PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever gotten an animal vaccine in your eye?

Luckydonkey
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have successfully vaccinated my own animals for years, an tonight for the first time ever I had a needle basicly explode off the syringe, and the vaccine went straight into my face an my eye- it was a basic yearly dog shot, killed vaccine.... I did wash my eye good, and have put some eye rops in too...anyone ever do anything like that?

greeneyelioness
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm a vet tech and I "vaccinate" myself all the time. My doctors do too, to themselves or me. It happens. I get stabbed and splashed almost every week. :yes:
You did right by washing out your eye. If you have any dizziness or start feeling nauseous or twitchy, call your doctor right away. If you were going to have a reaction it would have happened by now and you wouldn't have been able to write your thread.
In the future, always make sure the needle is twisted on tightly and when you are pushing the plunger, steady pressure and slow is always better unless you have a crazy patient.
Also be careful about at home vaccines. We have had a lot of clients buy online or from supply stores and the vaccines are grossly out of date or may not even be what they were for. We had one client bring in the box and the actual shot and asked us if they were the same thing. Besides the box not being the shot, they were both out of date. :eek: Luckily, she did not give the shot.

shakeytails
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
I might be worried about lepto, and the intranasal strangles, but I really have no idea if they'll actually hurt you.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the title was "It's all fun and games until somebody puts an eye out!" :lol:

greysandbays
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:37 PM
I just hope you have not accidentally discovered the Next Big Thing in vaccination delivery methods! The neighbor's horses that I hold for the vet don't think the intra-nasal thing has a single thing to recommend it, and I doubt they'd like having it put in their eye any better.

Luckydonkey
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
HAHAH! Yeah I don't think I have anything to worry about really- My eye is a little scratchy feeling, but thats about it... We only buy our vaccines from one specific local feedstore, and always check the dates on them. We di have a calf once that we bought at auctin and she developed a horrible case of pink eye a couple days after getting her home- vet told us to squirt evaporated milk in her eye 3 times a day- it worked, but she was not happy with us for quite awhile,lol!

pintopiaffe
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:54 AM
Graysandbays--the kitten vax I just did were all nasal & eye! :eek: When I called my vet, they said they use them...

And what's wrong with Lepto? I got that vax twenty years ago... :uhoh: Well, I just dropped the syringe and needle and it went perfectly through my jeans and into my thigh. <ouch>

RU2U
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
I Banamined my face last week. Topically it numbs the lip a little, does not taste good and fortunately I had glasses on.

Don't call poison control when you vaccinate yourself. I had a rabies vac. go in my hand and I rashed out with it. Called poison control and they told me not to worry about it and gave me a worse lecture then my mom!

Vicki1061
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:15 AM
I got nearly 2cc of Xylazine directly in my eye - not the same as the vaccine, but I lived and saw fine.

My issue was the barn I was at had no hot water and it was 20 degree's out. I panicked and took the nearest hose right to my face - I'll never forget how much the cold water stung.

No side effects - except the numb face from the water and a lot of teasing from my barn friends. :)

LittleblackMorgan
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:43 AM
not a vaccine but horse novacain...it was pretty funny...the vet injected, the horse moved and it went RIGHT in my eyeball. It was a little numb, but not blinding...LOL

equineartworks
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:34 PM
Used to get it all the time. Bordetella was always particularly troublesome. Especially when those doggies sneeze it back on ya :lol: mmmmm....vaccine and dog boogers

Ravencrest_Camp
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
When I worked at a standardbred breeding farm, I was holding a tail while the vet inseminated the mare. He was trying to get the air out of the end of the pipette and depressed the plunger a little too far. Some of the, um syringe contents sprayed across my face. :lol:

I had the presence of mind to say "And it's not even Saturday night" This caused the vet to go into uncontrolled hysterics. :D

strawberry roan
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ravencrest Camp: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That just made my afternoon!!

judybigredpony
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
No but I stuck myself in the tongue w/ a needle atatched to syringe w/ Estrogen...or Estrone for stifles.
And I also got liquid Banamine in my mouth when a horse being injected objected...that made me spaced out and it tasted aweful............

And fly spray waffed into my eye and it swelled up out of my head...ER guys loved it:)