PDA

View Full Version : Townend choked............

Equibrit
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.worldsporttiming.com/live/livecomplet.php?URLlivesession_nb=85282399&rnd=98850484

ThirdCharm
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:26 AM
Appears to be a link to a live feed that is no longer occurring?

Jennifer

J3D1
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:30 AM
Final results are here (http://www.worldsporttiming.com/contenu/documents/0001_002607.pdf). -J

Janeway
Oct. 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
31 faults in the showjumping must have Oliver gnashing his teeth! From 32,000 Euros down to 4,000 hurts, especially when you have such a large mortgage to pay! ;)

Oh well, at least he won the $150,000 bonus...

and hopefully Carousel Quest is fine, and it was all down to pilot error!

JER
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
From the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/equestrianism/6433016/Oliver-Townend-wins-92000-HSBC-Classics-bonus-despite-crashing-out-in-Pau.html):

Townend brought out Burghley winner Carousel Quest in search of Pau glory and led both dressage and cross-country events, having a show jump in hand over Germany's Dirk Schrade.

But he kicked out the first and then another six poles toppled as the clearly tiring 14-year-old laboured through the waterlogged sand surface, dropping to eighth overall.

Townend would not comment, with many questioning the wisdom of running a horse at two four-star competitions within seven weeks.

(Correct me if I've got it wrong but OT didn't have to run the horse at all on XC. His ride time was after William Fox-Pitt's and WFP had a runout which dashed his chance of winning. And winning was what he'd need to do to catch OT in the HSBC prize standings.)

Lori T
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Translation please...if they were eliminated fond..is that xc or stadium?

ThirdCharm
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:11 PM
(Correct me if I've got it wrong but OT didn't have to run the horse at all on XC. His ride time was after William Fox-Pitt's and WFP had a runout which dashed his chance of winning. And winning was what he'd need to do to catch OT in the HSBC prize standings.)

If he was just chasing points, that sounds about right. But then there is the prize money.... dude's gotta pay the bills! IIRC from previous discussions, townsend lacks the silver spoon heritage....

Jennifer

JER
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:32 PM
If he was just chasing points, that sounds about right. But then there is the prize money.... dude's gotta pay the bills! IIRC from previous discussions, townsend lacks the silver spoon heritage....

The point is, the big money prize went to the points leader for the season -- and WFP could only overtake OT if he WON. Therefore, OT was the winner BEFORE he went out on XC and his completion meant nothing in terms of the big prize.

BTW, there was another rider -- Sam Griffiths, who finished 3rd at Badminton and Burghley with his horse Happy Times -- who could have overtaken OT for the HSBC prize with a win at Pau. But apparently, the $150K prize wasn't enough to make him run his horse in another CCI****. And you know what else? In a recent Eventing magazine profile, Sam Griffiths talked about how finally (at age 36) he'd been able to buy his own farm -- so now he has a mortgage to pay too.

It's nice to see that horsemanship still means something somewhere.

Equibrit
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:47 PM
from H&H report 24th October;

Oliver also clinched victory in the HSBC FEI Classics competition, winning $150,000. When William Fox-Pitt had a run-out late on with Macchiato, no one could overtake Oliver in the series where points were accumulated at the season's four-star events.
"It was difficult going out round a four-star knowing I had won the HSBC FEI Classics — going to fence two I had to tell myself to shut up and concentrate," joked Oliver.

nomeolvides
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:49 AM
BTW, there was another rider -- Sam Griffiths, who finished 3rd at Badminton and Burghley with his horse Happy Times -- who could have overtaken OT for the HSBC prize with a win at Pau. But apparently, the $150K prize wasn't enough to make him run his horse in another CCI****.
Yeah, well that would have been 3 CCI****'s in a year. (edited to add: I'm thick. Pau was CQ's 3rd CCI**** in a year. Woops!)

I don't understand why everyone is just focusing on Oliver; pretty sure Armada completed Burghley and Granntevka Prince won at Blenheim which was after Burghley.

On this board it seems people like to bitch about the short format and its lack of an endurance aspect... yet suddenly on a thread like this it's the opposite :confused:

Equibrit
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:45 AM
It's a lot easier to bitch about somebody who just won 150 grand.

