PDA

View Full Version : Prayers please

moonriverfarm
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
One of my rescued barn dogs killed another of my dogs last night. She has never ever shown any aggression to dog or human, and the dog she killed was a total creampuff. I buried one and took the attacker to be put down. It has broken my heart and devastated my husband almost to insanity. I don't need a guilt trip but prayers for us would be greatly appreciated.

sickofcollege
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:58 AM
(((HUGS)))

IMO, you're doing the right thing. We had something similar happen recently at our farm. It's easy to forget that dogs are animals. I see them almost as little people, they're my babies.

Best wishes during this tough time.

deltawave
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
What a horrible thing to have to witness or go through, for everyone. :( Peaceful thoughts and may time soften the memory.

Janet
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hugs.

You have my sympathy, having been through something similar in the past.

You can not control everything- just do the best you can, whihc you did.

moonriverfarm
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
I just feel so defeated and miserable. And I miss my dogs terribly.

lizathenag
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:06 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

steelerino
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
At the shelter where I work we had a similar thing happen with 3 6mo old puppies that had been kenneled together since birth awaiting their case to go to court. We came in one morning and they had ganged up on & killed their brother. It was a random incident that nobody could have predicted. Sometimes I guess animals will be animals......so sorry for your loss. :cry:

BBowen
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
I cannot imagine how heartbroken you are on so many levels, especially when you loved both dogs. Just an awful experience; I'm so very sorry.

sdlbredfan
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
Condolences from me too. If you have not already euth'd the one, maybe get a necropsy to see if there was a brain tumor or some other previously not noted health problem that caused the dog to be out of its mind with pain?

monstrpony
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Deepest sympathies. I've been in a similar situation. It's so hard when you just can't know what happened. I am so very sorry.

fooler
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:26 PM
Sorry you have to go thru this. We can not fathom what does and yes sometimes does not go on in an animal's brain. I believe they do somethings on pure instinct or re-action or, or, or - no human logic can comprehend.
All we can do is the best we can do. . .
Prayers and hugs for you

Marshfield
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am so sorry for the devestation you're going through.

moonriverfarm
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:39 PM
All I can think is she is a pit bull rescued from being bait and something snapped. I took her in on "probation", introduced her to my other dogs 14 months ago and never ever had one second of an issue until last night. I would NEVER keep an aggressive dog. My husband and I were just talking the night before about how placid and sweet she was even after what she had been through. She was the last dog I'd ever have thought would kill.

dmalbone
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:19 PM
Oh no! :( I'll keep all of you in my thoughts. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for a guilt trip or for you to feel guilty aboutit. She sadly was a danger to the other dogs, horses, and people.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have had a similar situation here, I'm so sorry for you.
If she was a bait dog as you say, they get tired of being picked on and eventually will try to dish some of it out. They have been so physically and psychologically abused sometimes they do snap. We seized a bait dog in a case I made once, it turned out she was pregnant. Once the puppies were old enough to start playing and going after her tail etc, one day in the kennel she went off and killed them all. It was horrible.
As far as the shelter puppies who ganged up on their brother, that happens too. They get kennel crazy and sometimes that happens.

Many hugs to you OP, it wasn't your fault.

Buffyblue
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
That is just really upsetting! I'm so sorry for you and the dogs! I can't even imagine having to go through such a horror! Prayers.

Casey09
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:16 PM
How awful for you and your family.
These types of things do happen. I know someone whose golden killed her yorkie, and she had no idea why either. The yorkie wasn't running at the time, and apparently it didn't look like a prey-drive/mistook the yorkie for a rabbit incident. It was just out of nowhere.

moonriverfarm
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:50 AM
God is good. Belle the pit bull was adopted into an only-dog home. A male vet student saw her sweet spirit and wanted her, issues and all. I am so so so happy...she gets another chance to love and be loved. Thanks everyone for your prayers. Now I need to pray my husband can get past this as he took it extremely hard.

deltawave
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
Glad that some good came out of a horrible situation, and that you're able to see it. I hope your hubby will soon, too. Could spreading the love to another homeless puppy help? :sadsmile:

MunchkinsMom
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:10 PM
My heart goes out to you and your husband, I cannot begin to imagine the horror of it all.

vacation1
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:41 PM
I was sympathetic until this

God is good. Belle the pit bull was adopted into an only-dog home. A male vet student saw her sweet spirit and wanted her, issues and all. I am so so so happy...she gets another chance to love and be loved. Thanks everyone for your prayers. Now I need to pray my husband can get past this as he took it extremely hard.

