. They leave the stuff in the box or if it's really big next to the box and leave the tag on the gate that it was left. Eventually I did see the UPS/FedEx guy and told them it's fine to leave stuff there and it's never been a problem.

Usually the mailbox thing is a problem because you aren't supposed to leave stuff in them other than US Mail, but since it's a private road and they don't come down here it really isn't a problem.

You could make a box, put a lock on it, leave the lock open,, and tell the Fed Ex guy he can put stuff in it and lock it when he's done. That might work.

twofatponies
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
LOL. This is all too familiar. (ETA: and I also find UPS the only one reliable in following delivery instructions and making sure package is in safe, dry location)

But I know many people who build a small shed or box (or trash can or similar) at the entrance for packages to be left in...

Equibrit
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
When shipping packages to a situation similar to this we write a note in the space provided for delivery instructions, having asked our customer if we need to do this. It just isn't that hard to give these details to somebody you are ordering from. If you can't manage that, have your packages delivered to a 9-5 business address and save a little money.

Raystown
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:17 PM
We just put up a driveway gate last week and the UPS guy was nice enough to come through and leave the pkg on the porch. The plan is to install a container outside the gate for deliveries.

I'm used to opening gates at my farrier stops and greeting dogs, but one time I opened a driveway gate and there were loose emus in the yard. I can understand why a delivery person would not want to mess with a gate.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
Drivers are generally not allowed to open gates because of what may be contained on the other side. This driver does not know if you have dogs or horses or cows in the yard, and it is not his responsibility to deal with those animals. Also, if the animals are not friendly (which the driver has no way of knowing), he might be hurt.

If you want him to walk up to the house, leave a note on the gate, or better yet, leave the gate opened that day.

Our FedEx guy, however, leaves all packages tied to a gate that is INSIDE the fence line. So he reaches over the fence, ties the package to the gate, and then leaves. It took me a good while to figure out where in the world that first FedEx package was left. UPS and USPS leave packages by the gate that actually opens into the yard.

atr
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:05 AM
Delivery? What's that?

The only delivery I've ever had up here is via Airborne Express. UPS and FedEx leave deliveries at the gas station 3 miles away... The post office doesn't believe we really exist.

I get stuff sent to my office. Our UPS man is alway intrigued by my deliveries of "horse vitamins" and other such oddities. Just as well I'm not a breeder.

But even that is fraught with issues--the postmaster at our local office suddenly decided that anything that didn't have the suite # on it would be returned as address unknown, without bothering to inform us. There are 3 "suites" in our building, our mail carrier has been with us for years, but no, she was not allowed to deliver out mail without the suite #.

You can imagine the havoc this created with our accounts department.

Local postmaster was really very rude to our office manager when she called up to find out what the heck was going on.

So she complained to the regional postmaster.

Said local postmaster appeared on our doorstep the following day screaming profanities. Really--just totally lost the plot. I've never seen anything like it.

Apparently, he is now a mail-carrier again. Not on our route...

blaster
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:29 AM
"Creatures with opposable thumbs can pass freely but escaped livestock should stay on the side they were put on"

Maybe you need this sign on your gate:)

Saidapal
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
My gate means 'stay out', and sometimes I've turned the horses loose in the yard so I would be really torked if someone took it upon themselves and wandered in no matter how well intentioned.

So far my deliveries are either hanging on my gate, or placed just inside the fence along the fence line. I haven't had any problems.

Guess I should appreciate them a little more after reading this.

Trixie
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:10 AM
If I were a driver, I'd probably think that a gated drive means do not enter. I'm oogy enough about going through gates at other people's farms because you really never know what they've put out in the yard.

katarine
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:38 AM
I thought this was going to be about fedexing a gate. :)

kellidahorsegirl
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
Fed Ex sucks out here....the only way they'll ever leave anything is if you print out a form thats on their site, fill it out and sign 2 copies...then tape to the garage door. Sometimes they just choose not to come out either....took an extra 4 days to get hubby's new laptop cuz they 'came out' and no one was home (I was too!) and decided to wait a few days to try again.

UPS rocks. Chuck is our driver and we have his cell number....he'll leave stuff in town at the gas station if the roads are too muddy (we live on pure clay/dirt roads all around)....he even came once when we weren't here and put the horses away who had escaped somehow....5 horses....He went and found hay and lured them all back in. he's told us we (his delivery houses) are his family. Really cool guy.
If we're not home, he'll leave stuff inside the garage, or even once cuz the dogs were in teh garage, he left the packages inside the front door.

USPS......ha! They bring our mail everyday but he honks from the box (not close at all) if there's a sign package...................so yeah we never hear him and have to drive all the way to town to get the damned thing.

Raystown
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
:lol:I just talked to my neighbors and I was so wrong in my last post! UPS guy tossed the pkg over the gate, it was my neighbors who put it on the porch! :lol:

ReSomething
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:18 PM
Where I came from a gate meant the same as a door. Do not enter if closed.

We haven't got a gate yet and so far the UPS and USPS both come up the drive, but we had to train the USPS gal. Haven't dealt with Fed Ex yet. We sit on the ridge above the driveway and have a good view of the road coming up the hill past us, it's always been easy to see and hear the trucks coming and go out into the yard, then they see us and drive right up. Once we get the gate up unless it is an auto opener I am not expecting any of them to hop out and open shut open shut. That's a bit much. We'll probably put up a big parcel box next to the trash can corral and mailbox.

