PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke ground on our new barn!

BoysNightOut
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
Just really excited, so I had to share. My boyfriend and I bought a small, old house on 8.5 acres this past winter. We had made plans to build a small 24' x 32' 2-stall barn for my horse and another horse we plan to get.

Well...the shell is finally starting to go up! It finally is starting to look like something, lol. I really can't wait until we can bring my Vinnie home next spring! My boyfriend and his friend have been working hard on it, and it's finally coming along.

I'm just so excited I had to share with CoTH! :)

Pictures:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs250.snc1/9725_516787801850_90900349_30613007_6908617_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs250.snc1/9725_516787831790_90900349_30613013_7529891_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs250.snc1/9725_516838744760_90900349_30614532_4112699_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs270.snc1/9725_516838764720_90900349_30614536_6702693_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs250.snc1/9725_516838779690_90900349_30614539_7040033_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs250.snc1/9725_516838774700_90900349_30614538_2425_n.jpg

RainyDayRide
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
How exciting to see it begin to take shape - and in a lovely setting.

Nice to see the dogs helping in the last photo.

MistyBlue
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:55 PM
How exciting!!!!
Love your bf's work crew! :winkgrin:

ayrabz
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
ENVY you for the ground up build! I'm sharing your excitement, as my first one too, has just been completed, but it was in an existing outbuilding, and therefore, has its adjustments! But I DO feel your excitement in finally (!) having and building your very own!

(I agree, your BF's work crew is sooo cute!) have a ball, looks like you have a very beautiful spot, and a nice barn going up!

ThatScaryChick
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
Congrats! I can't wait to see the finished product.

BoysNightOut
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks!! Our dogs have been more problems that helpful (constantly getting their football stuck in the footers!), lol, but they are loving being outside all day while the barn gets worked on. :)

Will continue taking pictures as it comes along! :)

Huntertwo
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:35 PM
Congrats!! Sounds like a perfect set up. 8.5 acres, a small house and a nice new barn.. :) Your boyfriend sounds like a real gem too! :yes:

Bluey
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
Pretty place, deserves a neat barn.:)

Looks like all of you, two and four legged, are having a grand time building your barn.:cool:

BoysNightOut
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
Congrats!! Sounds like a perfect set up. 8.5 acres, a small house and a nice new barn.. :) Your boyfriend sounds like a real gem too! :yes:

Haha yeah...he's definitely a keeper. :) We met when we both worked full time on a horse farm; he was the Farm Operations Manager, I was the Barn manager. He's always at least liked horses, but he never really wanted much to do with riding until we bought this place....now he wants to go trail riding with me! My 17 y/o TB Vinnie had to be semi-retired this fall (knee issues came back), so I plan on getting a younger event prospect & he will have a new trail buddy w/ Vinnie, lol.

:)

MistyBlue
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:49 AM
Oh you lucky lady! He can run a farm, build a barn AND wants to ride???? :winkgrin:

cowgirljenn
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:55 AM
Congrats. We broke ground for ours yesterday, too. So far, we have put in all the holes for the upright supports and have over half the supports into the ground. Going to go out and finish putting those in after a few more minutes of a break.

I am WORN OUT. But it is a good and much needed distraction for me right now!

BoysNightOut
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:42 PM
Oh you lucky lady! He can run a farm, build a barn AND wants to ride???? :winkgrin:

Haha, yeah! When I first met him, his way of "flirting" was coming to the barn I worked at and offering to help clean stalls. Lol, I knew then he was a keeper!

cowgirljen, congrats on your barn as well! :) How big is yours going to be?

cowgirljenn
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:49 AM
cowgirljen, congrats on your barn as well! :) How big is yours going to be?

Ours is 36 x 48 - 7 stalls, 12 foot barn aisle, and a tack/feed room.

We built a very similar barn a little under a year ago after Hurricane Ike knocked down our old one. Then my husband got a new job and we moved. I'm hoping this is the last one we build for a while. :) All uprights are in, some of them are cemented in, and then it rained and rained so work will be postponed until it dries up a bit. I feel bad for my poor horses who have no place dry to go until the barn is done!

SOTB
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:41 AM
How exciting!

