PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when...

Alagirl
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:08 AM
...you need to rent an auger to plant bulps? :no:

Trying to get my beloved daffodils in the ground, I managed to get 5 holes dug, nowhere near deep enough, and I am sore all over, and I have a LOT more to go. The ground i hard as a rock, tree roots don't exactly help either....

trubandloki
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
I tell my husband how I am going to use one of his power tools in a manner that is totally not what it is designed for to help me dig holes in my flower garden and he quickly comes out and digs holes for me. :winkgrin:

MissBri
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:24 AM
I tell my husband how I am going to use one of his power tools in a manner that is totally not what it is designed for to help me dig holes in my flower garden and he quickly comes out and digs holes for me. :winkgrin:

Love this

pintopiaffe
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:42 AM
I actually *have* an auger... well, sort of.

Go to a camping/outdoor supply place and get one of the auger-type-thingies that you put in to tie down tents. Mine is bigger & heavy duty iron, like for a barn-in-a-box... but the same general idea. Put a broomhandle (or in my case, piece of rebar) through the top eye, and *voila* you too can dig holes until you hit granite... :uhoh: ;)

I find this a great way to start the holes for posts too. For the right size posts, the right size auger (just slightly smaller is ideal.

SharonA
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
I have what my husband refers to as "a bulb problem," and always buy more than I can realistically plant in accordance with the directions. About this time of year, I'm resorting to creative tactics such as:

1) Make some effort at digging a hole, and put the bulb in. Pile dirt on top of it so that it's 6-8 inches under the top of the mound.

2) Forget digging. That way lies grief. Arrange a few half whiskey barrels here and there, fill them with nice soft dirt that someone else has dug and put in a bag for you at the gardening store, and plant the majority of your bulbs in the barrels. Put a few bulbs (like, a total of three holes) in the ground around the foot of the barrel, for a naturalizing effect.

3) See if they will survive even not planted as deep as is recommended.

4) What TrubandLoki said.

5) If you're planting in a long line, and you don't have to worry about pipes or wires underground, have someone with a trenching tool come dig you a long trench, which is easier and faster than digging hundreds of holes. Then you can just put the bulbs in the trench and kick the dirt back over them. The grass will fill back in with a few weeks of Spring.

6) You can rent augers or trench diggers at Home Depot-type places, but I find them dangerous for me to use -- too much twist and kickback for my wrist and arm strength.

WaningMoon
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:52 AM
For planting bulbs among tree roots and in hard soil I have to drop my normal bulb planting practices. I just take a iron pry bar, drive in into the soil, pry forward, drop bulb, take out bar and stomp ground back down. Done. It works for me fine. I filled a 20 foot circle around a tree with lilly of the valley that way too.

SmartAlex
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
For planting bulbs among tree roots and in hard soil I have to drop my normal bulb planting practices. I just take a iron pry bar, drive in into the soil, pry forward, drop bulb, take out bar and stomp ground back down. Done. It works for me fine. I filled a 20 foot circle around a tree with lilly of the valley that way too.

Hey! That's what I do too!!! Big ole crow bar, rainy day (soft soil), basket of bulbs. I sort of swirl the crow bar around to widen the hole in every direction and drop the bulb in. Then, if the bulb gets stuck too close to the top of the hole, I just sort of push it in with the crow bar. When I'm planting them in my flower beds, I swish the mulch into the holes. I know this method is nothing like what the gardening books tell you to do and sounds like bulb abuse, but I have nice daffodils naturalizing all over the place.

Alagirl
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:01 PM
Silly me, I should have checker here in the first place:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xih/R-100675455/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

NOW, I need an automatic waterer for my kitties, so they don't drink out of my table top fountain anymore.

(and an Idea on how to deal with Mr. Outside kitty wanting to become Mr. Inside kitty, even though both residents strongly object....not to mention the food attracts more outside kitties I really don't need...)

fourmares
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:11 AM
They have little auger things that go on a drill.

Simkie
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
Silly me, I should have checker here in the first place:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xih/R-100675455/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I used one of these! They're great! Planted about 200 bulbs one afternoon with one. It did really drain the drill battery, though. Kept swapping out the one I was using for the spare on the charger.

Alagirl
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:02 PM
I will run the extention cord out there, is just the front yard... :)