PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on brining an ex-advanced horse back to jumping

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
Okay... So I recently bought a 16yo ex-advanced horse. She is in AMAZING:D condition and we have had her properly vetted and she is plenty sound to event up to a *. But she has been doing 2nd level dressage for a year or so and hasn't been eventing much because the owner switched to pure dressage. I have been jumping her just over small 2ft9 fences and she has no issues. She respects the fences and is quite a babysitter. But I just wanted some more advice on the best way to bring her back to jumping training level stuff. All advice is appreciated. Also, if you have any tips or tricks on keeping an older horse in good condition let me know! :yes:

JER
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
'brining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brining)' -- def. brining is a process similar to marination in which meat is soaked in a salt solution (the brine) before cooking

Given that your horse (1) has gone Advanced and (2) is 16 years-old, you might want to brine her for a few hours longer than called for in the standard recipe.

:D

clivers
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
'brining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brining)' -- def. brining is a process similar to marination in which meat is soaked in a salt solution (the brine) before cooking

Given that your horse (1) has gone Advanced and (2) is 16 years-old, you might want to brine her for a few hours longer than called for in the standard recipe.

:D

Thank you for that! LMAO!!!

TXnGA
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
Good on you- today's eventers last longer than they did 30 years ago.

I was in the same position as you this spring. i was bringing back my intermediate horse (we had run intermediate together back in 03) and he had had a rest in between 04 and 09 while I got my career underway, so now that it is in place, he is back in action.

He is 18 now, and we are gearing up for intermediate in the spring. Keep in mind he hadn't done anything in 4 years, so first thing was first was getting him healthy- weight and deworming (power pak)!!! But your a few steps ahead.

I did a lot of trot set work getting the fitness up and a lot of long and low. As for the jumping, especially with an older horse, I did a lot of little stuff, nothing higher than maybe 3 feet every other day. A lot of trot poles and x's and small verticles. i would even throw a few jumps in while I was schooling on the flat. I did this for many many months (but he was off for 4 years doing absolutely nothing except a pretty pastuer ornament). He started jumping bigger after 5 months and he is back showing prelim now. I still don't jump him any higher than 3 feet at home, only when I have a jump lesson every 2 weeks do we jump height. I mostly stick to gymanstics, and small fences to save his legs. My theory is: you don't have to jump them max out every time you school- doing that is just something for the rider's own peace of mind.

It depends on what your feeling, if she has only been off from jumping for a year, you shouldn't have too much to worry about. And there was no injury involved in the reason she didn't jump.Make sure she is fit enough to do what your asking because when a horse is tired, that is when you start having a lot of leg injuries.

As for maintainence of an older horse, my horse gets chiro'd, cosequine, injected with legen and adequine. My horse is a hard keeper so he gets 3 meals a day and as much hay as he can eat. But it depends on the horse for maintainence and physically what he/ she needs.

But your vet is the best person to ask about your horse specifically. There are a ton of products on the market and I bet if you asked every horse person you knew, they would probably say something different on what a horse needs for feed/ maintainence/ supplements/ etc.

Good luck- so exciting.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Oct. 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks TXnGA! Yah, she gets her hocks done and gets a monthly shot of adequine. That's what I have been doing lots of little stuff. I'm glad to hear your story it's very inspiring. :yes:

Flipper
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:39 AM
TxnGa~ How often are you giving Adequan, Legend, & Chiro. treatments? Just curious... my horse has been recovering from a lameness for the past 4 months, & the vet has me giving adequan bi-weekly, & legend once a month. Someday, we'll taper off the adequan to less frequent (it's getting a bit costly!), but I'm just interested to see what works for other horses.

Horsegal984
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:52 PM
Adequan is generally started as a series of 2x a week for about a month or two(depending on the reason/severity of injury) to once a week, and then tapering back to once a month. Once a month is the 'standard' but it does depend a lot on the individual. Often if it is being used along with Legend they will be given two weeks apart, i.e. Legend on the 1st and Adequan on the 15th of the month.