PDA

View Full Version : Bits for horses with tongue issues

kiwifruit
Oct. 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
Any thoughts on bits for horses that want to put their tongue over the bit? If physical stuff has been ruled out such as hocks, back, mouth, etc,. what bit would be best for a horse that wants to pull back his tongue? Would the reason a horse tries to get his tongue over the bit is to avoid pressure on the tongue? If so, would one of those bits that is curved and has a jointed mouth piece (like Herm Sprenger) be something to consider? Any other suggestions?

IFG
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have an OTTB with a big fat tongue. If he is uncomfortable, he will put his tongue over the bit. I usually need to use a flash or figure 8. Even after a good float, he prefers mullen mouth bits or those that do not collapse completely like the Stubben EZ control bits. For some reason, he did not like the Myler bits, and he seemed to like the double jointed Happy Mouth bits, but they pinched his fat tongue and left red marks on it. He really likes the NAthe bits too.

Make sure that you had a good float. I found that if the dentist doesn't get way in the back of the mouth (ask me how I know), the tongue problems remain after the float.

Jleegriffith
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have had a few with pretty severe mouth issues or fear of contact or the bit types of things going on. I have been most successful with using the herm sprenger duo that I picked up off ebay which is similar to the nathe. They are different than the happy mouths because they do have a slight port for relief of tongue pressue and are so flexible the horses don't feel trapped by them. In many cases, I start with the flexible mullen bits and later down the road the horse has relaxed and started to trust the bit and I can move to something else.

atleventer
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:46 AM
my Irish horse has a BAD problem with biting his tongue and getting it over the bit. i have had tremendous success with happy mouths and nathes. he likes the rubber and plays with it without biting himself. i also really like waterfords.

Camstock
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:24 AM
I have a horse with this problem. He even puts his tongue out on occasion just out in the pasture. Agree with all of the above. I also have a really good chiropractor who readjusted the horse's jaw, when he determined the horse had some TMJ issues.

Food for thought: http://www.equinecraniosacral.com/articles/article2.html

kiwifruit
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I'm going to get a chiropractor out to address the jaw as well as the back. I do like the look of the Herm Sprenger Duo as well. Other than the costs, I might try it to see if it will help with my issues. What about the Herm Sprenger three piece bit that is curved? They look interesting as well..... ANy other suggestions for bits?