PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere to get inexpensive or used stall doors?

buschkn
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have 17 metal mesh stall doors that my ex and I removed from an old barn that was being torn down. These are very solid and nice doors, and my intention was to paint them to match my new stalls and use them.

However, I prefer the ones that have a cut out for the horses to look out. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll probably just use what I have but surely there must be other nice barns being torn down or deserted? Ideas?

I also thought about seeing if someone could cut out a yoke on the ones I have but not sure how feasible that is.

dmalbone
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
I would think finding someone to cut them may be cheaper than buying new ones. I don't know if they have them but I know Country Manufacturing is on the cheaper new side.

FoxChaser
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:26 PM
Check out the photos on my COMH page in my sig. line. We used a welder out of Nicholasville, KY for our doors. He is really, really good! If he couldn't do yokes, then maybe he could just make your doors for you. Mine have drop-in panels in case you want to keep a horse from poking his head out for whatever reason. The place in N'ville is Tom's Pro-Weld & CEP. PM me if you'd like the number :)

cllane1
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
You could also try bartering them to someone who sells/has the style doors you'd prefer.

LAZ
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
If they are steel & you can get them up this way I bet my dad could do it for you at minimal cost (my mom would be grateful). ;) He made stall doors & stall windows for me--he's retired, has a fully equipped metal fabricating shop in the garage & is bored. He's used to working on race cars & specialty stuff, so it needs to be clean.

chai
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think your idea about checking with a welder is a good one. I had a pitchfork that I had for ten years that I loved. When a tine broke, it seemed wasteful to go out and buy another one, so I found a welder who charged me $10 to weld the tine back on...good as new.

So if you really like the doors you have, it would be well worth checking to see if someone can retrofit them to give you the opening. Just make it very clear that there can be no sharp edges. Good luck.

shakeytails
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'd offer DH's services, but I think cutting yokes is out of his area of expertise. For fabrication, try Modern Welding in E-town, though they might be a bit pricey. Modern is where we get all of our steel for stall bars and such- really decent people to deal with. There's also a couple of smaller fabrication places (one in Hodgenville) that might be able to cut out the yokes. When DH gets home I'll ask him where he recommends.

buschkn
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks ST. I think I may just paint the doors I have and if I want them to be able to look out just put up stall guards. Then I can close them all in at night, and if they're getting into stuff I can close the door. Probably be easier and cheaper. When I win the Powerball I will buy the doors I really want. But these are pretty nice to start with, even without the yoke.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. :)