RAyers
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
...On this board it seems people like to bitch about the short format and its lack of an endurance aspect... yet suddenly on a thread like this it's the opposite :confused:

There is a HUGE difference between the endurance aspect for a single competition and having a horse on the road 40 weeks out of the year to to competitions. Yes, I know that is extreme but I am using the h/j business model which is exactly where the eventing model is headed.

Endurance is not measured by how many competitions a horse can do. There is no "opposite" or changing of perspective.

vineyridge
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:35 AM
This morning it occurred that Ollie Townend is only 26, so the majority of his years riding for money have been in short format. He is a pure (or close to pure) short format rider. Maybe the way he runs his horses is the way they will be trained and competed from hence forth, as the classic format pro riders disappear from the scene.

nomeolvides
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:03 PM
There is a HUGE difference between the endurance aspect for a single competition and having a horse on the road 40 weeks out of the year to to competitions. Yes, I know that is extreme but I am using the h/j business model which is exactly where the eventing model is headed.

Endurance is not measured by how many competitions a horse can do. There is no "opposite" or changing of perspective.
If you look at Carousel Quests record, he has been to 13 events in the past 2 years.

SevenDogs
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:14 PM
This morning it occurred that Ollie Townend is only 26, so the majority of his years riding for money have been in short format. He is a pure (or close to pure) short format rider. Maybe the way he runs his horses is the way they will be trained and competed from hence forth, as the classic format pro riders disappear from the scene.

Which is exactly what scares the hell out of a whole lot of us.....

sisu27
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
I am riding in a clinic with him in a couple of weeks....can't wait to meet him given how emotional folks around here seem to get about the guy. I am a little scared too....my horse is just coming back after I have been lame all season.....hope he doesn't kill us both!

Maybe I have been living under a rock or something but I haven't seen the guy mangle a horse a la LA, AT.....so what gives? Is it just that everyone thinks that he is a break-down waiting to happen with how he chooses to campaign his rides? Not being a smartass, have I missed something?

roki143
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
just saw in an article on eventingnews.com that he's going to be coming over to compete in the indoor eventing class at the Royal... also didn't know that Waylon was over riding with him. Guess I've been under a rock maybe?

http://www.eventingnews.com/stories.php?news=20091022E-Indoor-Eventing-Returns-to-The-Royal-Horse-Show&title=Indoor%20Eventing%20Returns%20to%20The%20Roy al%20Horse%20Show

denny
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:17 PM
I wouldn`t know this guy if he walked into my living room, so I have no vested interest in defending him, but I think the word "choked" is inappropriate.

To me, choke means to totally lose it, either out of fear or extreme nervousness, and I just doubt that. What I suspect happened was that the horse was just out of gas, and, as a consequence, could hardly lift off, and so he jumped flat, through rather than over the rails.

I`ve seen it happen before, sometimes to great riders, when the horse would have 5,6,7 or even more knockdowns. Most of us have had some degree of that awful experience, where the poor horse just couldn`t do it.

Now maybe, if the scenario I`ve outlined is correct, that means that horse had been taken to the well once too often, which is another issue altogether.

But "choke" is probably the wrong word, is my guess.

Bravestrom
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
I agree - I think the word choke was totally inappropriate.

By the way - he is also doing a clinic outside of toronto - just down the street from us and my older son is attending. We will also be watching the indoor eventing - just bought my tickets today.

annikak
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hmmm...I agree. Choked seems a bit harsh. Don't know the guy from Adam- just hate when eventers start ganging up on each other.

As far as running the horse too often- we don't know his horse, and I think they horse passed the jog so according to those that are there, was sound enough to compete. The short format, well, it's more like a HT isn't it? And as far as running the horses more now then before? well, there are a few things in the horses favor- lots of things have come onto the market to improve horse care- just the joint supplements as an example...worming....magnetic blankets...the list goes on and on and on.

If someone did not compete, who's to know that if their horse was sound that they might not have? How are we to know....?

(Maybe he is the new Darren???

Guyot
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Just laughing because one of the big logic pushes about the new short format was that it would save the horses from having to run so often.. it would be easier on them. Remember trying not to laugh in a BNR's face when I was told this!

Will be interesting to see if in a few years the horses are even getting their vacations anymore at the end of the seasons... their obviously not getting the time off after a CCI 4*