You might want to add the rest of the dogs on planet Earth to your prayers now that you've rehomed a dog-killer back into their midst. Or is this vet student going to take the dog to an only-dog island? The dog's the unfortunate product of stupid genetic manipulation and horrible treatment, but rehoming a pit bull that killed another dog is utterly irresponsible. Particularly as she apparently seems fine with other dogs 99% of the time. This is true of many DA dogs; they seem to show aggression only toward particular dogs, but that aggression is over the top. The new owner will undoubtedly grow relaxed about maintenance as she seems fine with other dogs, and Belle will get another chance to kill as well as to 'love and be loved.'

moonriverfarm
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:59 PM
I took the dog there to be EUTHANIZED, fully disclosing all the issue and non issues we had experienced with her and fully explaining how she could NOT live with me or any other dog after what happened. I then signed papers RELINQUISHING the dog to them (small animal clinic at well-known veterinary teaching hospital, mind you). It was THEIR decision and theirs alone to rehome the dog after evaluating her and all that I told them. So please, before you attack me, understand I DID NOT REHOME THIS DOG!!!! I am happy for her and hope that she is in the right place. After discussing this with MANY people including canine behaviorists and vets, it is often not a precursor for future killing. It just wasn't a risk I chose to take.

Casey09
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
Best wishes to you, your husband, Belle, and her new owner.
If she is in an only dog home and is appropriately contained, I see no problem with the vet keeping her.

ESG
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:10 PM
{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} and prayers to you both. What a terrible decision to have to make. My heart bleeds for all of you. :cry:

ESG
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:12 PM
I was sympathetic until this

You might want to add the rest of the dogs on planet Earth to your prayers now that you've rehomed a dog-killer back into their midst. Or is this vet student going to take the dog to an only-dog island? The dog's the unfortunate product of stupid genetic manipulation and horrible treatment, but rehoming a pit bull that killed another dog is utterly irresponsible. Particularly as she apparently seems fine with other dogs 99% of the time. This is true of many DA dogs; they seem to show aggression only toward particular dogs, but that aggression is over the top. The new owner will undoubtedly grow relaxed about maintenance as she seems fine with other dogs, and Belle will get another chance to kill as well as to 'love and be loved.'

Wow, way to rub salt in a wound. Nicely done. :rolleyes:

You might remember what your mama taught you - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Especially when someone is already bleeding inside.

Zu Zu
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:12 PM
So sorry you and your husband and barn family have gone through this terrible experience. Thoughts and prayers for all involved !~

pony4me
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
We've been in a similar situation too. A pit bull we rescued killed one of our other dogs, after living together peacefully for maybe three years. It's heartbreaking. Hugs and peace to all involved.

vacation1
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:16 AM
Wow, way to rub salt in a wound. Nicely done. :rolleyes: You might remember what your mama taught you - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Especially when someone is already bleeding inside.

I appreciated the OP's pain until she added that the dog she ostensibly took to be euthanized is now being given another chance to kill again. I've had two great dogs mauled and permanently scarred in dog attacks, so I choose to focus on those I've seen bleeding on the outside.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:36 AM
Seriously sending thoughts and prayers.

I'm so, so sorry. :cry:

I am glad she gets a chance in an only dog home.

Nezzy
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
I took the dog there to be EUTHANIZED, fully disclosing all the issue and non issues we had experienced with her and fully explaining how she could NOT live with me or any other dog after what happened. I then signed papers RELINQUISHING the dog to them (small animal clinic at well-known veterinary teaching hospital, mind you). It was THEIR decision and theirs alone to rehome the dog after evaluating her and all that I told them. So please, before you attack me, understand I DID NOT REHOME THIS DOG!!!! I am happy for her and hope that she is in the right place. After discussing this with MANY people including canine behaviorists and vets, it is often not a precursor for future killing. It just wasn't a risk I chose to take.

I do not understand this and would be PISSED if i took a dog to be euthanized and it wasn't. I am also afraid for other dogs who may be victimized by this dog in the future. Not trying to blame the OP, i realize this is a difficult decision, but i have also known good friends dogs were attacked and killed other dogs. one was a Pom, and one was an Akita that was mauled by 3 pits. I don't want my small breed dogs to be killed by a dog that cannot be controlled by it's owner. i really hope this guy can keep the dog under control.

ESG
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
I appreciated the OP's pain until she added that the dog she ostensibly took to be euthanized is now being given another chance to kill again. I've had two great dogs mauled and permanently scarred in dog attacks, so I choose to focus on those I've seen bleeding on the outside.

What a pity your compassion doesn't extend to humans. :rolleyes:

The OP made the best decision she was capable of, under the circumstances. I challenge anyone here to do better.

FatPalomino
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:09 PM
:(

OP, you did the right thing. I don't agree with the vet's school's rehoming, but it is out of your hands.

