PDA

View Full Version : Supplement for hip pain in GSD???

birdsong
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:26 AM
Does anyone remember or can point me to the thread regarding the supplement for pain given to dogs? I remember that those who gave it noticed an almost immediate relief for back/hip pain....almost a new lease on life.

My 8 yo GSD has been showing very slight concerns..so slight I was just able to identify which hip/leg it was last week...now this week she is 3 legged.

I don't have the funds to go through the myriad meds that promise relief but want to go straight to the one all you wonderful COTHERS have tried and know to work!
Sheba and I both thank you in advance.

birdsong
Oct. 25, 2009, 12:53 PM
Bump...anyone?

Delaware TB
Oct. 25, 2009, 01:00 PM
If your dog is THAT lame, I'd probably have x-rays done first. Are you sure it's a hip and not a knee? It is not uncommon for a big, active GSD to tear an ACL or MCL. If it is a hip, and he is that lame, you're probaly looking at a bit more than arthritis. If he has severe HD, surgery may help. There's no telling without x-rays, though.
One other thing. I've had a dog go three legged lame from Lyme disease. Could be anything.

jherold
Oct. 25, 2009, 03:11 PM
If it is arthritis, go for IM Adequan. But first you need to make sure what you're treating. Unfortunately, that means a trip to the vet. But to go from not quite right to 3 legged lame is quite a change for arthritis. Sounds like something more acute. Also, with arthritis, they start out lamer and gradually get better with movement, just like the rest of us old folks!

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 25, 2009, 03:18 PM
Vets used to prescribe rimadyl but tests showed that it can damage the liver so my vets took my dogs off of it many years ago.

You need xrays as others have said. If it is hip dysplasia, your vet can give you a method of treatment. If it is the degenerative spine condition from conformation that GSDs sometimes get, your vet can help you.

My vet had one of my aussies on bute for pain and it worked, but Ashley took it under the directions of her vet. I give aspirin and cosequin to my elderly arthritic dogs who don't have other medical issues, but I add tagamet to protect the stomach.

What is good for someone's dog may kill another person's dog. See a good vet first and get xrays.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
I posted on your thread on flahorse also, but its www.glcdirect.com

we did Adequan, Rimadyl, other supps,etc with my dog (13 yo aussie). He had gotten to where he really didn't move unless he had to, and today he was running around the farm, chasing his ball and acting like a puppy. When I started him on the glc, within about a week he was like a new dog, it turned the clock back 5 years, I swear.

I finally got smart and I order him the horse one, you get more, it's a little cheaper and it has more "stuff" per serving. He only gets half the recommended serving for now. They will send you a free sample of the dog one so you can try it.