PDA

View Full Version : paraniod and can't sleep

smilton
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
Everytime I bring a new creature to the property or move any one to another feild I end up coming out multiple times through the night to check the children.
I wake up multiple times imagining hoof beats or the dogs barking and can't go back to sleep until I have gone out and checked on everyone again.
Does anyone else have do this?
This wouldnt be so bad except I have been bringing home multiple horses this year and the introducing them to turn out.

blazn
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
Yes, I do this even for less potentially hazardous things.

I went to bed late and got up three times during the night because the weather was supposed to turn really ugly (severe cold front + rain/snow) and I needed to get a horse with stitches under cover before he froze. Bad weather never came; very tired this morning. Horses happily grazing outside. Should have stayed in bed!

deltawave
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:07 PM
I recommend a stiff drink. :D

shakeytails
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
I recommend a stiff drink. :D

or three!

AppJumpr08
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm right there with ya!
Nothing worse than being worried all night... I'm counting the days until we get fencing up that is more substantial than poly rope on the new farm... once that happens, I'll sleep like a baby!! :lol:

Couture TB
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yup. And I don't even live at a stable anymore. To many years taking care of horses with IVs, horses that need their legs iced every 4 hours, staying up with the horse with colic, etc. So the slightest noise sets me off. So I sleep with Prince Valium : ) oh and ear plugs since my husband snores

HealingHeart
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, understand your sense of senses. Last night, it was raining, the wind was howling and a cool front was coming in. The forcast said mid 50s. It was not yet cold enough to sheet/blanket, but there have been those nights that the cold front comes in at 2am and its 60 at midnight, and 40 @ 2, I am out there sheeting them with the wind chills. I just can not sleep at times when the wind picks up and those types of nights....

feed lady65
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
How about waking up from a sound sleep, jumping out of bed, dashing out the door in jammies, flannel shirt, and wellies at 3 am because you think you forgot to lock a gate? And did I forget to mention that I also had to get in the car and drive to the farm located about 10 mins away? This has happened more than once. And once I get there I discover that I DID indeed lock the gate. :)

buschkn
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:56 PM
or three!

Ditto this! :) I have trouble sleeping, but it rarely has to do with paranoia over my horses on turnout. Mine live out, and I have been here 3 years, brought in and out multiple new horses, just put him/her out with a small group and let them figure it out. Knock on wood but they always seem to sort it out just fine.

And honestly, what are you going to do? Try to stop worrying over what could or might happen. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow but it isn't that likely, so I won't stay up tonight worrying about it. Much like one of your horses could get hurt, but that can happen day or night whether you're there or not. You can't spend every minute being miserable waiting for something bad to happen or you'll implode. Try the stiff drink trick and remember that horses have been interacting with each other and running around in the dark for millenia. :)

Foxtrot's
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm a light sleeper, my barn is literally two steps from our bedroom. I hear everything.
I can recognize a normal sound like a bucket being moved, but also can hear it when my horse got cast, twice, etc. Very handy, but I am awake a lot. I can also go out in my jamies.

ljc
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:49 AM
The last time I slept soundly through an entire night was six years ago. Coincidentally, we moved onto this property (where I have my horse) six years and one day ago.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone down the hill to the barn because of suspicious noises, bad dreams, bad feelings, etc.

I think it's all part of having horses at home.

SPF10
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:36 PM
How about waking up from a sound sleep, jumping out of bed, dashing out the door in jammies, flannel shirt, and wellies at 3 am because you think you forgot to lock a gate? And did I forget to mention that I also had to get in the car and drive to the farm located about 10 mins away? This has happened more than once. And once I get there I discover that I DID indeed lock the gate. :)

Found that actually saying it out loud a couple time while you doing it helps to minimize those moments "I am locking the gate, the gate is locked, I have locked the gate" also works well for irons, curling irons, hair dryers, coffee pots, etc....

Equilibrium
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
Camera with sound in the barn helps immensely for those inside. Then I have a couple of mostly outside, but way too fat for 24/7 grass so we live in a woodchip pen at night. The only thing I bring them in for is the wind. Heavy rain sometimes, but mostly they get rugs. I watch the weather forecast to see what's coming, but don't always get it right. So those are the early mornings when I get out of bed and check everyone's alive.

I use to constantly worry about bad things happening in the middle of the night, but then realized sleep was more important.

And for the record the 2 worst incidents ( which resulted in death ) happened in front of me in broad daylight and not a damn thing I could do to prevent it.

The thing that I worry about from time to time is horse thieves for the ones in the fields. We have locks on gates, but still you never know who is casing things out and there are some shady characters, too put it nicely, who dabble in this profession.

Terri