PDA

View Full Version : "The Jumping Position"

eventr4life
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
At the barn where i board the owner came over while i was riding a week ago and was (without being asked) helping me with my jumping postion...
(she doesnt event)
Anyways, she was saying that i should feel the horse touch my stomach-chest etc. and my hands should be all the way up the neck... i was jumping 2ft grids.
So, i was wondering what really is the best position that least effects the horse's movement and is correct for the rider?
Thanks!

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:14 AM
I would say, thanks for the pointers and carry on.

Your horse should jump up to you, not the other way around. Many horses do not jump a 2' grid round or up enough to hit your chest... hell, my horse doesn't really hit my chest over 4' fences. She sounds like she's telling you to duck and do a classic crest release.

Give your horse freedom with a release, but don't do something that will unbalance yourself or him.

JumpingBug
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
Super hard to tell since

1. we have no pictures or video
2. maybe you misunderstood what she was suggesting as I am sure you were not all open ears about unsolicited advice.
3. Or who knows maybe she is a cow and does not know what she is talking about but it is NO trained H/J or eventing potion that I am familiar with teaching

Sometimes people will see someone falling back and try though and make to big a drastic change from them. If you are in the proper jumping position your horses closes the angle for you, NOT YOU. Over a 2 foot grid there should not be a lot of movement from your upper body

eventr4life
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
Im not asking for a personal critique. Im wondering what the basic examples of a good jumping position are.
i.e: heels down

baxtersmom
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:16 PM
Ah, you will want many back issues of Practical Horseman and the George Morris jumping clinic feature therein. He is very consistent, clear, and has excellent reasoning behind his critiques. Except for dirty tack. :p

OneMoreForTheRoad
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with Baxtersmom. Read the george morris jumping clinics in Practical Horseman

awm
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:14 PM
Did you see the DVD from british eventing?

It's in a topic from 10-26 at 6:02, from equibrit in the Eventing forums----

It illustrates the balanced cross-country position vs. the show-jumping position
in a manicured ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, many more issues, I thought it was great!

purplnurpl
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:01 PM
Anyways, she was saying that i should feel the horse touch my stomach-chest etc. and my hands should be all the way up the neck... i was jumping 2ft grids.

LMAO.

enjoytheride
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lots of eventers get left way way behind and round their backs. It's a defensive seat, a seat you get used to when you ride stoppers, and in eventing it's often safer to be left behind. However, I think that many eventers (myself included) could stand to fold more and be more with their horse.

It's possible she wanted you to be a very hunter perch type rider. It is also possible she wants you to exaggerate the fold so you can get the feeling.

It helps me to spend some time trotting and cantering over small fences and reaching for my horse's ears as well as touching my ahem chest ahem to the neck. Since the nerves of competing make me defensive the extra super extreme position ends up being about 1/2 - 1/2 as much which ends up being perfect.