PDA

View Full Version : Did you build your own hay drop chute?

BestHorses
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'd like to build a hay drop from the loft into the lower part of the barn. I've seen simple trap doors that I could put in the loft floor, but has anyone made their own chute? I think it would help direct the bales and keep them from bouncing around on impact. Any ideas on how to go about this? I'd love to see any pictures you might have. TIA. :)

GoForAGallop
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:54 PM
If you're talking about a chute as in a slide of sorts, all the way to the bottom, no, I've never seen one of those. They'd just take up too much room anyway. I have seen, when the trap door was not over a stall, "sides" to the drop maybe two feet long. That sorta directs the hay, I guess, but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.

Ibex
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
I've seen them - usually built along one side of the stairs.

fivehorses
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:47 PM
I saw one at a barn I was at for a short time.
It was a channel on 4 sides, like an eleavator shaft, without the eleavator.
at the bottom, their was a door that opened.
If I remember correctly, the floor could be raised so you didn't have to bend down to get a flake of hay.

The shaft was built for the hay to go down on its end. In other words, when it was dropped, it ended up on one end. It was made to make a tight fit for the bale so it didn't fall apart or explode, or if it did, it didn't matter.
sorry, probably not explaining it very well.

BestHorses
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:23 AM
I saw one at a barn I was at for a short time.
It was a channel on 4 sides, like an eleavator shaft, without the eleavator.
at the bottom, their was a door that opened.
If I remember correctly, the floor could be raised so you didn't have to bend down to get a flake of hay.

The shaft was built for the hay to go down on its end. In other words, when it was dropped, it ended up on one end. It was made to make a tight fit for the bale so it didn't fall apart or explode, or if it did, it didn't matter.
sorry, probably not explaining it very well.

That sounds interesting. I guess I could only drop one bale of hay at a time. But that could work for me as I only use 1-2 bales a day. Or I suppose I could drop 2 or 3 at once and try to pull the bottom bale out while the other bales were still on top of it - one of those things you wouldn't know if you could do it until you tried it. :)

Right now I drop a week's worth of hay out the back of the loft and then carry it back in the barn to the area where I store it. I think I could build the chute right to the area where I store the hay and hopefully contain the bale and the mess with the chute! DH has another project. :winkgrin:

fivehorses
Oct. 28, 2009, 04:53 PM
The way this barn did it, they did not store any hay downstairs. It was in the loft, or in the chute.

I agree, if I only needed one bail at feeding time, this is how I'd do it.
BTW, they had beautiful staircase to the hay loft above.
Also, they had a horrid fire where they lost most of their beloved show horses. So, when they rebuilt(and money was no problem for these folks), they did it with the idea that they would never have a fire or lose a horse again.
In fact, the hay loft was cement, and had something like a 12 hour burn time. It was a fabulous barn. And the owners were also super nice.