PDA

View Full Version : What's the best to get reasonable KY Derby Tickets?

Rubyfree
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've been perusing Ebay and online resellers for a few weeks, trying to decide if I want to spring now or if I should wait until closer to May. I considered going last year and shopped a bit, and I have it in my mind that prices fell a little in the final stretch there- but I don't want to screw this up either; it's our honeymoon. I don't need and cannot afford 'good' tickets, but I'm also wondering if the cheap seats will sell out before those pricier ones. We have lodging and transport taken care of, so I just need the tickets for the main event. Advice, ideas, insight?

Bacchus
Oct. 26, 2009, 02:40 PM
If you are trying to get decent general grandstand seats, I'd get the best ones I could as soon as possible. People will be scalping tickets at the gates, but you never know what you are going to get. (eBay, craigslist and the official website are your best bets. I got my parking for the Oaks last year on craigslist weeks in advance.)

If it were my honeymoon, I'd go a more traditional route and get exactly what I wanted as soon as possible so I could prepare.

Personally, if I couldn't get pretty darn good seats for the Derby, I'd find a cool bar and watch it on TV. Enjoy Louisville and the Derby party atmosphere during the week. Maybe go to Churchill on Thursday just to experience it and horse racing at Chruchill. You can go to the track in the mornings and watch the workouts, etc.

Churchill is packed Derby day. With general admission or (heaven forbid) infield tickets, you'll be lucky to see a horse, let alone a race.

If you and your future spouse are young, don't mind huge crowds and long lines, like to party, and aren't that interested in horses, the actual races and betting, you'll have fun. And I think that's great -- enjoy each other and your honeymoon and the whole Derby experience.

If you are really interested in horses, the races and betting, I'd save the actual Derby for an anniversary when you can get good seats and really do it up.

(I can get a box seat, and I still don't go. The traffic is insane, lines are outrageous, food/drinks are overpriced. If I had an enclosed corporate box with all the trimmings, that's be different.)

BTW, you can take food in (clear plastic bags), which I recommend. Check the website for what is and isn't allowed. It will save you a fortune (in money and time).

Rubyfree
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bacchus. I've been before; I was pretty young though, and don't remember much detail. I'm gunning for the same neighborhood I was in then- section 127ish. We don't need great seats- but I certainly don't want infield or GA. Husband is very excited about witnessing the spectacle, and I'm thrilled to go as an adult. I appreciate the insight and advice- I'll buy 'em tomorrow. :D

Bacchus
Oct. 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
I think that's a very good idea. In general, it wouldn't matter, but for your honeymoon, you want to get everything right!

Have fun and congratulations!

We just celebrated our one-year anniversary in October (my one and only marriage -- I'm 41).