What a very sad situation all around.

moonriverfarm
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
ESG, you're my new hero. Thank you.

JanM
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:34 PM
OP-you did your best. The new owner knows all about the dog's history and went into the situation fully aware of the possibilities. I'm hoping that the attack was a one-time thing triggered by something that will never occur again, but it's not as if you gave this dog to someone who did not know exactly what happened, or someone who isn't prepared to deal with the animal.

Timex
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
:(

OP, you did the right thing. I don't agree with the vet's school's rehoming, but it is out of your hands.

What a very sad situation all around.

agreed there are enough dogs that need homes that haven't already killed another creature. IMHO it was irresponsible on the vet school's part.

but prayers to the op and her husband, regardless

JoZ
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
Condolences to you on the loss of your dog.

I was in a similar situation -- my pit-mix killed TWO of my best friend's dogs -- we did not know what killed the first one and assumed it was a wild critter. When the second dog was killed we knew. She is now at that big off-leash dog park in the sky.

Horrible situation for all involved.

mpack
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry for your heartache! Will be praying...He Hears...He Cares...

vacation1
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
What a pity your compassion doesn't extend to humans. :rolleyes: The OP made the best decision she was capable of, under the circumstances. I challenge anyone here to do better.

What a pity your definition of 'humans' appears to only encompass the OP. My compassion here is for other people, specifically those who own the dogs who will encounter her former pet. They should not have to go through the agony of having their dog attacked by a dog who has already proven his willingness to kill another dog.

citydog
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:12 PM
I am so very sorry. How devastating this must be for you. Prayers that you can move swiftly through the grieving process.

These types of things do happen. I know someone whose golden killed her yorkie, and she had no idea why either. The yorkie wasn't running at the time, and apparently it didn't look like a prey-drive/mistook the yorkie for a rabbit incident. It was just out of nowhere.

Predatory drift can, unfortunately, kick in with any breed at any time, and in dogs who've never been aggressive before. Frequently there is running involved, but sometimes it's a squeak or a seizure or a fall or who knows what. It's scary to see--truly, it's like a switch flips in the dog's head.

Again, my heart goes out to the OP.

Casey09
Oct. 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
So true, citydog. I've seen this in obedience classes when one dog gets a correction and "squeaks," and suddenly you see other dogs look at the squeaker like it's a squirrel. It is very scary to see, because you can tell that in a less controlled situation, it could be bad.

ESG
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:52 PM
What a pity your definition of 'humans' appears to only encompass the OP. My compassion here is for other people, specifically those who own the dogs who will encounter her former pet. They should not have to go through the agony of having their dog attacked by a dog who has already proven his willingness to kill another dog.

Your reading comprehension isn't up to much, is it? Where, exactly, did I say that the OP is the only human to whom I would extend compassion?

I realize that the best defense is a good offense, but this just isn't working.

The dog wasn't under human control/restraint when she attacked the other dog. If she had been, who knows what would have happened? She may go the rest of her life and never so much as curl a lip at another living thing. You don't know, neither do I, and neither of us has any control over the situation, so stop venting your spleen to no good effect

Wanderluster
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:36 AM
UHUM... Apparently some people feel that it is OK to come here and be blatantly hostile to someone that has suffered the worst kind of loss. I am clueless as to why anyone would further inflict accusations and pain?
You are heartless to have anything other than sympathy for this situation. :(
I am so sorry that your willingness to foster a dog cost your family such a huge price. I hope that you are able to give another dog a chance some day. You did all of the right things that was really brave.

Moderator 1
Oct. 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
Please tone down the in-fighting--if you've made your point regarding the situation, move on--there's no need for the extensive back-and-forth, particularly on a topic that's not directly horse-related and understandably very painful for the OP.

Thanks,
Mod 1

moonriverfarm
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
To the moderator: what made it horse related was that this was a barn dog....they keep us and the livestock well protected. I would not have posted about a house dog, I promise!
And again, thank each of you for your kind words during what is still one of the hardest things I've ever had to live with.

My Two Cents
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:00 PM
UHUM... Apparently some people feel that it is OK to come here and be blatantly hostile to someone that has suffered the worst kind of loss. I am clueless as to why anyone would further inflict accusations and pain?
You are heartless to have anything other than sympathy for this situation. :(
I am so sorry that your willingness to foster a dog cost your family such a huge price. I hope that you are able to give another dog a chance some day. You did all of the right things that was really brave.

I agree with Wanderluster. This has to be incredible difficult and my heart goes out to you. I hope you can find it in your heart to take a leap of faith and eventually get another dog that needs a loving home.