AnotherRound
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

And he's cute, too.

klr
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
Why didnt you prepare the building site BEFORE building--ie drainage for stalls/lifted up off damp ground ect--isnt it about impossible to do this with the barn constructed over the un-prepped floor?

We're currently engineering the building site for our future barn so it can settle over the winter--but its coldcoldcold and wet here--maybe you live in a dry place?
klr

tiggger
Oct. 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
I think we used the same barn plans because I have the same pictures as you!
http://gallery.impulz.net/barn

BoysNightOut
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
Why didnt you prepare the building site BEFORE building--ie drainage for stalls/lifted up off damp ground ect--isnt it about impossible to do this with the barn constructed over the un-prepped floor?

We're currently engineering the building site for our future barn so it can settle over the winter--but its coldcoldcold and wet here--maybe you live in a dry place?
klr

It has not been very rainy here this fall, and the site is on the top of our hill, and hardly gets really wet...it all drains down.

Our fill is coming next week for the floor. My boyfriend has been planning everything out all summer, and since he's pretty experienced in this type of thing...I trust his judgment. He has everything mapped out as far as drainage for the stalls, etc. Between himself & his friend, they both know what they are doing. ;)

Great pictures tigger! What a beautiful barn! Can I ask you how long it took you guys to build it?

I have this entire week off of work...just came in from outside, helping him work on the barn. I'm pretty tired, but the thought of Vinnie being home makes it all worth while! :)

cowgirljenn
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
Our fill is coming next week for the floor. My boyfriend has been planning everything out all summer, and since he's pretty experienced in this type of thing...I trust his judgment. He has everything mapped out as far as drainage for the stalls, etc. Between himself & his friend, they both know what they are doing. ;)

I'll add that we're doing things the same way - AND this is how we did them for the barn we built last fall/winter, and it seemed to work well. Fortunately, there's more than one way to accomplish most things! ;)

BoysNightOut
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'll add that we're doing things the same way - AND this is how we did them for the barn we built last fall/winter, and it seemed to work well. Fortunately, there's more than one way to accomplish most things! ;)

Glad we aren't the only ones doing it this way..this is our first barn we're building. We spent months reading up, learning. :)

You'll have to post pictures! I'm so sorry about the Hurricane...that must have been horrible! At least your horses will have some new digs to enjoy once you guys are finished! Let us know how the barn building goes! :)

1ofEach
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Congrats on the barn Boysnightout! We are breaking ground on our barn hopefully at the end of this week. Unfortunately, my husband hasn't had time to build it so we are paying to have it built. There goes all our wedding money. Ours will be 2 stalls plus room for a steer and pigs in a 24x40 with a loft.

scpezold
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:30 AM
Congratulations BNO!

I am so jelous! I probably could have had mine built months ago but have been to chicken to commit as I am scared I will make a decision i will regret. Threads like these get me motivated to get my butt in gear :lol: So excited for both you and Vinnie and you are so fortunate to have a BF with such knowledge! Agree again the barn crew are quite adorable. Mine are to busy eating the manure to get anything done. Blech:dead: Please keep the pictures coming for everyones sake if not mine ;)

BoysNightOut
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks! :)

I took more pictures today....my BF and his dad started on the roof, as well as more beams around the frame. Unfortunately, my laptop has a nasty virus. I'll add more pictures tonight, as I need to install my camera software on my work laptop I have.

scpezold, I was the same way! Lol, we should have started this barn back in the beginning of summer, haha. I kept changing my mind on what I wanted. Once the leaves started to turn, I decided to get myself in gear and just start already, lol.

More pics to come! :)

scpezold
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
scpezold, I was the same way! Lol, we should have started this barn back in the beginning of summer, haha. I kept changing my mind on what I wanted. Once the leaves started to turn, I decided to get myself in gear and just start already, lol.

Ha!! So glad to know I am not the only one. I did email my wish list to the architect today. He is only helping me with the consulting (looking at aerial view of property and advising me on where best to put barn to maximize breeze and space, etc). I so wish I could just hand him all my notes, pictures, ideas etc and say "please handle this for me". Unfortunately that is not in the budget so I continue to stress.:lol: