PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the "Around the Farm" home cleaner??

TheJenners
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:14 AM
It's related, I swear! :lol:

Anyone ever tried a Roomba?

Delaware TB
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:32 AM
I've always wanted one of those, but I'm afraid it couldn't stand up to the German Shepherds. Got rid of all the carpet and went with tile and pergo. I also keep many rooms "off limits" to shoes and dogs.

dmalbone
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:02 AM
I think it's legit... have an area OUTSIDE of the house (or in a garage,mud room, etc.) where you take off boots before coming in. Shoes are the #1 thing that will make your house smell like the barn. We have a tote in the garage we keep them in. Sure the tote smells to high heavens, but it's better than the house. I also have used slip on show covers for light barn work. Those are left in the barn or also in the garage. I try to wear coveralls when doing particularly messy barn chores as well so help tracking in.

poltroon
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:15 AM
Yep, shoes outside, and indeed I have inside shoes and outside shoes - shoes that are OK in the house and that I wear "to the city" and shoes that are for the barn. It helps if they're slip on.

I also have a barn jacket that is always just inside the door. Unless it's blazing hot, I always put it on before going to the barn, especially if I'm going to handle hay. Then, it comes off and goes on the hook. Whatever is going to fall out of it falls out by the door, and it doesn't get horse and dirt and hay and whatever all over the furniture.

blueboo
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have one that I bought in Salt Lake. It did ok there with 4 rat terriers, a short haired cat and not a lot of 'track in' but here in KY, with 2 rat terriers, a lab/setter mix. a Pyrenees that occasionally comes in the house, a long haired cat and LOTS of 'track in' its pretty well given up the ghost. If the dirt holding section was bigger, it would do a better job, but it just gets full too fast.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money for one in a 'farm' setting.

I have now, and had there, wood floors throughout.

Mozart
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
I have one. Be prepared to clean it out every day and take the brushes out for a thorough cleaning quite frequently. If you don't, it will die a quick death. It does not do a perfect job but it is does keep things "at bay". It is not really meant for the kind of abuse we Around The Farm types subject it to. I still use it though.

My current mud room is a back hallway...not good enough! We will be building a new house in a couple of years...basically the mud room will be the first room to be designed...the rest of the house will flow from the mud room and the kitchen!

deltawave
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
Yes! I got it for a good price off woot.com, and it's great. Does its little thing all by itself, and does a good job, too. No, it's not AS good as scrubbing away with a vacuum, but I'd say pretty darn close. We have mostly wood floors and a few small rugs, and it copes with this fine.

You do have to move marbles, game pieces, and stuff off the floor first. If you have young kids, it kind of forces you to pick up--or make them do it. :D And phone cords need to be kept out of the way, too.

I'd give it two thumbs up. :yes: Caveat: we only have one little house kitty, and NO shoes are worn in or into the house--all boots and shoes come OFF before you come up the stairs.

katarine
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
barn shoes stop at the door. Good door mats that are bristly for those days you forget and run in for whatever. Tile and hardwood and throw rugs that are machine washable. Buy the best vacuum you can afford, I splurged on an electrolux classic and that sucker is the bomb.

I want a Roomba and want to hear more reviews of them, too.

CatOnLap
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
haha. It was MOST amusing to watch a friend's roomba start up, come out of its little hiding place and then see cats scattrering and little dog chasing the thing. I have no idea if it actually did a good job of cleaning, and it apparently died of self administered choking episode when it tried to eat my friend's sneakers a few years later.

We vacuum every day with a Kirby. That is what two 100 lb puppies will bring into the house. They weigh 205 lbs when they come in. I swear they drop the extra 5 lbs of dirt and hair on the carpets.

wendy
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:29 AM
skip the roomba. We bought a supposed "pet roomba" that is supposed to be able to deal with pet hair. Well, not. It routinely clogs up with hair after ten or fifteen minutes of use and requires de-clogging; or you can spend time pre-cleaning the room before letting the roomba out which I find kind of silly. It's less time consuming and gets the place cleaner to just quickly run around with one of those cheap little "pet eraser" vacuums. That thing is great- it even sucks up clumps of mud.

saddleup
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:40 PM
I had one for a short time, and was disappointed. I gave it to my married son, and they're happy with it, but they don't have horse property!

I vacuum every day with my Dyson. It does a great job, but I don't like the hand attachment at all. For general floor cleaning, though, it's great. I have an English Springer Spaniel, and she's very hairy. I clean out the filter every other day and it's full of dog hair, horse hair, and hay.

