PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Jumping Postion

faluut42
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have a question about jumping postion. I duck when i jump and got his habit from jumping greenies. That was the way I stayed over their withers without getting left behind or jumping ahead. My leg stays SUPER stable this way wlso

I do this with all my horses now and was wondering how bad of habit it is. Im not touching their neck to my chest but I do crouch a bit. I dont have a problem with downhill fences or banks, i can stay up more with my body, but with fly fences i stay with them.

ill try and find pics

Hilary
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'd say it's a pretty bad habit because your weight is very forward - should something happen on landing you are not going to be able to get off the horse's front end and allow him to save himself. (and you).

There's staying with the motion over a big or awkward fence without getting left behind, but if your shoulders are ever lower than your hips your weight is not balanced in your lower leg no matter how nicely positioned it is. It's physics.

Also, if you are truly ducking way down, you can't see very well.

cssutton
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
I have read so much about position, position, position.

If you want to see what you should look like, find a photo of Morton "Cappy" Smith.

One of the greatest.

CSSJR

Evntr4Life
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ahhh yesss. The world famous "ducking".
Was a huge pain in my butt for almost three years.

What you HAVE to remember is the horse comes up to meet YOU.
Not the other way around.

What you need to focus on is keeping a nice steady position to the fence, over the fence, and after the fence. If you ever watch the riders with great form, aka Kim Severson, you'll notice their body position never moves. They just balance and cruise with the horse over the fence.

It's interesting that you say your leg position stays in place because usually it slides back when the ducking problem sets in. . .

Mostly it just take a LOT of practice to get rid of it. Every time you jump that's all should concentrate on is "am I staying quiet over the fence?", "is the horse coming up to meet me?", "are my legs staying quiet?".

Talk to you trainer about it too. If you don't have one, it'll be more difficult to fix than if you do.

Hope this helps!