PDA

View Full Version : Eventing barn in Hampstead, MD

Sammy1980
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hello! I'm posting for a friend of mine who has Legacy Stables in Hampstead, MD. Her and her husband bought the old Weave a Dream farm. They have held a few small CTs this year, some clinics, and have finally gotten to open the XC course again and are holding a small pipe opener in 2 weeks. Just wanted to put the word out there to people that they are open for business. I've been to a few of their shows and the biggest thing I hear is that people still just don't know they're there or running again. She's also a trainer and gives lessons, has horses to lease etc. They're mostly focused on dressage, but she does teach jumping too, and does boarding as well. She had Steuart Pitttman in for a clinic and was working with Bonnie Mosser on planning something in the spring for next year--not sure where they are, scheduling-wise, on that one. She just traveled up to my area (Cecil County) last weekend to work with me and my mare on travers/halfpass to work on our canter departs, and we got to talking, so I figured I'd join and post here to let people know the farm is still around, still doing events, and still available to school and show.

retreadeventer
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:15 PM
That is wonderful! We LUFF that course up there!
I think a good way to get the word out would be to contact Mythical84 (I can't remember the number, it's Mythical anyway) as she is a PR person, she's involved with stuff at Waredaca, and has done some publicity for Steuart, too. She has just started a pr business and helps people do the very thing you are talking about.
Just ask her to keep the website up to date and readable and make sure to get calendar items up as soon as they are confirmed. WOULD LOVE to be in the loop on the Bonnie clinic, too!

Sammy1980
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks! I'll pm Mythical84. I know they're also planning a Winter Long John dressage series themed with "move up a level". Kind of like a fix a test clinic, but more where you ride a dressage test a level up from where you've been showing, no matter how much of a trainwreck it is :winkgrin: and the judge gives you feedback on how to train/ride to get to that next level. She's still working out dates with the judge for availability.

I think the plan was, in the spring, to schedule a pipe opener early (mid April), let everyone critique the course and tune their horses up, do the Bonnie Mosser 2 day clinic, and then a HT. It all depends on raising a volunteer base, though. No volunteers, no shows :(.

They're having an end of season pipe opener on Nov 8th. Helps if I put contact info, doesn't it ?! Website is www.legacystable.com. She has some really exciting plans for the place-I really think it's going to be hopping next year.

dkcbr
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
I know they're also planning a Winter Long John dressage series themed with "move up a level". Kind of like a fix a test clinic, but more where you ride a dressage test a level up from where you've been showing

:D That sounds like a total blast!!

~off to check the web site... :)

kcrubin
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm so glad to hear they're doing competitions again! I'll put them on my list of places to go!

retreadeventer
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:04 AM
Oh forgot to add that I had a question - who is doing the courses now? I know that Michelle did a fantastic job and that in part was one of the reasons it was very successful up there. You could always count on the questions being fair at all levels. As far as volunteers, you do what you can with what you have, like most organizers, I guess -- I love the way Jane does it at Olde Hope, she needs hardly any jump judges for her unrecognized events, as she uses a tower and can see the whole field and most of the jumps from the tower. A system like that might work there because of the fields and fences layout, all except for that lower training level loop in the back field I guess. Something to look into!

Sammy1980
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
Leeandra had Dave Wisner from Shawan Downs come out and help her put together the course and put the jumps in place. Angela Boyton helped with the design too--she's the show secretary for Legacy @ WAD. They didn't change it much from what Michele had, just added a couple slight downhill questions which will probably be moved to flat questions for the first HT next spring. They're not using everything (that's impossible! Dave and Michele had so much stuff!) but put together a nice short course that's very friendly and fair for all levels. Very few things at max height, 4 nice combos for Training and an optional combo for Novice. For the purposes of the pipe opener and schooling, she put several of the elements close to one another so people could choose their fence and jump up or down a level.

You're right about the locations of the judges.....when I visited on Sunday we walked the course and most of it is set up so that 1 judge can officiate several fences.

Sammy1980
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
BTW I LOVE Jane's course. That one is SO much fun. Especially the choo-choo train jump. VERY original and fun! The best part is the back field with the older jumps alot of people don't know about for schooling--I called it the "murder field" where several of the jumps were guillotines, saws, a hangman noose etc. It's been a couple years since I've schooled there, so my memory is fuzzy, but that was definitely a fun place. The only problem is the drive :-( Not so bad for me, personally, as I'm already close to the eastern shore, but it can be a real haul if you're coming from west of baltimore.