PDA

View Full Version : Darren in the news

Lori T
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20091025/BREAKINGNEWS/91025008/1001/RSS

Does this really need to be written up in the news?

JumpItHighPie
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:17 AM
While it is bringing up a tragedy from the past I think the reporter does a nice job sticking to the facts and covering the current event at hand.

LexInVA
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20091025/BREAKINGNEWS/91025008/1001/RSS

Does this really need to be written up in the news?

Of course it does! Darren is a very important man. He has many leather-bound books and his home smells of rich mahogany and the slight nuttiness of shea butter. How could you not want to know about such a man?!

LisaB
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
What? He needs ANOTHER nose job? Seriously, he's going to start looking like the cat woman if he doesn't cut it out.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SrkjJLJ4jyI/AAAAAAAAwvQ/1oRXcRP1p4k/s1600-h/jocelyn_wildenstein_17.jpg

JumpingBug
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
Do not see a problem with the article and if you must stir the pot so be it. :-(

RAyers
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:17 PM
Love this comment about the article!!!! I think it provides a bit of perspective to what the horse industry (including DC) means to the general public.

"Not to be rude, but will go over as.... but... The Red Hills Horse Trails is newsworthy to about 30, maybe 100 people, and that's pushing it, in an area of 200 - 300,000 people. Why not expand the High School news a little more, get one of your crack young sports writer to spend a week with one school and write about it and maybe cover UF more as well. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, I'm sure more than the fancy folks that will go to the Red Hills.... Just my opinion."

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:23 PM
Must be a slow news week. Lots of publications write stories that nobody cares about... it's how they fill an issue.

sfir
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:24 PM
Red Hills averages about 40,000 spectators. I wonder how many high schools in Tallahassee have that kind of spectator draw? I think the guy that posted that may not be aware that Red Hills is indeed a pretty big event for the area.
Ruthie

RAyers
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:53 PM
Red Hills averages about 40,000 spectators. I wonder how many high schools in Tallahassee have that kind of spectator draw? I think the guy that posted that may not be aware that Red Hills is indeed a pretty big event for the area.
Ruthie

40,000 is a high school football game in the South. I have seen high school stadiums in OK and TX bigger than the university stadiums here.

clpony
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:20 PM
Where has he been? is he still eventing. i haven't heard of him being out and about as of late...

gold2012
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:59 PM
I have to ask, that organization that everyone donated to so we could pay his medical bills....does that cover some training rider out in the midwest who has a bad spill too? Just curious...

ezmissg
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:35 AM
Ruthie

40,000 is a high school football game in the South. I have seen high school stadiums in OK and TX bigger than the university stadiums here.

As a former Tallahassee resident, I read their paper online every day, so I had already seen the article and the reader comment.

Ruthie is correct about the attendance and that the event is a pretty big deal there. A lot of people who have absolutely nothing to do with horses come out just to take in the atmosphere and environment.

I can assure you that local high school football gets nowhere NEAR 40,000 around there, so the comment just seemed like BS to me.

On the other hand, FSU Seminoles have historically drawn over 80,000 for all the home games. But with the way they are playing this year :eek::o:eek: -- it may not be too long before Red Hills draws the bigger crowd! ;)

Falconfree
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:00 AM
I saw that article in the newspaper the other day. Definitely must have been a slow news day. An article about his returning to Red Hills I could see being of interest to Tallahassee, but not necessarily this.

Of course it does! Darren is a very important man. He has many leather-bound books and his home smells of rich mahogany and the slight nuttiness of shea butter. How could you not want to know about such a man?!

:lol: <3

On the other hand, FSU Seminoles have historically drawn over 80,000 for all the home games. But with the way they are playing this year :eek::o:eek: -- it may not be too long before Red Hills draws the bigger crowd! ;)

At least the Marching Chiefs are still awesome. What other reason is there to go to a game anyway? :D

champagnetaste
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:38 AM
We can't really say that "no one cares." Maybe some of us care, a little?

It is a little like reality TV, I know Housewives of Atlanta is just an awful show, yet I can tell you what Nini said to Sheree last week. Bad behavior has entertainment value.

Don't a lot of us read the Darren and Lainey threads first?

judybigredpony
Oct. 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
The article was a fluff spot meant to cover 3 things...Red Hills...Robert Dovers Symposium and ....Darrens return.

It doesn't even merit a Thread period.

Count the lines Robert Dover got more coverage than Darren.

Mach Two
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:01 PM
HEY! I took a tumble once and banged my head, did not know my phone number, cracked some bones in my neck, etc, and then I took a lesson. Where in the heck was that reporter?

Honestly! It's too funny. Maybe the reporter likes the smell of shea butter a wee bit much.:eek:

Revelations
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
I don't even like Darren and I think some comments are a bit uncalled for. The man did have a hirrific accident. Now, the fact that he decided to make an ass of himself before, during and after the fact is all together different.

