PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a lease on a "been-there-done-that" horse

Wonderment
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
How do you find a lease deal on a horse to get experience on. I'm talking training-preliminary miles. Everyone is talking about this being the time to look for great lease horses, but I am struggling in finding something like that. Paid lease is pretty obvious, I've checked the area II classifieds and can't seem to find anything near what I am looking for. Struggle!

Talk to me.
-Somewhat horseless in Area II.

Mary in Area 1
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:29 PM
"Everyone is talking about this being the time to look for great lease horses." Who is saying this? Why don't you ask them?

I think this is a great time to BUY horses, but it's always impossible to find a great schoolmaster T/P horse. People don't often sell them, and they definitely don't lease them. Why would you lease out a horse like this? I did once, and the horse was nearly ruined for lack of a knowledgable trainer.

I would only lease a horse to someone who was working very closely with my trainer or one I knew VERY well.

wsmoak
Oct. 26, 2009, 01:15 AM
The really special ones aren't usually advertised, and are unlikely to be available unless you're known to the owner, most likely through your coach.

I can't imagine leasing one out unless he stayed at "my" barn where I know the coach and I could keep an eye on everything. I've just rarely heard of lease situations ending well, especially not in a demanding sport like eventing.

I can relate. It took a solid year for Patrick to find me, and it was totally being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. I have a good idea how I'm going to conduct the next search, too!

annikak
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:39 AM
I leased a prelim horse- and did it to someone whom "vetted" well, knew her, was boarding at her trainers barn, and I knew that he would have a great home. I was sent pictures, talked to the trainer, and asked about the trainer. Sad as it was, it was okay as I knew it was a good place for him to go.

Honestly, however, that was a very special situation and was the best for the horse. I did not have the time, nor money, to keep him as the way he was accustomed to living. Spoiled, perhaps, but he was my boy!! He deserved that to say the least.

As an amateur, if I was not in that particular situation, I would NEVER have done it. A ton of risk as well as hard to see your horse going on with someone else, and not living the joy of being on a great horse. She ended up buying him over time, and it's good for her and for him.

If you can, buy a good training horse or prelim horse with miles- maybe there is someone going to school or someone who has had a drastic life change and needs to sell. Make sure they know it's a forever home, and sell yourself as a great horse owner. Maybe someplace there is a lease situation like the one described above but if not, expect to spend upwards of 20K. A horse that has been there, done that and can still event is worth their weight in gold.

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:20 AM
I have the perfect horse, but he isn't supposed to jump anymore! He did advanced when I got him. I did a bunch of trainings and prelims on him and got a ton of experience. If he was still able to jump, I would still be competing him. But I always said, if he couldn't do the higher levels anymore, he could pack someone around novice or training.

I have another horse I'm bringing up the levels right now, and when I move away from home, I would love to bring my older guy and let someone lease him as a dressage horse. I can't stand to leave him at home and let him just sit there. He needs to be moving.

I guess I agree with everyone else that if I were to lease him, I would want him to stay at the barn where I was or he was.

LisaB
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
You won't find a horse to lease until you find a really good instructor. Then through the instructor, they have lines on horses.
Like if/when I get pregnant, I will be leasing my horse out. But only to one of my instructor's students and maybe possibly to someone she okays outside her program.
Too much can go wrong and there's a lot of trust that is involved on both parties.

ThirdCharm
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
There is just so much risk for the owner.... I've seen a dead-honest easy-to-ride jumps-like-an-eq-horse packer wrecked by a supposedly Training level rider who caught him in the mouth (hard) over EVERY freakin' jump. Took less than a month and the horse was NEVER the same again. $40,000 horse ended up as a $5000 Novice horse who needed a RIDE.

I have a couple of packers for sale at various levels and I would only consider a lease on the expensive ones (the BN/N one is not that expensive) if I knew the rider like a sister. Or better.

Jennifer

deltawave
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
There was one advertised at the Kentucky Horse Park when we were there for Jumpstart--Training packer. I took the number down but never followed up, my looking is still fairly half-hearted.

Wish I could remember the lady's name, she was local to area 8.

There was another advertised on the area 8 adult rider's list, and I contacted her but she never kept in touch after I told her where I lived. :sigh: She wanted the horse to stay at her barn, I guess.

So they're out there, but you sort of have to keep your ears open.

mybelle
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
I disagree with many of the previous posters. Granted, I am in VA where there are nice horses a-plenty, but as a former serial leaser, I still stalk the for-lease ads on the regular (for fun, since I now have my own) and I often see nice event horses for lease. The OP may be in an area where there are just not the abundance that there are here. She will find something. Keep scouring the internet, your local tack and feed shops and put a bug in the ears of all of your horsey friends. Hang around local boarding barns too. Word of mouth is the way to find this horse. And patience.

Start riding some less-nice horses. I often found that people offered me rides when they saw I was willing to ride anything and that I showed dedication.

Correction: Apparently the OP is in Area II. There are tons of nice event horses for lease. I sent you a PM with some ideas.

AmandaandTuff
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
I have leases available to me for a couple competitions, nothing for an actual season. All these were from friends. I think you just have to know the people. I'd also love to lease a horse to pack me through a year.

jn4jenny
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:39 PM
Start riding some less-nice horses. I often found that people offered me rides when they saw I was willing to ride anything and that I showed dedication.

There's a big, BIG difference between leasing a "less-nice horse" and a Training/Prelim schoolmaster. As a former serial leaser myself (who bought the last horse I leased because I adored him so much), lease horses are a dime a dozen as a general population--but Training/Prelim schoolmasters are not. There aren't many of them to begin with, and the ones that get leased generally go via word of mouth.

I also think the T/P schoolmaster has a short leasing half life. By the time the horse achieves schoolmaster status at that level, it's usually 8+ years old (often 10+ years old). It takes anywhere from 2 to 6+ years for a rider to master BN thru P on a schoolmaster. By the time the horse takes two people up the levels, it gets into that age territory where physical demands necessitate staying below Prelim.

To the OP: All the T/P schoolmasters I've known have gone through word of mouth, usually staying either with the same trainer or a trainer that's on good terms with the owners "home trainer". Pony Clubbers have them sometimes too, although those tend to pass purely by word of mouth among PC'ers.

technopony
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:06 PM
Check the pony club websites for the regions near you (if you're in Area II, try Virginia, Tri-State, Maryland, Capital, Carolina, and Delmarva for starters). Pony Clubbers do often have horses like this for lease, and while most would probably prefer the horse goes to a PC home, there's no harm in trying.

CookiePony
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:39 PM
I am the one with annikak's Prelim horse (he is doing Training with me now). annikak is so kind to say what she has said. I was not actively looking for a lease, but the situation just "clicked." In the course of talking to annikak about an unrelated topic we realized that Taco and I might be a good match. It turned out we were right and I wound up with a seriously awesome horse to lease, and then buy. I love him and feel lucky every day that I have him.

My advice is to put the word out that you are looking, and ask around. Word of mouth seems to be how these things work.