PDA

View Full Version : Curious how much people spend on medical bills related to eventing injuries?

mdelong
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:10 PM
I am curious how much people spend on (human) medical bills related to eventing injuries?

Just on average for the different types of injuries..

LexInVA
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
Band-Aid + Neosporin + 40 oz. Schlitz Malt Liquor = $5

Gry2Yng
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:28 PM

LOL!

I have had years where shots and worming were my only expense and I have had years with over $10K in bills on just one horse. I usually own two horses at a time.

luise
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
Well, I broke my wrist almost 2 years ago. It wasn't at an event, just a routine jumping lesson. Needed surgery. Hospital bill for surgery and plate in wrist = about $12,000. I paid the $100 co-pay and that's it. Plus $30 x 8 sessions of PT.
Did you mean human bills or equine vet bills?

tle
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think my most expensive (for me) where co-pays to teh Chiropractor. Seems whenever I'd fall, somehow I'd wrench my hips. I'd go Lex's route until I could get into see him otherwise. :)

Horses? I think I got lucky overall with Char -- she was high maintenance between pads/bar shoes and joint injections, but no real injuries per se. I think my last summer with her was the most expensive... all those things plus 3 unsuccessful attempts at AI breeding. Frankie's bills were high in the year I had her but we needed to get the eye issue under control.

asterix
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:47 PM
I got hit on the head today with a bale of hay; does this count as an eventing injury??
(it really hurts, in case you want to know -- it was tossed from the loft above. Don't ask. Breakdown in barn routine, obviously)

Bandaids and neosporin, double yes to that.

Honestly, most horse-related medical bills that come to mind for my band of crazy eventers are NON-riding injuries...there were broken ribs from closing a stuck trailer window (ok, she is really skinny), piece of thumb bitten off, shattered elbow from turning a horse out in the mud, etc etc...

Beam Me Up
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
Honestly, most horse-related medical bills that come to mind for my band of crazy eventers are NON-riding injuries...there were broken ribs from closing a stuck trailer window (ok, she is really skinny), piece of thumb bitten off, shattered elbow from turning a horse out in the mud, etc etc...

Agree completely--almost all of my horsey injuries happened on the ground (who knew how dangerous hand-walking, trailer-loading, etc. could be!!). Vet bills the same--pretty exclusively pasture incidents, oh, except the trailer incident mentioned above.

bambam
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:58 PM
eventing related? maybe $30 - so far my eventing related owies have been treated with advil and some of those heating pads you can just stick on you from some less than stellar xc jumping sessions/rounds :D (ruhroh, did I just jinx myself?)
horse related? thousands and thousands (reconstructive hand surgery, broken finger, broken nose, sprained ankles, sprained knee, etc). Only 2 of those (1 sprained ankle when I decided to try to land on my feet when falling off (FYI, did not work :D) and 1 broken finger) were even jumping related - the rest were when I was flatting or not riding.

If you mean horse medical bills- none that I can think of were eventing related. Biggest injury culprit is stupidity in turn-out for my 2 Mensa members

deltawave
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Biggest "expenses" by far would've been my multiple fractures and head injury from a fall off Bonnie's mom, but I was in the military at the time so that was "free". The only other big one was knee surgery from a fall off Bonnie (why do I stick with this family of horses? I never fell off Gwen even ONCE) :lol: and there I couldn't tell you how much it cost because it was covered by insurance--we probably paid a few hundred in co-pays, that's it.

I'm lucky--if I smash or wreck something I can do my own X-rays for nothing, and frankly if it isn't broken I usually don't bother even going to the doctor. I was an athletic trainer before my current job--I know how to treat injuries. :) And ibuprofen is cheap. :p

deltawave
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:41 PM
does anyone think its worth spending more on safety equipment? like buying a better cross country vest or better quality helmet?

Depends on the dollar value you place on your vital organs and your brain. :)

Me, I won't even sit on my Shetland without a helmet. Vests I'm not so particular about; my brain is my most valuable organ. ;)

I wish they would do head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons of helmets so we could know which ones are BEST, rather than which ones pass the standard. I know there must be helmets out there which squeak by, and those which exceed, but how am I or anyone else to get this information? :mad: I go with the best fit, as I do think fit is important to how a helmet protects you.

Otherwise, "better" is fairly undefined when it comes to safety equipment. :sigh:

Gry2Yng
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
Oh, people injuries.

mjrtango93
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
I always have insurance, and honestly wouldn't step foot at the barn without it. I actually didn't go to the barn for a week when I had changed jobs and had to wait for the new insurance to kick in, I knew I would get run down by a stampede or have a truck roll backwards onto me if I went without insurance! LOL.

With that I had re-constructive surgery 10 years ago that cost my insurance company over $100,000 after the surgery, rehab, and the brace to stabalize my knee. Out of pocket I believe I paid about $1000 with the various co-pays (I had a high surgery co-pay then). That was my only hospitatization. All various ER trips for broken nose or concussion cost me $100 each as that is my ER co-pay.

TxEventer81
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
Medical Bills:
off of an Event horse = $0 (I've evented for over 10 years)
off of a crazy *** Dressage horse that I was riding for someone => broken leg + surgery luckily I had insurance I didn't pay anything though I'm told broken legs cost upwards of $15k

bambam
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:15 PM
I always have insurance.
I do too- without it I think I would have been bankrupted several times over with my injuries and illnesses- insurance, however, doesn't mean I have not been out of pocket a pretty chunk of change for my medical care

advmom
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
While we are on this topic where do most people purchase their medical Insurance for those who don't havea plan through their employer?

mjrtango93
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
While we are on this topic where do most people purchase their medical Insurance for those who don't havea plan through their employer?

If you are any type of independant contractor you can often get a reduced rate through state programs. This is what my mom has for coverage. It is more then I pay through my work, but still manageable at under $200 a month, and she has no co-pays. Also watch the larger companies like Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Signa and such because they often will do an open enrollment that will get you in a group rate with being an individual.

poltroon
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:35 PM

Your options depend very much on your state of residence. In some, there are few options if you have ever had any illness or certain kinds of injuries. In others, they have to issue a policy no matter what.

I've not had any medical expenses related to eventing. However, I once took a horse out to hand graze for 5 minutes to the tune of $8,000.

SevenDogs
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
I wish they would do head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons of helmets so we could know which ones are BEST, rather than which ones pass the standard. I know there must be helmets out there which squeak by, and those which exceed, but how am I or anyone else to get this information? :mad: I go with the best fit, as I do think fit is important to how a helmet protects you.

Otherwise, "better" is fairly undefined when it comes to safety equipment. :sigh:

I so agree with this!!! I really wish we had more info. I ride in a GPA because I am guessing that it is better than a more basic approved helmet (but have no real data to back that assumption up). I may just be paying a lot more for the same protection (but I don't think I am.....).

JER
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, people injuries.

And I was wondering why you needed shots and worming.

:D

Gry2Yng
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
And I was wondering why you needed shots and worming.

:D

YOu only wonder because we have not met in person. ;)

Had a dressage horse buck me off and give me a hematoma on my tailbone that you could see on the x-ray. I think that cost me $85. Other than massage and chiro (which if I added it up wouldn't be pretty) bandaids, neospor and coronoa. I would rather bleed out than drink a Schlitz.

seeuatx
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:39 PM

Ditto, maybe add an Aleve in there.

From riding, I can ask my parents about that little trip to the ER from getting bucked on my head, and the chiropractic work after. But that happened in an indoor arena on a dressage horse, so it probably doesn't count ;).

Timex
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
I can honestly say that, strictly from eventing, the combined amount of horse and human medical bills are under $50. We won't discuss the non-eventing medical bills. Lol

Cheval Gris
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:40 PM
Well...I am not EXACTLY sure how much my bills added up to because I have a hook up in the ortho office, but.... Had to go to the OR to have my shoulder put back in place with anesthesiologist (they aren't cheap :)-it was too butchered for any kind of open surgical repair(they aren't cheap :), 3 months of PT for that shoulders 3 times a week. I definately got that bill..ha. Broke both wrists at one time. The CT scan for that was 1200$ alone. Oh yea, being out of work for 2 months=using 8 weeks of PTO/sick leave= some ridiculous few thousand dollars. Hmm...I dunno what that total would be. Thank god I had just graduated college when I did the shoulder...being out of work wasn't an issue.

oh yea. A plastic surgeon fixed my mangled lip from getting nailed in the face in high school. Mom had that insurance :)

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
FREE health care in Canada!!! Yay me!!!! :lol:

pokesaladannie
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:24 PM
As a Canadian taxpayer, I know that there is no such thing as "free" health care!

LexInVA
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:48 PM
I thought you Canadians lived in a utopian society with flying cars where everyone got along, there were no STDs, parking is free everywhere, the police are unarmed, the worst crimes are the ones involving the theft of unopened Canadian beer from your neighbors fridge, every TV show is good, cable is free, and people don't pay for their healthcare. Are you saying that the rest of the world has been misled all these years by the Canadian propaganda machine?

JER
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
I thought you Canadians lived in a utopian society with flying cars where everyone got along, there were no STDs, parking is free everywhere....

You got those two switched around. If the CBC is to be believed, there's no parking and STDs are free everywhere.

But it's nothing Tim Horton's can't cure.