TBPNW
Nov. 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
UPS, FedEx, USPS do not open my gate. I understand why not. UPS and FedEx will leave packages on my side of the gate in plastic wrap. USPS will only leave notification in my mail box and I have to pick it up at the post office. I try to leave the gate open, when packages are supposed to arrive. UPS tried to deliver a package that required a signature, made 3 attempts, and back/forth figured out they would not accept a signature on the back of their sticky-note. After third attempt, followed instructions to pick up package from their warehouse...in the end, this was actually much more convenient to do in the first place. At another location, I just tell them to leave packages at the bottom of the driveway, and always feel sorry when I have a package waiting at my door, from someone that didn't know they didn't have to brave the driveway. USPS had long since left a note saying they don't do driveways longer than .5 mile.

suze
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:07 PM
We live on a boarding stable. Ups driver has no problem opening gate, driving to correct house, closing gate. USPS drives in to closest house. Love them. FedEx drops packages in driveway outside of gate. Not only is this a busy place, but the driveway is a favorite turn-around spot for passing drivers. Public gate! No concern for packages or contents. No notice. My sister had sent me a $100 gift cert. for my b-day & I promptly ordered a companion set of Kitchen Aid pasta rollers. After a week or so, I looked up the order as it hadn't shown up. FedEx had sent package back saying it was the wrong address. Hardly. It's the same address I've had with Amazon for years. Emailed the company (selling through Amazon), who sent it back - yup - FedEx, even after I told them of our problems. Box looked like it had been run over by a truck and was taped back together. If it had been anything less sturdy it would have been crushed. Not one single side of the box was straight. Dumped it over the gate & drove off; fortunately a boarder saw the truck & called me. The gate is closed by necessity (busy road with trucks, busses & endless cars) as well as insurance reasons - there is even a sign on the gate showing the drivers where to go. Even the pizza dude opens & closes the gate before driving to the house, & that's saying a lot. I will never again do business with a company who chooses the shipping company for me or only ships FedEx -there are plenty of places out there selling the stuff I use.

Boomer
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:48 PM
:lol:I just talked to my neighbors and I was so wrong in my last post! UPS guy tossed the pkg over the gate, it was my neighbors who put it on the porch! :lol:

I had a similar UPS experience - my regular driver was on vacation and I happened to be home the day a package arrived. The driver went to the gate and was going to set the package on top a one of my tall roadside trash cans that were on the inside of the fence near the gate. My farm mutts went bounding to the gate (the regular driver usually reaches over and pets them) - substitute UPS guys sees the dogs, lobbs the package over the fence and is in the truck backing down the drive as fast as possible.

Kind of funny, but I can understand his fear. He doesn't know my dogs (who look bad-a@#) even though a gate/fence was between them.

suze
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:32 PM
It just isn't that hard to give these details to somebody you are ordering from. If you can't manage that, have your packages delivered to a 9-5 business address and save a little money

Those details are attached to every item we order from everyone. They're posted on the gate. We've made numerous phone calls. Numerous emails. FedEx is the only shipper who ignores it all, even after going over heads of office staff to supervisors. UPS, USPS rock. Kid speeding took out a 2 cement posts, part of a fire hydrant, the mailbox & part of the front fence this week; USPS has been bringing the mail in until the box gets replaced (don't get me started on the handyman) which they usually only do if there's a package. And this IS a business address.

Piatt Farms
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering....
I live 2 1/2 miles off the nearest one lane blacktop road down a dirt road that may or may not exist due to the latest rain AND i have large dogs that roam our farm, and of course a small single swing bar gate --no lock. Usually not even swung together.
I love that I'm not alone on the "will they/won't they deliever my package" deliema. Expecially now that it's the holidays.
Gates--forgete them. FedEx just won't do it for us. Heck, even if they make it down the dirt road where half of it is missing and the half that is there is the consistancy of quicksand AND make it past the gravel drive that my husband hasn't smoothed out so it's rutted beyond belief AND the barking dogs they take one look at the gate that swang half closed thanks to the 45mph wind and move on. Utterly annoying. UPS however will brave all of it, bump the gate open with the bumper if they can't get around it, smile sweetly to the 150 barking dog that acts as my personal alarm (and who is waiting for my reaction to see if it's ok to taste the strange man in the uniform) to deliever my packages. Always.
Love UPS.
As for Fed Ex....I finally called in and gave them the offical OK to reroute my packages to my neighbors business in town. She brings them to me on her way home.

molliwog
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
We built a little shed for a package drop (with a big sign that says PACKAGE DROP on the front) and placed it outside the gate.

When we first moved to our place, the UPS and FedEX drivers wouldn't open the gate (2 large barking dogs- don't blame them for not wanting to take any chances), but the UPS driver would set packages over the gate. That strategy resulted in several packages being chewed to bits by the dogs and us filing a couple of claims with UPS to replace the mangled contents. Mr. Molliwog constructed the package drop soon after the second incident of package chomping.

It has worked really well- packages stay safe and dry, and the driver doesn't have to worry about whether he/she should or shouldn't open the gate.

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:41 AM
My FedEx man leaves packages just outside the gate or sometimes dropped just over the gate, usually in a plastic bag. Although there was the day last week when one was stuck IN the gate. :lol:

This is what my UPS man does. If it is raining he will also put my newspaper in the plastic bag.

I have had an issue with Fed-Ex so I put a note on the gate asking him to drop it over and that worked fine.