PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for riding in loose sand--Fla.

Judi A
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:50 PM
Need opinons on whats the best horse boot that DOES NOT collect sand in the back of the boot or inside the boot. I know this cannot be prevented completely, but need a boot for riding here in Fla. on the roads which are loose dry sand just like on the beach. The sand getting in the boots is irritating to the horses. I have only tried the older Easy Boots that I had when I was in Conn. They worked fine there , but not here. I do know how to fit them properly + have the correct size. Thanks, Judy

jeano
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:29 AM
Is there a reason the horses cant be ridden barefoot--no boots at all?

For a really really long ride, like a 50-100 mile race I'm thinking the only way to eliminate this problem would be to either use iron shoes or the foam-in stuff inside the boots smack up to the top...

I ride on a lot of deep sand where I am in GA--there's some clay and decayed rock and some gravel on dirt roads but horses do fine barefoot. The longest they get ridden in an average week might be 25 miles, the longest single ride somewhere between 15 and 18 miles. I would be comfortable doing a limited distance up to 50 miles barefoot around here, at least as far as their feet are concerned.

PRS
Oct. 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
I usually ride my horse with hoof boots too but when I rode down in the deep sand at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park near Live Oak, FL I left the boots in the trailer. There was no need for them in the soft sand. I use Old Macs G2 with the gaiters. The gaiters do seem to help keep debris out of the boots. I have been in some DEEP sand, enough to bury the boots but had very little actually get inside the boots. I still had to stop and empty them out, just in case.

AHorseoffCourse
Oct. 30, 2009, 03:49 PM
renegades are open in the back and do not fill with sand.