Tootsie
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
Is it eventing related if you were training a horse to event at the time?

A broken leg that has wrecked me financially now, even with insurance. Without I would have been wrecked for many, many years to come if I didn't have insurance. A warming, groundhogs and race horses do not mix.

jumpjesterjump
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:09 PM
In the close to 18 years that i have been riding, I really haven't gotten hurt seriously enough to go to the hospital except for twice that i can remember. I've spent probably $500 for my deductible. 1) I fell and severly sprained my ankle at an event, with x rays and follow up with ortho to make sure there were no tendon and ligament issues. 2) On the ground i sprained my ankle again two years after the first time and spent about $100 for a ER deductible. Other than that it is ibeuprofen, band aids and vet wrap. i'm lucky to have good insurance (thank you mom!) that covers everything. I have Assurant for my health insurance. My deductible now is $3250, i just raised it so my monthly payment is $110.

pokesaladannie
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yes JER, Tim Horton's is the first line of emergency treatment in Canada ... every E.R. is overflowing with high octane coffee drinking, beer thieving, bleary eyed from watchin' crap CBC programing, people with unpaid parking tickets and complicated STD's.

Just the place to spend 9 unmedicated hours waiting to have your broken in three places elbow looked at! As if I wasn't freaked out enough after getting kicked ... but never mind ... it's free!

hosspuller
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:20 PM
As a Canadian taxpayer, I know that there is no such thing as "free" health care!

Yeah right! There is no such thing as "Free" someone is paying. There is no "right" to health care either. One can NOT have the right to someone else's labor and talent. Unless we capture dr's, nurses, med techs, PA's, drug techs, chemical workers, chem engineers, packaging engineers, plant workers, etc and make slaves of them toward the Pelosi/Obama medical high command.

But then, I wouldn't be very confident in the medical care and med products made or delivered by slave labor. I'll pay what ever the most talented Dr wants for my surgery.

As to the OP question. it wasn't eventing related... I couldn't horse ride anymore till I had a hip resurfacing two years ago. Cost about $35,000 Made my $4000 max out of pocket. But pay $630 per month retiree med insurance for spouse & I . That annual $7560 does count toward the cost of our health care. If all goes well, I'll pay $80,000 till Medicare kicks in. (if it's still available) Otherwise, I'm SOL:no:

vali
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've been pretty lucky in my fifteen years of eventing and thirty odd years of riding, although I credit early training in martial arts for learning how to fall well. I had a broken hand several years ago that was horse related, although not eventing. I was loading a horse from a trip back from the vet hospital, and the sedation had apparently not worn off fully and he knocked me into the wall. I haven't had any injuries requiring a doctor's visit that were eventing related, except maybe the occasional trip to the chiropractor. I did have a mild concussion a couple of months ago while I was trying out young horses for my mother, but there was no eventing involved.

quietann
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:42 AM
My fall last summer was while training for my first BN event. Fainted while galloping between jumps, landed on the point of my left shoulder, broke my left collarbone badly, plus had 5 broken ribs and a collapsed lung... No head injuries, thank g-d. Went from jump field by ambulance to ER to ICU for a day to regular hospital ward for 2 days, then was discharged. This is the part where I know the size of the bill, thanks to paperwork errors and a bit of "stickiness" on the part of my health plan as I was injured and cared for in NH, but live in MA. The ambulance bill was about $800, the hospital bill was $21,000, and the orthopedist's bill was about $750. I paid $100, my ER copay.

It turned out that I needed surgery to put a metal plate in to hold the collarbone together, and that was I estimate a $20,000 bill for a day surgery :eek::eek: a couple weeks later, done at one of the best big Boston hospitals by an ortho surgeon who works with the Red Sox and the Patriots. I did not pay for the surgery, but my out of pocket cost for medical appointment copays, prescriptions etc. totaled about $300.

In case anyone's wondering, the above costs are with a "gold-plated" health plan for $300/month to cover me and my husband, and that's just 20% of the premium. My employer pays the rest. Because of my medical status, I am essentially uninsurable in the private, individual-policy market, or would be if I did not live in MA.

I was out of work for 5 1/2 weeks and then very part time for 2 more weeks, and *very* lucky to have short term disability insurance through work, which paid 60% of my salary after the first two weeks.

broughton_sporthorses
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:20 AM
Not too much...
Just some physio for torn ligaments in my wrist
Ortho/dentist for when I faceplanted and knocked some teeth loose (but not out thank god!) and broken braces.
That's all so far (touch wood!)

Moderator 1
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:12 AM
Just a reminder to avoid getting sidetracking into a debate about health care policy, etc. Off Topic Day coming this weekend, so save it up for then.

Thanks!
Mod 1