TheJenners
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:05 PM
Well, I have a Border Collie, who despite being a "short hair" still has a big ole ruff. I sweep every couple of days and it still looks like a long-haired cat got shaved in the house. Sounds like a roomba won't work...oh well!!

Otherwise, I don't let outside shoes in the house. That's all I can do for dirt. It's the hair that gets me down.

skyy
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:03 PM
I agree that the Roomba is not up to the challenge. My dear children bought me one 2 Christmases ago- it was a very thoughtful gift from a 10 yr old and a 16 yr old. Someone notices how much I work around here!

I use the purple pet hair Dyson. I've had it for about 3-4 years and I would die without it. With 2 Labs, 3 house cats and all of the dirt tracked in from the yard and the barn by my family, I vacuum my kitchen/dining/living area at least once a day sometimes twice on the weekend. And, no, I'm not a clean freak and my house is never "clean"!

I agree with no shoes in the house, leave all coats outside or in a mud room (my garage leads into my kitchen so we leave everything out there). If you're lucky enough to have a laundry room right near your main entrance, try to get everyone in the habit of stripping right there after a really dirty job (like weed wacking or unloading and stacking a load of hay). I also have throw rugs near the back door where the dogs go in and out. Yes, I have to wash the throw rugs but it beats wiping up muddy/wet dog prints all of the time and stretches out the interval between full out moppings.

Sometimes when I visit my sister's house (she has no pets and lives in a nice little development) I fantasize about what it would be like to have a house that never has pet hair/horse dirt/hay pieces/mud in it. But then what would I do with all of my extra time? :)

Jaegermonster
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:07 PM
There is a Roomba shop vac that I am going to try for my house. I'm not even going to mess with the regular Roomba.

belleellis
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
I love my Roomba. It is not perfect but if you let it run every day in the busiest rooms it does pretty good. We board so dont have as much dirt as some but do have 2 corgis and a husband in construction. When we buy land we are building a HUGE MUDROOM!! (OH ONE DAY!)

RougeEmpire
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
I also got my Roomba from Woot.com. I LOVE woot (42 flatscreen, Roomba, Deep Fryer, Bacon Salt and just recently a Queen Sized Memory Foam bed)! My Roomba has passed the other household pets in ranking, Roomba is number one! "He" established dominance by chasing the critters away from their food bowls and smashing into them, declared "this food is mine!". Alas they have all made peace and live happily together. I have all hardwood floors and no kids (i think it makes a big difference!) Roomba does his thing every night, happily boop boppin around the house eating dirt, cat hair and pet hair. Though there IS a strict no shoes rule in my house, all shoes boots and coats come off in the MUD ROOM, very little gets tracked in.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have an Electrolux stick vac. It's the reddish one that has a dustbuster attachment. I like it a lot, but I do have to take it apart occasionally to remove sticks and long blonde hairs (mine). It does fine with dirt, sand, dog and cat hair.

I try to get rid of shoes at the door, but I forget sometimes, plus I have three dogs and 5 cats. With all the sand that attaches to their little paws, the kitchen floor is just always a mess. I gave up keeping it spotless because I would have to scrub it daily. It's an older linoleum floor that has the shine worn off from sand being tracked in.

We are going to build a house eventually if we stay here, and a mud room is going to be a necessity. As well as an attached feed/tack room and a couple stalls. I am sooooo tired of my tack molding after a week of summer.

Oh, I also had a Bissell steam mop. For farm use, it's worthless. I would have to buy so many extra cloth pads for it that I might as well just use the regular string mop.

deltawave
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:11 PM
Heh heh. I love woot. :D It's sort of like Tack of the Day for non-horsey people. Only shipping is cheap. ;)

Bluey
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
If not a Roomba, think whole house vacuum.
I have one, so do many I know and no one would give theirs up.
Cost less installed than a top of the line good vacuum and you don't have any dust - at all.
They can retrofit them in old houses, ask any good electrical company.

MistyBlue
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:45 PM
A shedding Malamute killed a Roomba in 6 weeks. Well, it semi-burnt out the motor. The actual Malamute killed it...shook it to death when it started up next to him while he was napping. Roomba rule #1, do NOT startle the 164# dog during his nap.
I was disappointed with the quick death, but the teeny tiny little dirt holder lasted all of 5 minutes before being stuffed full anyways. Kind of a waste of money IMO.
Tried the Dyson Animal. I would say it sucked, but the problem was that although it doesn't lose suction it never had enough to begin with for me. Not to mention it has crappy attachments so basically doing furniture and anything other than floors wasn't happening well. The furniture attachment wasn't powered by electric, only by the suction. So on tough hair really stuck the beater brush would just stop. Returned that one.
Went for the $1200 Electrolux. Returned that one in 3 days.
Went back to the canister style top of the line Kenmore. I vacuum daily, my vacuums get beat to hell because I'm a neat freak when it comes to pet hair and dirt. The Kenmore model I have is the only one that has a serious full electric powered beater brush on the stairs/furniture attachment, that still has a buttload of power when you extend the wand for cleaning ceiling fans, has the worlds easiest and best swap from carpet to hard floors and doesn't fling stuff around or ever spew dust. It allows my OCD style clean to happen, LOL! These last 5-7 years for me before I buy new ones. About $600 on sale and $780 regular price.

ReSomething
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:52 AM
Build a nice roomy mudroom with benches and lots of hooks and a bath attached and then maybe get a Roomba. Otherwise it'll get full too fast.

KnKShowmom
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
My vac broke last week so the timing on this thread is perfect!

We have a mudroom and I was considering the Roomba but figured it would drive my dogs nuts and there is a step down to the sunroom that would be an issue so I am glad to hear it doesn't really help our kind of dirt.

The Hoover I had was a piece of junk - used to have a Kenmore years ago but was trying to stay away from a canister because pulling it around seems to bother my neck more than pushing an upright.

Has anyone had any luck with Orecks? I really like the light weight feature but don't know if it can handle the lab hair/farm dirt.

3Spots
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have heard Orecks are not very good from friends, but I don't have one. I have a cannister Miele. It was $1000 five years ago and I absolutely love it for pet hair (and everything else, but it really gets pet hair!). Four cats. I even use it to vacuum the top of the bed where they sleep and it doesn't damage the down blanket (you can adjust the power brush head to no spin or high spin).

I board my horses and also keep most of my shoes/jackets in the garage before I come in. So it doesn't get that dirty, just pet hair. I was hoping the Roomba was more successful, since despite having a great vacuum, I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.

Bluey
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
Five years ago, the whole house vacuum was a hair over $600 and if I ever build a barn, that is what I will have for horse vacuum, with several outlets all along the aisle and/or in grooming stalls.

I have heard the prices are about the same still today.

Now, you can't carry that vacuum around, but with the right hoses and outlets, you should be able to reach all and any place in a house and barn.

Just one more option.:)

li'l bit
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
I was VERY disappointed in the Oreck vacuums. All advertising hype. Like an earlier poster, the Kenmore canister vacs with retractable cord cannot be beat for the price. Very powerful and hard to kill.

Mozart
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:50 PM
We need a vacuum thread.......It is HR, really it is!:)

Alagirl
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
You really have to get into the habit of taking off outdoor shoes when you come in, city or barn.

I think I need to check out the Roomba...no long haired animals, and it would hold me over till my twice annual cleaning sprees ;):o:D

In any case, it helps greatly if you have a HUGE mud room through which you enter the dwelling (my Uncle's was about 14'x14' with a huge selection of boots and house shoes and such, even with not cleaning daily the house stayed nice)

scpezold
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
Five years ago, the whole house vacuum was a hair over $600 and if I ever build a barn, that is what I will have for horse vacuum, with several outlets all along the aisle and/or in grooming stalls.

I have heard the prices are about the same still today.

Now, you can't carry that vacuum around, but with the right hoses and outlets, you should be able to reach all and any place in a house and barn.

Just one more option.:)

Hey Bluey, our home has a central vacuum (I am thinking this is what you are talking about). It is a Nutone. I vacuumed with it for a couple of years and thought I was getting pet hair up (we have cream carpet mixed with a yellow lab, white lab and a golden retriever so hair is plentiful but not obvious). I had it serviced and all the lines "flushed" out when we moved in just to make sure everything was in working order. The suction was just not all that great but I just kept on using it going over areas twice.

Hubby comes home one night with a dyson "animal". I was pretty upset as the price was around $600:eek: and hubby did not consult me before purchasing. All doubts went out the window when we cranked that bad boy up. I was mortified, MORTIFIED and embarrassed at what we pulled out of just our living room carpet. It was as if we had vacuumed up a whole other dog!! What was even worse was that the dog hair was acting as an "insulator" for all the dust underneath. So not only was the vacuum not picking up the pet hair it was not picking up the dust and dirt underneath. Needless to say the Nutone has not come out of the closet since then.

My parents have a Hoover central vac at their house. I had raved so much about my dyson animal that mom took it home with her to test it out while we were out of town. SHe had just had her carpets cleaned and you would not believe the stuff she pulled out of her carpets. She put her "findings" from each room on a piece of white poster board (so it would show up better) When dad came home she had a row of poster board lined up on the floor so she could show him.
Guess what we got mom for Mothers Day?

I could be a spokesperson for dyson. They should be paying me for all the free advertising I give them:lol: I CHERISH my dyson and would probably kill for it as well:yes:

MistyBlue
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:47 PM
Has anyone had any luck with Orecks? I really like the light weight feature but don't know if it can handle the lab hair/farm dirt.

Nope, Oreck is a piece of overpriced crap for a house with pets or real dirt. Hubby bought me one 2 years ago. I keep it in the basement and only use it down there once in a while.
For an apartment vacuum or lighter duty...it really is only 8 lbs and simple as heck to push around (I have arthritis in both shoulders so vacuuming can be painful as heck) and transitions well from carpt to floor. However, there's no such thing as attachments...so can't do stairs or furniture. I wouldn't waste the money.

Canisters can be a pain in the butt once in a while when you're pulling it behind you and it gets stuck on a corner...I agree there. But they've made big improvements on them...and the hoses no longer wear out or tear. My newest one has the electric furniture and stairs attachment, it has the thing to balance on stairs, telescoping wand, real hair brushes, ceiling fan attachment...you name it. I can go through a room and clean more than the floors...I can do the furniture and baseboards and ceiling vetns and ceiling fans and lamp shades and drapes and cobwebs....and everything is attached to the vacuum and pops on and off easily. I do vacuum daily which sounds excessive, but I literally can keep everything from floor to ceiling immaculate and be out of a room in 10 minutes tops. Even when doing hard floors, the hard floor attachment it already on and detaches with a tap of your foot...and it has small wheels so it's not pushing hairballs along or blowing them everywhere.
This is the one I bought I think...I could have sworn it was $699 and not $599 but this one has all the stuff mine has:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02028015000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Vacuums+%26+Floor+Care&sName=View+All
And it's on sale. Seriously, it kicked the butts of vacuums that cost almost double that. Including the Dyson, Electrolux, etc.

Bluey
Oct. 29, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Bluey, our home has a central vacuum (I am thinking this is what you are talking about). It is a Nutone. I vacuumed with it for a couple of years and thought I was getting pet hair up (we have cream carpet mixed with a yellow lab, white lab and a golden retriever so hair is plentiful but not obvious). I had it serviced and all the lines "flushed" out when we moved in just to make sure everything was in working order. The suction was just not all that great but I just kept on using it going over areas twice.

Hubby comes home one night with a dyson "animal". I was pretty upset as the price was around $600:eek: and hubby did not consult me before purchasing. All doubts went out the window when we cranked that bad boy up. I was mortified, MORTIFIED and embarrassed at what we pulled out of just our living room carpet. It was as if we had vacuumed up a whole other dog!! What was even worse was that the dog hair was acting as an "insulator" for all the dust underneath. So not only was the vacuum not picking up the pet hair it was not picking up the dust and dirt underneath. Needless to say the Nutone has not come out of the closet since then.

My parents have a Hoover central vac at their house. I had raved so much about my dyson animal that mom took it home with her to test it out while we were out of town. SHe had just had her carpets cleaned and you would not believe the stuff she pulled out of her carpets. She put her "findings" from each room on a piece of white poster board (so it would show up better) When dad came home she had a row of poster board lined up on the floor so she could show him.
Guess what we got mom for Mothers Day?

I could be a spokesperson for dyson. They should be paying me for all the free advertising I give them:lol: I CHERISH my dyson and would probably kill for it as well:yes:

Ours is a Vacu Flo and it has tremendous sucking power, you better not let your chihuahua get close.:eek:

We had all kinds of canister vacuums and this central house one is considerably stronger than any I have ever seen.

I have several friends that have the same I have and they too say they are extremely powerful ones.:yes:

I don't know, maybe there are different powers in them?

katarine
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hey now, my canister Electrolux Classic kicks ass. I can switch the beater bar off, vacuum my high traffic tile kitchen floor, run my bare palm over it, and it comes up CLEAN.

LOVES me some Electrolux. Best 600 bucks I ever spent.

MistyBlue
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
LOL...well the Electrolux is my number two choice. :yes: But the one I had before returning it they charged me around $1200 for it! :eek: Canister too. That model did a decent job, but for that amount I was expecting something a tad more...I dunno....miraculous at least.
Which was why I went back to the $600 Kenmore...did same or better for half the price. Had I gotten the Electrolux model for $600...(had I know they had one, I stupidly bought mine at a fair) I would've kept it.

RU2U
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:15 PM
Kenmore cannister. 20 years old, still SUCKS LOL :) It does a really good job. Our new house is all hardwood floors and it still does the best job. I have replaced hoses, I have replaced cords, but that motor just hums along. My daughter is 10 my son is 8 and it will suck up barbie accesorys, legos and even cranyons and magic markers with ease. We have 2 dogs in the house, numerous cats in and out and you would never know it.

Mali
Oct. 31, 2009, 05:32 PM
I was VERY disappointed in the Oreck vacuums. All advertising hype. Like an earlier poster, the Kenmore canister vacs with retractable cord cannot be beat for the price. Very powerful and hard to kill.

FWIW though, the little freebie hand-held Oreck makes a wonderful horse vacuum :) A friend of mine purchased the large upright Orek & received the hand-held as a freebie. She asked me if I would like it, and I trucked that puppy right out to the barn. It works so well, that I even picked up a 2nd hand-held one at an auction for $10!

Irishrose261
Oct. 31, 2009, 05:36 PM
My roommate and I have a Roomba downstairs on our hardwoods. The key is to run it every day, or else it gets really clogged up because it can't handle heavy duty dirt. It's also not very good on carpet....

My Dyson lives upstairs, where we have carpeting. With two dogs (and one is a Chow/Border Collie mix that SHEDS like nothing I've ever seen), we do well with this set-up :)

Claudius
Nov. 1, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thank YOU for the most useful post of the Day, not withstanding the "Does my butt look big?" and "How do I look on my horse?" entries, YOURS wins by a mile!!! I plan to go to Sears and check them out and also try a Dyson.

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:09 PM
I board my horses and also keep most of my shoes/jackets in the garage before I come in. So it doesn't get that dirty, just pet hair. I was hoping the Roomba was more successful, since despite having a great vacuum, I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.

I don't believe you. I recall that nothing seems to stick to you. I've never known anyone who can be outside around horses and stay as clean as 3Spots!

Pookah
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
I recently won a Roomba pet vacuum, and I like it, but had I paid for it, I would be returning it. Same complaints as previous posters--I live in a pretty small apartment, and by the time I prep all of the rooms for the Roomba, I could probably just vacuum and be done with it. It does a decent job, but not as good as a real vacuum. For the price, I would just buy a regular vacuum--everyone I know with a Roomba also has a regular vacuum, because the Roomba is really just good for daily maintenance, not thorough cleaning.

Marcella
Nov. 2, 2009, 12:37 AM
Roomba 5, Cats 0.

I love the Roomba. It beat the pants off all 4 of my cats! I have 4 cats, they have yet to kill my Roomba, and are finally now all scared of it, after the dominant one got her a$$ beat two times by it with the rake things that stick out to keep the animals away.

I have hardwood, and the Roomba is a godsend. I used to vacuum every day because of the hair (and the dirt from the horse and chickens) and sand from our beach. Now, the Roomba just runs 99% of the time and everything is nice and clean!

TripleRipple
Nov. 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have a shedding wonder dog, so am glad to see this thread - had considered a roomba, but doesn't sound like it will do this kind of heavy duty work. At my other house, I have a central vaccum that has never had a problem with extreme dog hair or dust or anything. Didn't put that in here, because I thought this was only going to be a vacation house.

This year I got so fed up with dirt/snow/light mud and all the manure & muck that dogs, horses and cattle create that I came up with a different plan. New rules: Rule 1 - no shoes or outside coats ever come into this house, both for us or any visitor (if they want to wear shoes, they can meet me at a restaurant in town for a night out. I refuse to worry about where my or anyone's shoes have been before they step into my home). Rule 2: every entry to this house that I want to be of use to me will have an outer chamber for me and dh to remove said outside wear and shoes/boots, clean off dog paws, etc.

We still have the garage to walk through if needed, but dh is in the process of building two "entry mud airlock" rooms (I don't know what the heck to call them, but those are the functions) outside of two of our outer house doors. One is a door we have never used in the winter due to snow, ice and 50+ mph winds on that side - and that sucker was supposed to be our front entry door.

The other door comes into the kitchen, so I've not been happy with the shoes, coats, and dog items that started to pile up in that corner of the kitchen. Even cleaning immune me was getting grossed out. These entry/mud/airlock rooms are small - about 6' by 8', but it will give us a place to deposit snowy coats, boots, etc to dry off and stay out of the house, plus the kitchen door room will also give us a place to drop firewood without getting it wet while we take off our snow coat (the wood is on the larger deck outside this room). We had some leftover board/batten for siding, and bought shingles for wall accent and roofing. So far, I left the flooring just as the deck it was, but have enough spare tile that I could upscale this if I want to (but we do live on a ranch, so don't want it too fancy in my case).

Sure, we could always use the garage in the winter, but the fact is that we don't due to the firewood placement and the plain convenience of the kitchen door. And I was about to wall off that fancier entry door due to its perpetual non-use. Sure, this is very non-standard, but it is one of the best things I've ever done to make this house more useful for how I want to live.

Only one life - too short to be cleaning like a fiend or worrying about curb appeal or what a future buyer 20 years out might like or dislike. Besides, anything you build like this can also be torn out easily if we ever decided to sell. Never want to wake up someday as a very ancient 80 year old lady, who finds that she used up the short amount of days that she was allotted in life in cleaning more than was necessary, instead of experiencing the other things life has to offer. I have a chronically bitter and unhappy mother as an example of how I do not want to end up at the end of my time here.

It won't work for everyone, but anyway, this is my current solution - told dh some people customize hot rods, I customize my house as I see fit:) I admit, I am getting more eccentric by the day, and really enjoying it.

Alagirl
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:08 PM
get the kitchen mudroom entry airlock as big as you can. You will need every inch! ;) You could stock a number of slippers for guests. I know I appreciated them at my aunt's house, even tho she did not make us take of 'clean' shoes.

And the entrance 'airlock' is common place in German houses for example. usually holds a wardrobe/closet thingey so you don't have to clutter up the living room (I hate the American front door opening into the living room, there is NO WAY you can keep that clean) They call it Windfang - wind catcher. Nice to have that barrier when the weather is vile.

TripleRipple
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:23 PM
Alagirl - dh's mom's side of the family was German, and now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall that we did see this in some of the homes when we visited many years ago, I will have to remind dh about that, he will get a kick out of that fact!

I always have the garage to fall back upon for excess stuff (or really bulky items), and if we go larger than a 6x8, we lose more view from nearby windows (I did have him put a window in these rooms, which did lose us some storage space). But if this size, with cubby holes and hangers and things neatly placed is not enough, we will tear out one wall next summer and enlarge these "Windfangs". I was going to stock big fat white socks that I planned to buy in bulk, but slippers might be nicer.

I love that there is a name for this practical solution, and that my idea is not so much outside of the norm for some places in the world!

ETA: when his mom came to live in the US, of all the houses they looked at, she picked the one that had a half glassed entry with slate floors built in front of the entry door (was not the norm for that rural neighborhood). I had forgotten all about that house until now - I bet this is what she was used to growing up in Germany.

Alagirl
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:38 PM
Eh, you are still the rebel! ;)

definetly one thing I would love to incorporate in my house, but the space and budget is limited (other, more pressing projects on the to-do list)

http://web206.login-47.hoststar.ch/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=28

maybe you can find something like this ^_^

FalseImpression
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
our home has a central vacuum (. It is a Nutone. We have light coloured carpet mixed with a yellow lab,
so hair is plentiful but not obvious). The suction is just not all that great.
It is also old, but we have replaced the power beater brush several times. I hate it!

I wish Hubby came home with a dyson "animal". I would not be upset as the price is around $700 in Canada

Italics mine! hum, well everything went to italics!

I am so sick of the central vacuum. I hate it, hate it, hate it. In the past years, I have inherited my MIL's Electrolux, my aunt-in-law upright ??? and I hate them all. I even have a shop vac! Friends with 3 dogs rave about the Dyson (they rediscovered the colours of their carpets!). I keep asking the friends to bring their Dyson over so I can try it. I will not be mortified, it will prove my point!

We only have one dog, but he sleeps on the floor in our bedroom and it shows. Same in the living room and dining room. I am ready to rip the carpets off and live with the subfloor!

Every time I look at the Dyson models, I am confused as to WHICH ONE is THE ONE every one talks about? with/without the ball?

I am trying to save my money, but there are always other things that take priority... sigh!

Alagirl
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.totalvacuums.com/

I keep watching that late night infomercial of this vac, can't come up with the name...oh, right garry in some spelling or other, supposed to be better than Dyson and Orek.....

KnKShowmom
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:53 PM
I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.

That's why it's called FURniture :D

Alagirl
Nov. 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JSwan
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hey now, my canister Electrolux Classic kicks ass. I can switch the beater bar off, vacuum my high traffic tile kitchen floor, run my bare palm over it, and it comes up CLEAN.

LOVES me some Electrolux. Best 600 bucks I ever spent.

Remember when the Electrolux salesman used to come to the door to sell you bags and whatnot? And the Fuller brush man?

Hello?

Anyone?

My grandma had a Kirby that lasted her decades. Those things are awesome. I don't know if they still are awesome - but they used to be. Heavy, too.

I pretty much gave up trying to keep mud out of the house and bought a bedspread the color of Virginia clay. A few area rugs, wood floors.... and well I've just given up. Especially with project number 12,392 going on (renovate kitchen and old laundry/mud room)

TripleRipple
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:06 PM
Eh, you are still the rebel! ;)

definetly one thing I would love to incorporate in my house, but the space and budget is limited (other, more pressing projects on the to-do list)

http://web206.login-47.hoststar.ch/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=28

maybe you can find something like this ^_^

Those would be perfect for what I had in mind! I still have a rather blank canvas in those rooms, and need to think some more on the possibilities. Slippers might make my visitors more happy; yet socks are going to be more easily washed and it should be cheaper to provide multiple sizes...

I must be watching some of those same late night commercials - the vac saw is called the Garry vacuum. I was so enthralled that I almost ordered it on the spot, but stepped back from the brink when I realized I am too willing to fall for anything late at night, when I am tired and sore and easily convinced that it might make my life easier:)

I am waiting for the info-mercials to offer something that will make an easier job of getting the thick layer of white dog hairs off our wood stairs. I clean the hairy stairs by holding a cheap cannister in one hand, and sucking it up with the hose in the other, repeating every 2-3 days until I can't take it anymore and finally just let it go for a week or so - then repeat process. I am 51 and this is not gonna work long term!!

I'm Irish, but if I were a real rebel, I'd just paint those stairs white and be done with it:)

Nancy!
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:09 AM
We just put in a new modular home. We are putting a 12 x 14 foot mudroom on as our main entrance since we have a farm. Currently I'm going in and out of the dining room door until the other is built.

I have a dyson animal vacuum and love it, which is ironic since I hate vacuuming. Had a conversation with the carpet layer the other day and he hates his kirby but is looking at a dyson. They didn't have the ball ones when I got mine.

Nancy!

Alagirl
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:26 AM
Those would be perfect for what I had in mind! I still have a rather blank canvas in those rooms, and need to think some more on the possibilities. Slippers might make my visitors more happy; yet socks are going to be more easily washed and it should be cheaper to provide multiple sizes...

I must be watching some of those same late night commercials - the vac saw is called the Garry vacuum. I was so enthralled that I almost ordered it on the spot, but stepped back from the brink when I realized I am too willing to fall for anything late at night, when I am tired and sore and easily convinced that it might make my life easier:)

I am waiting for the info-mercials to offer something that will make an easier job of getting the thick layer of white dog hairs off our wood stairs. I clean the hairy stairs by holding a cheap cannister in one hand, and sucking it up with the hose in the other, repeating every 2-3 days until I can't take it anymore and finally just let it go for a week or so - then repeat process. I am 51 and this is not gonna work long term!!

I'm Irish, but if I were a real rebel, I'd just paint those stairs white and be done with it:)

LOL!!!

I saw them slippers on ebay for about 10 Euros, I am sure if you look them up, you can find them in Dollar, too :yes: Socks as back ups!

(yeah, you are a rebel, call yourself Irish....I smell Sauerkraut cooking! :winkgrin::lol:)

TripleRipple
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
alagirl - I believe what you are smelling is the vinegar in the Sauerbrauten:)

For the last 29 years, dh has asked if I'd make two things - a rich dark bread (a pumpernickel? Roggenmischbrot?) and dumplings. I haven't yet found the right recipe for the bread that matches his memory (none moist enough), but am gearing for a go at the dumplings soon. I even blew it when we visited his Nana in Germany and failed to come home with any recipes (Nana was still cooking up a storm at 90, for a crowd no less!). I blame the schnapps & the enormous size of those beer steins. Despite these failures, we have managed to mesh well over sausage of any kind, lol.

To keep this horse related, his Kansas born dad met his German mom at a Nurenberg riding stable, where she rode a horse named Granaught (sp?), whose bit still resides here and is simply the largest bit I've ever seen. I'd imagine draft horses use bits like this, but how could they use such large horses for dressage? A bigger mystery to me even than how to make the ideal dumpling.

When she came here in the 50s, she got it in her head that a saddlebred would suit her dressage purposes, and bought some for her small stable. What a radical idea that must have been at that time. She passed away not long after dh and I met, and so Granaught and the magical dumplings have achieved mythical status in our household!

