PDA

View Full Version : advice needed for raggedy-coated new adoptee

MediaMD
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
DIDN"T need a 4th dog..nope. But there he was trying to cross 5 lanes of rush hour traffic and looking terrified at what would be certain death, so I did what any other COTHer would do..Stopped traffic and spent the next hour getting close enough to him in a vacant lot to capture him..Initially looked like about a 3 month old GS puppy with a rusty matted coat, but upon further examination at the vet where I shelled out $$$ for shots, flea treatment and overnight board so I could get things ready at home, he appears to be a smaller mix--similar to a Skipperke because his legs are long and skinny, his ears very small and pointy, and his feet are small and cat like. He looks like a mangy black fox with a hairless tail.

Anyway, after 10 days he no longer cowers in the corner with his thin little rat tail scrunched under him peeing in fear, but leaps around with joyous abandon with the other dogs, has gained 7 or 8 lbs and seems to be adjusting fine. We loff him!

My question is this: his head and random parts of his legs and tail are shiny black but his back, under belly and hindquarters are this wierd rusty damaged hair almost like wool that looks like it's been fried with hair bleach. I've washed him several times with my dermatological shampoo and he is brushed regularly but will it take months and months for the mangy hair to drop out and regrow properly, or is this the coat he will always have? Could it be a lack of good nutrition/protein in combination with the flea allergy that has caused this wooly rusty coat?

Any advice would be appreciated

chai
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:43 PM
I don't have any advice, but I think what you did was incredibly kind. He's a lucky dog.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:37 AM
WOWEE, good job!!!!!!!!!:sadsmile: I don't know what the deal is with his coat but have you tried a Furminator? It is a cool gadget that sweeps out old dead hair-piles of it-without pain nor stress to the animals. The thing is expensive but totally worth it. It might get rid of that crummy coat for you and let new fur grow.
Holy cow I've NEVER seen them this cheap!
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=53402&aid=336064&aparam=furminator&scinit1=furminator

MediaMD
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:22 AM
Took the plunge and followed your advice and just bought the furminator. I had seen it advertised but shied away from the price. If you believe it's worth it, it must be good. I really do hope it will help Kibo shed out but it will also be nice for the other 3 VERY hairy border collies who always choose my one precious heirloom oriental rug to roll around on and scrape loose fur off. UGH!

Laytian
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
From your description, it sounds like extremely poor nutrition/starvation rations over a period of time. Can you tell if this dog out on his own as a stray for an extended period?

Moderator 1
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
Here's to your new addition!

Per the stickied notice at the top of the forum, we're cutting back on the general pet topics in the forum, but there will be an Off Topic Day this weekend if you'd like further input.

Good luck with your new guy!
Mod 1