PDA

View Full Version : Stable Management Questions

Wonders12
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hello!

For my equine science class I have to do a "careers worksheet." I know most people will choose training, teaching, breeding, etc. So I wanted to try something a little bit different.

I chose a stable manager.

I know the duties and responsibilities vary GREATLY, but I'm having trouble finding information. I need to know the basics about what they do, what's required, what classes one would focus on, begining average salary (I know it's not polite to ask, but I can't find this ANYWHERE), etc. etc.

Any and all information would be helpful. :yes:

P.S. The class is this afternoon, so the faster the better. :D

atlatl
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:31 PM
One thing good stable managers do is work what they can in advance and not wait until the last minute to take care of business. This is in addition to good crisis management skills.

You may want to try putting together a questionaire and then interviewing barn managers in your area. If you interview experienced folks, they may be willing to answer the question regarding average starting salary, since it won't be quite as rude as asking how much they make.

LauraKY
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
Second that atlatl. First rule of stable management "not to procrastinate." You asked your question about 2:15 for an afternoon class. That gives you maybe two hours before class if someone answers you right away. Not really good planning, was it?

VCT
Oct. 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Some basic duties (as you said, it can vary):

Hiring and Scheduling, management of employees

Meeting with potential new clients, answering questions etc

Addressing concerns or current clients/employees

Equine nutrition management - developing suitable diets for various equine types in various work or breeding animals

Payroll

Billing/Paying bills

Scheduling of deworming/vet/farrier

Ordering supplies (bedding, hay, grain, stall fresh, pasture seed, lime, salt blocks, dewormer, etc etc etc)

Dealing with problems that arise and closely overseeing management of problems (colicky horse, injuries, illnesses, unexpected failures of equipment, etc)

Planning for regular maintenance: pasture management, rotation schedule, grouping horses together for turnout properly, fencing repairs, how often arenas get dragged and by who, painting jumps, setting courses, landscaping, manure management etc. Things that are planned ahead of time.

Training new staff

Whats required:

Being able to do the job, whether from experience, schooling, whatever.

Classes:

pasture management
business
equine nutrition
breeding
stable managment
diseases, illness and lamenesses in equines
basic vet skills
basic horse training skills

Average Starting Salary:
20K - 40K (this really depends on what type of farm you are managing.. small boarding/lesson operation would be on the lower end, huge performance horse breeding operation probably on the higher end)

Equino
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:03 AM
Agree with all VCT wrote and wanted to add one more class that had helped me tremendously in this field-Equine Preventive Medicine. That course covered many things from medicating-the hows (IM, IV, SC and oral) and what to give, various wrapping techniques, implementing vaccination and worming programs as well as different lameness, illnesses and diseases commonly seen. Great class!

Wonders12
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks so much!

I know it's bad about the procrastination... although I am on the west coast so it was technically still morning. ;) I meant to do it over the weekend, but I was prepping for our first team's first show next weekend (I'm the captain) so that was a priority. Horses before class, right? :D Jk (sort of)

The information was super helpful. I'm actually planning on interviewing a couple people in similar positions for a different class.

Most people don't know this (I'm too embarrassed to admit it), but I think that would be my dream job! I'm too far behind the curve to ever train or teach on a big level, but the business stuff with maybe some lower level teaching would be great!

I began and have run the school's eq team for 3 years (since my freshman year) so I've gained a lot of experience from that. My main school doesn't offer equine stuff so I'm trying to get a Bachelors in Environmental Studies and Planning in either Outdoor Leadership or Education AND get my associates in Equine Science at the same time. Do you think I'm on the right track?

I know most of it is based on experience, which I don't have a lot of but am doing the best I can. I also realize there's not much money it, but I did the "smart thing" for 3 summers working 60+ hour weeks in an office to make a lot of money and was miserable. Horses make me happy and I even enjoy the work that comes with them. :yes: