PDA

View Full Version : Clipping- leave the legs?

Jagged
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:37 AM
What is the verdict on body clipping a horse, but leaving the legs. Going to one more USEA event this year. Be honest.

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:45 AM
Absolutely. I always leave the legs and I have seen a number of horses at recognized shows lately that have furry legs.

scribbles
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:49 AM
eventers do it all the time! you should see a lot of horses there like that... now if you were going to a H/J or dressage show.... there wouldnt be any horses with legs left.

Jagged
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:51 AM
Great. My horse and his thermostat will be glad to have those opinions.

caevent
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yep. Leave em. The only legs I clip off are for horses going to an FEI event. Otherwise having that extra coziness and protection is nice for them.

deltawave
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:19 AM
Leave the legs hairy.

Hilary
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
I leave the tummy hair too- who wants cold muddy water splashing on their newly shorn tummy.

You can clip down around the side so it's not so obvious.

GotSpots
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
We don't clip legs and just resign ourselves to several months of double-takes every time we see a bulge of fur. I swear I see tendons in every bit of fluff or whorl.

atleventer
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
for the fall, I typically leave my Prelim horse's legs furry. I won't clip them until probably Jan. or Feb. of next winter.

yellowbritches
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:50 AM
We don't clip legs and just resign ourselves to several months of double-takes every time we see a bulge of fur. I swear I see tendons in every bit of fluff or whorl.
Ha! Isn't that the truth!!! We have a hairy beast of a draft cross now that I'm constantly going "WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!", but it really is just his hairy, hairy legs. I'm actually going to clip him right now. Hopefully, I can tame his feathers enough to not have that panic attack so often! :lol:

Cody
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
Yep leave the legs. I haven't clipped legs in so many years I can't remember. And most of the time the head doesn't get it either.

Cody

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:31 PM

Haha.......Daily heart attacks!

I'm with the rest of 'em-leave the legs. Not only is it better for the beasts, clipping legs is a royal PIA. Why bother!!? :winkgrin:

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:57 PM
I leave their legs furry! I think if you shave the legs they look like naked mole rats.. :lol:

in limine
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
Generally agree with the previous posts - although I think it also depends on whether the horse will be spending the winter down south - in a hot climate, I would clip legs too.

judybigredpony
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:24 PM
I leave the legs hairy and just do a V clip from back of knees up to inside of elbow and from above hocks to around inside of hind leg to give sweat a place to run and get hosed off w/O wetting horse. Been doing it for 30 years that way. I also will leave a wide patch down middle of belly if they are living out w/ rugs that have neck covers.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:20 PM
Lucinda Green, Zara Phillips and Toytown all seem to agree with us. :)
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galleries/main.php?g2_itemId=1936&

Hey Judybigred, can you post pix? I'm intrigued.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:24 PM
Lucinda Green, Zara Phillips and Toytown all seem to agree with us. :)
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galleries/main.php?g2_itemId=1936&

Hey Judybigred, can you post pix? I'm intrigued.

I think Judybigred is just describing the classic way to do a body clip and leave the legs......or at least the same way I was taught too:D

MMEventing
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:30 PM
Normally I leave legs, except on my FEI horses. And if your horse happens to have bad leg fungus (rain rot) etc, I clip legs then because it helps it go away about 10times faster.

ACMEeventing
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just so I can keep things straight . . . do I, or do I not, have to shave my legs this winter?

shawneeAcres
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
I like to clip legs the first clip in early fall then don't clip the remainder of the winter

three_dayer
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
I leave legs for winter-untill I have to go to a show, and my draft x with his feathers..does not look good.. I do a full body clip 5X a year, so he is pretty used to it, but this winter he gets a trace clip(outside 24/7) untill two weeks before the show, then he goes the full monty....the rest of my horses I just leave the legs...protection and warmth are good....

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
Just so I can keep things straight . . . do I, or do I not, have to shave my legs this winter?
:lol::winkgrin:Absolutely NOT:cool:

Gry2Yng
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:17 PM

LOL! Please...shave!!!!!

Mary in Area 1
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
I leave my legs furry for the winter, and then in the spring, I have to break out the A-5's! :eek:

RiverBendPol
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:30 AM
I leave my legs furry for the winter, and then in the spring, I have to break out the A-5's! :eek:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

She's not kidding:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

faluut42
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:32 PM
so besides the fei horses, does anyone clip the legs of there other horses?

inquisitive
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:43 PM
I do most of the time

Mostly because, as another poster mentioned, my gelding gets crud on his legs and it's easier to keep clean without all that hair.

CarolinaGirl
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
The two horses I clipped last year both got their legs and heads clipped. When I did my own horse a few years ago I left his head and legs. It's a personal preference.. I generally base it on how hairy the horse is. The two I did last year would just look downright funny with big poofy hairy heads so we clipped those and then at that point you might as well clip the legs to make them look decent lol. If I body clipped the horse I have now I'd leave his head and legs... he's got some thick hair but its not long and yak like.

Robby Johnson
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
I think it depends greatly on the horse and the amount of hair he grows. If they maintain a tolerable amount of hair, I do hunter clips all year. If they begin looking like Barbarella, I clip. It's just like that.

I abhor clipping legs as an FYI, but the reality is that you DO see the legs better and if you're keeping a horse fit through the winter, it's just better to be able to truly feel heat/see swelling, etc. And we won't even talk about winter fungus and how much better it is to treat with a nekkid leg!