PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Perma Life Rubber Products in their arena?

Val Sanford
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Everyone, Apparently the company has gone into receivership, and the new owners in Canada cannot provide any references of the product. If anyone has experience with this product, I would appreciate their feedback.

This is further to my research in putting indoor arena footing. I am new to this forum, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best footing to use in an indoor arena? I am having a 70 by 126 foot indoor constructed in the spring. The site is on high ground, and will be laser leveled, has a good solid clay base, with a French Drainage ditch on exterior side expected to experience the most run off from rain. (not that we have much here!) I am in a cold climate (Saskatoon SK). So, I am looking for something that is inexpensive, and will not break down within a couple of years of use, and obviously something that is low on dust. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who might have some experience in this area. I am partial to sand, having enjoyed that surface the most in my own personal riding experiences. We ride English here, mostly dressage and a little hunter and jumper for fun. Thanks! Val

msj
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:03 PM
I used a washed sand, I believe it was mason sand. Washed means the fines or dirt are washed out. But even washed sand will be dusty when it gets really cold and dry. I put down about 12 bags of calcium chloride, watered and dragged my indoor and it was good for several years with only having to water maybe once/month at most. You can also use magnesium chloride, which is not quite as caustic as ca cl but to be honest, if you use something to protect your horse's heels for the first couple of weeks after you used the ca cl, and then rinsed them before putting them into their stalls, you'll probably be ok. It's what I do. After several weeks my horses are turned out have a good romp and roll and no one has had any problems.

I think the last time I put anything down to keep dust down, it was actually a product called Ice Melt II I think. It was for salting driveways etc. and worked really well. It was only partially ca cl as I remember.

Good luck and enjoy your arena. :D

EventerOP
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the thread, Im curious as well!

msj
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:43 PM
Uh, I forgot to mention that my arena footing is 20 yrs old and still OK, BUT it's had very minimal use as I have a private farm with no boarders. In the past a couple of people rode with me but on the average, I'd say the arena really only had 1 person/day from November thru March. Maybe about 2 hrs max/day and that included when I turned the horses loose for a roll and romp. :)

I know you said you wanted inexpensive but I don't remember the cost difference between washed sand and unwashed but it's really worth it to go for the more expensive. In the long run you'll be a lot happier.

If you are running a boarding stable you will probably get a lot more use than my arena. I belive that I remember reading in the book that USDF put out yrs ago that sand had a 'life expectancy' of about 9-10 yrs. I think the only reason I've gotten twice that is the limited use.

sid
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
There are tons of old threads on this subject. A "search" will probably give you the quickest and broadest base of info.

Val Sanford
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the great advice! I think the washed sand would be good too, trying to keep the dust down. And I realize footing cant last forever. I will keep that note about calcium chloride handy too. Val

Val Sanford
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have been advised to try perma life rubber chunks, (not rubber shreddings) which are supposed to be added to 2 inches of sand. Has anyone had experience with this product? I have heard it is used in playground playscapes. Val

buschkn
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:39 AM
I used river sand, aka concrete sand. I believe mason sand is finer, and therefore more prone to getting dusty. Mine does get dusty if I don't water it so I'm looking to see what I can add to help that.

As for the rubber, I had been thinking of adding it to my sand, but rubber doesn't hold moisture so will provide cushion but do nothing to hold down the dust. I boarded at a place WAY back in the day that had all rubber crumb footing in the indoor. I actually liked it and don't remember it ever being dusty.