PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for winter training for my horse....

IrishDeclan
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking about sending my guy out for a month or so this winter in order to solidify some of his work. I'm in Alabama so I was thinking that I'd probably find someone in the Ocala area. I know that tons of riders will be down there, and I was hoping you guys could help me narrow down my search. My guy is a 6 yr old ISH who is at N/T level. I'm looking for someone who is very good on the flat because this is the phase that he finds the most difficult. I was just going to send him to a dressage trainer, but the prices I've been quoted are just astronomical!! :eek: Then when I started to really think about it, I realized that a good event trainer was the way to go. I was considering Jon Holling and possibly Leslie Law. Who all is down in Florida for the winter, and who would you guys recommend me looking into?

TakinChances
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hi IrishDeclan - are you dead set on Ocala? if not, Lindsey Rairden and Nick Cwick have just set up shop in Newnan, GA and they are a pretty amazing pair.... They would be an awesome option for you as they both spend a lot of time focusing on getting the horses right on the flat and really helping them to move and carry themselves correctly. They are well rounded and really excel at all aspects of eventing.

just a thought...

scubed
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
I highly recommend Debi Crowley for this. She is in Alabama, though will be going to Florida for a bit this winter. Her website is www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com. She has evented through advanced, but has been focusing on dressage the last few years and has her bronze and silver USDF medals and primarily trains young horses. You can see some of her dressage scores here:

http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=214&rider_id=54554

atleventer
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:33 PM
Jon Holling! Jon is a very personable and nice guy. He rides well, and is an excellent teacher. He is a quiet rider, takes his time with horses, and is very thorough. I would also reccomend Leslie Law and Sara Dierks.

sfir
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
Send him to Andrew! He fixes all of mine for me! ;)
Ruthie

JWB
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
Maren Foster has beautiful dressage skills, great rates and is excellent with the youngsters.
She's in Geneva, FL.

IrishDeclan
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
Ya'll have given me some great suggestions, and I'm about to start sending out some inquiries. :)

slp2
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:32 PM
Philippa Humphreys is going to be in Florida for a couple months this winter. She has room to take horses in training and is a lovely rider and trainer. Her contact information can be found at www.pheventing.com Send me a PM if you want more information. Lucky you! I"d love to send my horse down south for training this winter (along with myself tucked in the haynet!) :D

AKB
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
Denise Rath, www.greyfoxfarm.com has done a lot of excellent work with young Irish horses. My 6 year old Irish horse learned so much during his 4 year old winter when he went to her farm in Ocala for a month. Denise is patient and systematic in her training. She enjoys the Irish horses and owns several of her own.

The Laws are also excellent (and good friends with Denise). The Laws are about to have their first baby, so they may be a bit busy right now.

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:15 PM
Well, this isn't quite Ocala, but probably closer to where you are in Alabama- Werner Geven at Poplar Place- tons of experience with young horses, plus your horse would have complete access to the amazing x-country course at poplar (amoeba-CIC***).
Also, he and he his wife have gold medals in Dressage.
And actually, Debi Crowley trains with him.

Kaelurus
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
Kyle Carter is also in the Ocala area (year-round), at Five Rings Stables.

subk
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
I highly recommend Debi Crowley for this. She is in Alabama, though will be going to Florida for a bit this winter. Her website is www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com. She has evented through advanced, but has been focusing on dressage the last few years and has her bronze and silver USDF medals and primarily trains young horses. You can see some of her dressage scores here:

http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=214&rider_id=54554
I second this. I've sent a horse to Debi and have to recommend her!

Depending on how far north you are if you sent him to Debi it would be pretty easy to follow up with some lessons for you. Personally, I find it difficult to send a horse away and take advantage of the progress if the same trainer isn't working with the rider to teach how, when, where to use all the new buttons!