PDA

View Full Version : Where can I send my horse to be Trained?

MH.indy
Oct. 26, 2009, 02:01 PM
I've got a 7 years old quarter horse who spooks and that his biggest issue. I need to save up and send him to be trained (eventing, de-spooking)? He is never going to sell because of the market so i'm resorting to training. Have any ideas of trainers that can handle that in GA or somewhere close to there for a resonable price?:cry:

LisaB
Oct. 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
The most spookless horses I've ever come across have been trained by cowboys. If you get a good cowboy, nothing can beat them as far as that's concerned.

MH.indy
Oct. 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
The most spookless horses I've ever come across have been trained by cowboys. If you get a good cowboy, nothing can beat them as far as that's concerned.

Do you know of any?

monstrpony
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
Where are you in GA?

Equibrit
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.daveseay.com/ - Blue Ridge.

http://richardstraining.net/ - Winder.

scubed
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:29 PM
You might not need a cowboy, depending on how serious the spooking is and if you intend to event him, may want someone who can also put on good dressage and jumping foundation. Debi Crowley is great www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com and reasonable for full training. I do not know her personally, but have heard good things about Jennifer Hodgson-Kozel for young and difficult horses. Elisa Wallace also specializes in tough horses and horses with issues. You should be able to find contact information on the area 3 website, www.usea3.org

MH.indy
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:18 PM
So, I just found out that my parents have had someone riding him that was from my barn. He has been riding him in the dark, which means he can't spook at anything and he has still been doing. He caught the guy off balance and indi ducked and scooted with him. He has learned to feel your balance and when it gets off he takes advantage of it. I'm located in Mcdonough, GA.

shawneeAcres
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
I know of an awesome austrailian "cowboy" that grew up eventing in austrailia. He is great with desensitizing horses and riding problem horse, located in NC

RunForIt
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:43 PM
So, I just found out that my parents have had someone riding him that was from my barn. He has been riding him in the dark, which means he can't spook at anything and he has still been doing. He caught the guy off balance and indi ducked and scooted with him. He has learned to feel your balance and when it gets off he takes advantage of it. I'm located in Mcdonough, GA.

I teach first grade in Henry County public schools. Send me a PM and maybe we can find a way to help you out. :cool:

Cody
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:02 PM
I agree with everyone else about the cowboy. My Spot was awful and spent 3 months with a cowboy and while it didn't cure him completely, at least he was much better. Had I had the $$ to leave him there longer he would have gotten even better. Cowboys can accomplish so much more. If I ever raise another horse or buy a youngster, a cowboy will be the FIRST person to start him.

Nancy

TakinChances
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
I would personally have to recommend staying away from the cowboy route. My bucker spent 30 days with a cowboy and all he did was try and run it out of him…it did nothing but make the problem ten times worse (not that there aren’t cowboys out there with better methods). But there are definitly plenty of good trainers that can help "de-spook" your guy.

Depending on where you are in GA, Lindsey Rairden and Nick Cwick are simply amazing. They took my 11 year old appendix from a rodeo bucker to a well mannered novice event horse in less than 3 weeks. Check them out at capstoneeventing.com.

They come highly recommended for problem horses!

archieflies
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:12 PM
I teach first grade in Henry County public schools. Send me a PM and maybe we can find a way to help you out. :cool:

Giggle. :)