View Full Version : Stable Insurance questions

Turn N' Burn of Columbus
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
As far as stable insururance goes, how can I tell which is the best company and which is a waste of money? Looking online, there are several but how do you know which is a scam and which is a company that will be there when you need them? How does a BO know how much CCC is needed as opposed to liability, etc? Any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Hope this was the right forum to ask under!

Oct. 30, 2009, 11:20 AM
Are you talking about companies or agents? There are many agents that offer insurance for stables but they all right the coverage through different insurance carriers (Great American, Markel, Farmers, Travelers are carriers). Rates very by carrier so your best option is to find an agent that has experience writing coverage for farms/stables and have them find you the best rate with the best carrier for your needs. Writing Agri-Business is not something all agents are versed in (it is not like homeowners coverage or businesses) so you want someone who has experience and knows what questions to ask.

To answer some of your other questions you absolutley need liability insurance. This is coverage for when you get sued because someone got hurt riding your horse or your horse got out in the road and caused an accident, etc. Liability limits should be a minimum of $1,000,000 with an additional Umbrella policy with a minimum of $1,000,000 also (I would never recommend any less than that but more is always good).

Care, custody and control insurance is coverage which applies to horses in your care, custody and control whether for training, showing or boarding. The insurance applies specifically to horses and any injuries or harm they may sustain. Limits should be determined by how many horses are in your care, custody and control and thier combined values.

Turn N' Burn of Columbus
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you! That was very helpful.