PDA

View Full Version : Green Pastures Farm in Brentwood ??

~alter~
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
It's always extremely stressful for me to look for new barns (i think more stress for me than my horse). But my soon-to-be relocation leaves me no choice. I am looking for barns close to Nashville/Vandy area. Only one I've heard of so far is Green Pastures in Brentwood. Anyone know of others in the area? I'm hoping to find a place that's close so I can spend more time riding, and less time driving!

Green Pastures seems like a huge property and a large operation. How is the care they provide? What's the turnout like? Hay quality? Feed? Riding areas?

Feel free to PM. Thanks for any and all info :yes:

Mach Two
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Green Pastures IS a huge property, and there are several different barns there, each offering a different set of amenities. I have not been on the farm in several years, but had clients at two of the barns. Care was very good, and there are lots of areas one could hack and probably do your conditioning work, too. I do know they feed Purina feeds, and buy good hay. Lots of turnout.

There are other barns in the area, and it will depend on where you live, and what you are looking for.
Old Hillsboro Manor is a large boarding barn on Old Hillsboro Road, they have a covered arena, and provide good care. There are some dressage riders ther some hunter riders, some western riders. Turnout is not as ample as Green Pastures

Willow Lake farm is on a side road just off Old Hillsboro, a lovely private farm, and the owner makes sure the people and horses that share her space are well matched. Excellent care. Lovely turnouts.

Tracebridge Farm is a boarding barn that is across the road from Saddle Up, a theraputic riding facilty. Tracebridge provides excellent, hands on care. Very neat and tidy. Large stalls with mats, and an arena.

Wil-lo Blu is the training facility for Bill and Lori Hoos, they are long time eventers, and Lori is a good dressage instructor as well. I am not as familiar with their care practices, but they are honest folks, and the horses look good.

Brownland Farm is a h/j horse show facility, and also the home for stabling, dressage, and S/J for the MTPC horse trials in October. However, I think an eventer would feel lost here.

Closest to Nashville, the Vandy area? In this order:Green Pastures, Tracebridge, Willow Lake, Wil-lo Blu, and Old Hillsboro Manor.

~alter~
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the info.

I found websites for all the farms you mentioned except "Willow Lake farm". Do they advertise anywhere? Where would I find their contact info?

Also, any farriers you can recommend? or ones to stay away from?

eponacowgirl
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:25 AM
Can you give us more info about what you're looking for? And price ranges, etc?

~alter~
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm looking for:
- good turnout (both in terms of time and quality)
- reliable staff
- lighted riding area (not taken up by lessons all the time)
- close to Nashville/Vandy
- prefer something that's not too crowded or full of lesson kids

eponacowgirl
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:48 AM
My barn is not a great fit for everyone, but the care is unbelievable, pastures very safe, maybe 10 lessons a week, 25 minutes from downtown, no lights and our arena is just grass, but we have 650 acres of trails/conditioning and mostly adult boarders (three kids, and they're always well-attended by their parents.) We have a mix of trail/pleasure riders and eventer-types. We're super conveniently located to all the venues in Middle TN. Arena is in the works, lights to follow. Owners live on property.

www.southernpromisefarm.com

CookiePony
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Green Pastures is the closest and I think also the priciest. If you drive a little farther from town there is a lovely farm in Leiper's Fork called Southaven Stables. The owner is very conscientious and the turnout is great. There is a large sand arena (not lighted) and some nice trails. PM me if you want specific contact info.

Mach Two
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

I found websites for all the farms you mentioned except "Willow Lake farm". Do they advertise anywhere? Where would I find their contact info?

Also, any farriers you can recommend? or ones to stay away from?

I don't have Lorraine Ferrell's phone number any more (I'm out of the horse business nowdays) but if you call Judy's Tack Shop in Franklin, and tell them you are looking for her about boarding, they will have it on file.

Farriers: there are many! Ask at the barns, the better ones have regular guys who do good work. Good ones, for a start: Todd Star, James King.

For a lighted arena,
Green Pastures, Old Hillsboro Manor...and you'll just need to check with the others, I have not been to some of them in a couple of years.
I was giving you a list of those closest to Vandy, that all provide excellent care.
Eponacowgirl's place provides excellent care, further out, but it's mostly highway, so may work for you too.

subk
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
Green Pastures is easily the most convienent to Vandy--as it's an interstate drive--probably 15-20 minutes. It is actually multiple facilities a 10 minute hack apart from each other. The "front barn" has a full care barn as well as a 100+ acre field that is DIY pasture boarding with a tacking up and storage barn. It has a sand ring that really isn't a "surface" and I can't remember if it's lighted. After school it is a mass of lesson kids. But there is several hundred acres to ride on and it's not hard to find a nice spot for a flat school. The "back barns" are the high rent district. One barn of 40 horses then two or three 10-4 horse barns. All have use of an all weather dressage ring a jumping ring and a good sized indoor. Turn out is individual paddocks without much option if you want small groups. Care is excellent, but within the frame work of being a really large barn. Meaning horses come and go, not very personal, professional, they will do almost anything to keep you happy--personally with that many horses I tried not to be a difficult owner. Excellent instructors, vets, farriers (and pick up laundry service) always seem to be available. There is plenty of land to ride on but not many (any?) eventers or other riders that would venture out of the rings.
There are other barns in the area...Old Hillsboro Manor...Willow Lake...Tracebridge...Wil-lo Blu is the training facility for Bill and Lori Hoos...
Closest to Nashville, the Vandy area? In this order:Green Pastures, Tracebridge, Willow Lake, Wil-lo Blu, and Old Hillsboro Manor.
These others are all within spitting distance to each other (and my place) and still less than 30 minutes from Vandy. Willow Lake only has maybe 6 boarding stalls. It is really Lorraine's private place and not a commercial operation. Excellent care, very personalized, all weather surface and irrigated jump field--jumps might be put away in the winter. Small group gelding turnout in 5-10 acre fields. (She might not take mares.) It's a great place if you can get in, I don't imagine she gets a lot of turn over.

Wil-lo-Blu is a good choice if you want to be in a program with a trainer on sight who manages your horse for you. It's not really set up for an independent boarder who wants to do any DIY--more of a training facility. Bill has ridden around Rolex a few times so they know how to take care of horses.

Old Hillsboro has a all weather surface dressage ring and jumping ring and a covered arena. Individual and some group turn out. Good care, although it's been a while since I've had any input as to how things are these days.

I know the least about Tracebridge. The barn is lovely. (My barn builder built it :D ) I know they have at least one surface and I've only heard good things.

LuckOfTheIrish91
Feb. 15, 2010, 05:04 PM
I hate to steal the thread but I am actually looking for a place on the other side of town by the Airport. Any ideas? I am on a limited budget and need exceptional care as I won't be out but a few times a month.

Thanks in advance.