PDA

View Full Version : What makes your favorite event, your favorite event?

bounce
Oct. 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
Choose your favorite event and then tell what puts it in that category. Is it the ribbons, the xc design, the people at the window? What makes is special to you?

Is there any one thing that will turn you off an event?

Lori B
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
In Area II, it is the presence of the Smoothie Lady, who morphs into Hot Chocolate Lady when it's cold out. No superior event can occur without her. :-)

xcPayge
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:27 AM
As i said the same with the last post about your favorite xc course. I would have to say HANDS DOWN Millbrook Horse Trials in NY. It is gorrrrgeous! Like absolutely stunning. The facility is well cared for, i loved how the stabling was set up, with the huge watering tanks conveniently laid out. They had portajons everywhere. The staff was VERY nice! They had scores up quickly. Alot of warm up rings with hills to get ready for dressage. They were on time, never got behind. They were very well staffed and the number one thing that COMPLETELY made the whole weekend was the amazing British announcer :D. He was so cheery and woke everyone up with a nice "It is a glooorrrrious day here at Millbrook Horse Trials" And was such a sweetheart and actually spoke the whole time (not annoyingly so). The food was good, they had good tack shops. And did i mention it was GORGEOUS. And let me just say one more time the staff was wonderful. So worth the 10 hour drive. I will go EVERY year. Absolutely fantastic! A great experience. Sadly now, as it was my first event, nothing compares :lol:

Here are some pictures i took of the view.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ligaqt.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2ibjdww.jpg

xitmom
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:04 PM
xcPayge, I loved hearing about and seeing the photos of Millbrook. WOW is all that I can say. I hope to get there next year!

jenm
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:19 PM
Twin Rivers Ranch in Area VI because they have a fabulous elemental course for those of us just starting to get our feet wet! :cool: :D

ozzy24
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
I also love Twin. except in January when it's literally 7 degrees in the morning. HA. Inavale is also awesome! This year for the first time, they offered a T3D and I did it. They had fabulous seminars including a course walk with Amy Tryon. The stadium jumps were completely decked out, there was a parrot jump, zebra jump, and poker jump. Pretty creative. The cross country course was beautiful and definitely maxed out on the training course. I loved galloping through trees and paths and how everything was green, unlike here in California.

ens0613
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
Definitely agree about Twin and Inavale! :)

I went to Inavale this year for the first time, and it was just fantastic. I loved the forested XC course (which was maxed out at N, T, and P, I believe) and the stadium jumps (including a dragon breathing fire!). The stabling was well laid out and the whole atmosphere was so friendly! Can't wait to go next year :D

WNT
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:59 PM
I've always like Rubicon Farm's HT. The show jumping field is fun with the two-level effect of the hill in it. The cross country course is always attractive and the jumps inviting even if they seem big.

LAZ
Nov. 1, 2009, 10:03 AM
The things that make my favorite event(s) my favorite event (in no particular order) are:

runs on time
well thought out placement of port-a-potties (that always have TP)
results posted promptly
available trash cans
the friendly faces of all the staff & helpers, even when things are stressful
the effort to make the competitors feel like they're sharing their home, rather than just visiting
the lovely, lovely gallopy cross country courses at all levels
it's just plain friendly and welcoming

nextyear
Nov. 1, 2009, 11:13 AM
The things that make my favorite event(s) my favorite event (in no particular order) are:

runs on time
well thought out placement of port-a-potties (that always have TP)
results posted promptly
available trash cans
the friendly faces of all the staff & helpers, even when things are stressful
the effort to make the competitors feel like they're sharing their home, rather than just visiting
the lovely, lovely gallopy cross country courses at all levels
it's just plain friendly and welcoming

All of the above plus:
Water easy to access in the day parking area
PA system that you can actually hear
Good warm up areas
Dressage rings that DQ's want to ride in