PDA

View Full Version : stock tank treatments?

MySparrow
Oct. 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
Just browsing through my KV Vet catalog, and got to the page about stock tank treatments. These range from burlap bags of barley straw to electric filters. Has anyone tried any such products, and what were the results?

TIA!

MySparrow
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:38 AM
Nobody?

Mr.GMan
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:46 AM
I have tried the barley bag things. My two just thought they were annoyances in their water and tossed them out...

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 30, 2009, 09:25 AM
They work. We use them but the dogs or the young horses reach in the tanks and fish them out to play with. Too expensive to be dog/horse toys. However, I am sure if you can buy a bale of barley straw you can just put some hay at the bottom of the tub and get the same affect.

CB/TB
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:20 PM
I use the barley bags and they seem to be working well. They start off floating and eventually sink to the bottom. Our young GSP thought it was a "fetch" toy and was fishing the bag out of the trough until it sank!

fourmares
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
I bought a spa vacuume and a bunch of gold fish. No bugs, and I can clean out the oogies off the bottom a few times a year.

MySparrow
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input! I tried fish, found them useful but imperfect as cleaning crew, and then after they'd gotten huge they inexplicably all died. I went into mourning, and am reluctant to try fish again.

I may try a couple of the different things on offer -- I've got four big tanks -- and report back.

Thanks again!