PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what to do - Sundowner trailer ISSUES!!

TaylorMade1
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
So, I have a 1998 Sundowner, 2 horse, slant load gooseneck trailer. It maybe has 5,000 loaded miles on it. VERY well taken care of. Last spring when I called the trailer dealership I got it from about a new ball for my hitch, they told me not to use it until I had the floor checked. I was told horses were falling through due to the floor rotting out prematurely. So I didn't use it all summer long. I finally got it down to be checked out today (its 2 hours away). Well, just as they thought, the floor is falling out. They literally took a piece of it off right in front of us!!!! They told me it would cost 7,000 to replace the floor. That Sundowner WILL NOT do anything for me. I either pay them to fix it, Trade it in to them, which means they give me nothing for it, but I can buy a new one at cost. WHat the hell????? How is that right or fair!!!!!! HAs anyone dealt with this????? I am going to look online and see what I can find out. I guess I just can't believe they won't give me a dime for it and that Sundowner won't take responsibility for this!!!!! I can't afford to buy another trailer. I paid 15,000 for this, and had planned to keep it foever!!!!! Urgh!!!!

NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!

deltawave
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:15 PM
Umm, the trailer is 11 years old and long, long past any sort of warranty. And if you read the fine print, any warranty a NEW trailer may have is VOID if you don't remove the mats and wash out the floor after every use. If you do that, God bless you, I sure as heck don't. ;)

What is it you want Sundowner to take responsibility for? Do you expect the dealer from whom you bought a new car to replace the engine when it is 11 years old? :confused:

Take it to a welding shop, they can fix it. I have a 1998 Sundowner, too, and repaired a few bad spots in the floor this summer. I didn't expect anyone to pay for it. It cost me about $2000, and that includes putting in a brand new WERM surface, which was half of that, so fixing the floor cost me about a grand. I ordered the floor panels directly from Sundowner, had them shipped to the welder, and the thing was done in a matter of days.

Don't panic. Dial down the drama. It's an 11 year old trailer, it's not Sundowner's problem any more. Go find someone to fix the floor. :)

TaylorMade1
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:47 PM
I wasn't trying to be dramiticat all! I was looking for advice as what I could do with it! I guess I came off wrong, but I at least thought the trailer dealership would at least give me something for it in trade. Taking it to a welder isn't something I even thought of. I only asked, because I was at a loss as what to do. Didn't mean to come off dramatic at all.

allpurpose
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:55 PM
There is a very long, very informative thread about this on this bb. Seach on "Sundowner" and you'll get all the information you'll ever need on the topic.

spotmenow
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately, since the warranty is up, I'm afraid you may be out of luck UNLESS you want to be the one to get the class-action lawsuit going. Our trailer was still under warranty and my husband called the company and started talking about a lawsuit and we got a brand-new floor because it is a design flaw...I know how upset you must be after spending all that $$$.

deltawave
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
And I also didn't mean to come off as grumpy. Sorry. :)

I don't see where this is even remotely an issue that would warrant a complaint against Sundowner. Eleven years is a LONG TIME for a rolling chunk of metal to sit around and not develop some corrosion.

Of course they wouldn't give you anything in trade-in value--a trailer with a ruined floor has virtually no value. Just try selling one like that. :) But that doesn't mean you have to pay their price to fix the floor. ;)

AKB
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
In our area, Sundowner has been very good about replacing the floors at no cost. As long as the trailer is still under the 8 year warranty, they take care of it without a problem. I wonder why your routine trailer servicing didn't pick up a problem sooner. Our trailer repair shop told us about the problem, and then monitored our trailers for several years before they determined that it was time to replace the floors. My trailer was just starting to show damage to the floor, but because the 8 year warranty was almost up, they went ahead and replaced the floor.