Alagirl
Nov. 3, 2009, 02:30 PM
to completely derail this, Schwarzbrot lives and dies with the coarse ground grain. GermanDeli.com, is your best bet, I don't think you can buy the grain anywhere unless you live in Amish country.

As to the dumplings, give me a couple of days to dig up my recipe. You can also get the mix (pretty good on it's own) and add freshly shredded potatoes to it, but not hashbrown shredder, really a mushy way...

The essential key is, they take about 20 minutes to cook (when done they float) and need to be served pretty much right away.

And as to the bit...back then the horses, depending on breed had HUGE heads, Hannovarians and Oldenburger were synonymous with big horse, heavy WB/carriage horses, nor really draft. They still were worked in the fields back then. My family always had RSP horses and/or TB cross breds. And incidentally my stepmom makes some mean dumplings! :lol:

JSwan
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
to completely derail this, Schwarzbrot lives and dies with the coarse ground grain. GermanDeli.com, is your best bet,:

Ooooo - thank you. I miss riding my bike down to the bakery in the morning and buying wunnerful breads like Schwarzbrot.

You and ChocoMare are the best. She gave me a link to a deli that sells Kohl und Pinkel.

Life is good...... nom nom nom nom.....

Here's one you might like:

markys.com

Alagirl
Nov. 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
LOL, I got a catalog from Stieglemeyers on the coffetable right now, yummie German style wurst and meats :cool:

TripleRipple
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:33 PM
That would be so cool if you found your dumpling recipe, I would try it in a heartbeat - I told dh, and honestly thought he was going to pass out with happiness, lol:) I fear that website already has its hands in my pocketbook, as we both recognized a lot of things we like to eat but haven't found locally.

As to coarse grain, I have a pantry full of various hard/soft red/white wheat berries, rye berries and spelt. And a grinder that I've been wanting to test drive once the snow flies here. Would any of those ground coarsely work for the Schwarzbrot?

Just when I thought 2 of life's great mysteries were resolving themselves re giant german horses and dumplings, another arose when dh rubbed his hands with glee, and muttered something about his mom's most excellent pig's feet? Pig's knuckles? 29 years and you think you know someone. I will do bread and dumplings; I will draw the line at pig parts. But he cooks too, so I will encourage him to give it a whirl. Shudder...

I fear this could become totally horse related for us, because we both ride and coincidentally, there is a serious growing feral pig problem in our remote valley. While I made the connection right away, I don't think he has yet put it together that he might be able to mount up and ride out in search of a wild one. And I am not going to suggest it, either!

Alagirl
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:13 AM
LOL, shoot some boar and throw them on the grill.

I tell you what, I will see what I can come up with in my cookbooks (German ones) and bread making books (also German)

Dumplings are actually easy to make, just a bit labor intensive. :cool:

TripleRipple
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:31 PM
I came back to check the status of the pigs and potatoes and found the board closed! So a belated thanks for looking those up, if you have the time:)

In the last couple of days, we have almost finished our little "keep the farm dirt out" rooms, all but the doors, which dh is making from scratch, and putting in the last windows and a bit of board and batten siding. Already, I've left my boots out there, and a jacket, and was able stay out of the wind and keep all this stuff outside where it belongs.

Now if we can just get the doors up before it snows, this will be the best thing we've ever done to keep our dirt out where it belongs!

Bluey
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Some seed corn, treated with fungicides and insecticides, was bagged by mistake for wild life feed.
Several sacks were sold and used before they found about it.
Two counties in TX are said to have possibly contaminated deer and wild hogs from that corn and they are advising hunters not to eat any shot there.

I don't know what that corn will do the deer or wild hogs, but wonder if the told them where the county lines are?:eek:

Nanerpus
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:15 PM
We have a Roomba! We use it in the poolhouse where it is flat and open and it does a great job. They also will fix it for you and have a great warranty policy, IIRC. We've been using it for 6 months and it has done a great job - it has sensors that will stop it from going INTO the pool, and just vacuum the carpet around it.

On another note, hubby installed a central vac unit in my barn and it is AMAZING and one of the best things we ever did - I vacuum all the cobwebs with ease, beams, and even their stalls when I strip them as a final step. No dust. Also, it comes with all sorts of attachments and a 50 ft. hose - which makes it GREAT to vacuum the HORSES with!

hr
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:32 AM
This thread has me seriously interested in the Dyson Animal Vacuum. When I googled it, there is a DC 25 and a DC 28. Which one is everyone recommending?