As far as the Equestrian Aide Foundation and who they will help is concerned...I can certainly think of a few small time pro's from the Midwest who have received monies enough to help cover not only medical expenses, but to help keep their farms going when they couldn't ride or teach.

As was stated, this was merely a fluff piece which served several uses. Christ on a bike, it certainly got WAAAYYYYY more exposure than just the Tallahassee paper simply by being posted on here!!

gottagrey
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
ah another lets' try to bash Darren some more thread... I read the article and it's more about Robert Dover than Darren. Focus your energy(s) on something more worthwhile than to continually dredge up stories/articles etc in an effort to bash a man who nearly lost his life, suffered inreparable brain damage... this continued bashing of him (and others) has been done ad nauseaum

ravenclaw
Oct. 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
Where has he been? is he still eventing. i haven't heard of him being out and about as of late...

I have noticed this as well. If you do a search for his results on the USEA page, there's nothing listed since June 2009. Did he have a setback or another fall? :confused:

I am not trying to bash Darren. I really have no feelings about him either positive or negative. I just wouldn't want him (or anyone else) to get hurt again.

Christa P
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have noticed this as well. If you do a search for his results on the USEA page, there's nothing listed since June 2009. Did he have a setback or another fall? :confused:

I am not trying to bash Darren. I really have no feelings about him either positive or negative. I just wouldn't want him (or anyone else) to get hurt again.

He has been getting the barn at Knox Farm State Park going again (AFAIK this will be primary facility in the summer, I think he signed a 10 year contract) after it had been empty for a few years after the last trainer left. I also heard he went to Europe horse shopping for 3 weeks in August.

He moved into Knox Farm around June 1, and I know there was A LOT of work to be done, the barn was worked on over the last 2 years, but many of the fences and pastures are in VERY rough shape after having little to no maintence for a long time and the sand ring was completely overgrown.

Here is the website - the picture is the main barn.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/163/details.aspx

Christa

PS I would LOVE the barn - there even apartments in the second story, unfortunatly there are many other buildings around the park that are in rough shape (not ones he is responsible for). Also, FWIW, before the state bought the estate it was for sale - the last price I heard was ~2.5 million. In many areas that would be cheap for this property but there were no takers around here, maybe because there was too much defered maintenance on so many buildings.

riderboy
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:25 PM
What's with the Shea butter? What the hell IS Shea butter?

Doodle
Oct. 31, 2009, 03:17 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. ......................

austin
Nov. 2, 2009, 06:57 PM
many in Tallahassee followed Darren's progress after his fall, he was fighting for his life here in our local hospital and the news gave daily updates about him and his family. While Darren was in the hospital here his family stayed at the Dover's farm where the event this weekend was held.

While Darren was still in the hospital Robert Dover came to Tallahassee to assist with a fundraiser which was held at Walt and Carol's Dover Farm and did a beautiful demonstration on Windfall. this fundraiser attracted over 300 and raised over $200,000 for the Equestrian Aid Foundation to assist Darren and others through a silent auction and other donations.

tallahassee is an area of about 300,000 but still has a small town spirit. the town embraced Darren and his family and many are interested in his progress. this was a delightful story of coming full circle for many of us.

RSEventer
Nov. 2, 2009, 09:00 PM
Darren is quite obviously a polarizing figure, but I can tell you as a lower level eventer, who volunteered to run the XC warmup last spring at FHP, he was the first to say "No problem" when people were showing up late and I needed someone to go out of order on XC. He was friendly and warm and not at all stuffy or catty like some of the people on this board have been about him. I met him in person and he was as gracious as he could be. I wish I could say the same about some of the other riders at FHP that day. (Some were just rude, period.) He was on time, no- actually early and he rode his horse well that day. Why some people like to bash him, well, that must be human nature, I guess. I think he's a good guy and wish people on this board would take a look in the mirror and examine thier own lives before they decide to scrutinize his.

Grataan
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:14 AM
:lol::lol::lol:
I read somewhere that their periods attract BEARS!!!:eek::eek:

I thought the article sounded more like an attempt to get publicity/sponsorships for the symposium.

Cinnabon2004
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:50 PM
I met Darren once a long time ago when I was...13? 14? and I had just started eventing. I was at Rocking Horse and was about to go in the ring to do my dressage test. Apparently Darren learned the wrong one, so he told me if I would practice it before I went in the ring he'd give me a signed dollar . Lol he was very polite and nice (of course I had no idea what this guy had done and what a legend he is) and I think that's what I remember most about him. I was just a kid but he treated me like an adult and I was very grateful for that, and still am.

What's that Baxter? You know I don't speak spanish. :yes: