PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to build a indoor ring?

EventerOP
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:17 PM
Im in the process of pricing out how much it costs to build a indoor riding ring. Nothing huge, but a decent size (enough to jump around in) I was thinking anywhere from 80 x 150 to a 100 x 180.
Does anyone know how much that could be around? I know that there are many variables but does anyone have any experience or any ideas?

Also, for those of you who have indoors do you have steel/metal ones?
I have seen the big white ones (cover all one's) Does anyone know if they are more or less expensive? Or do you have any experiences with them?

I live in New England if that would help at all

Any info would be great! Thanks!

AKB
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:22 PM
A friend of ours has a Coverall type arena. He said that it works ok, but if he had it to do over again, he would build a traditional indoor. His arena gets noisy in the wind, and doesn't seem quite stable in strong winds.

shakeytails
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
60x 120'- about $40,000 materials only, figure at least 80k for a bare-bones model erected, probably over 100k in the northeast.

Any wider that 60' gets really expensive in a hurry, and may have to be steel construction ($$$$$$$). The engineer for the truss manufacturer that we always deal with doesn't think that wood is a good choice for over 60' of clear span, though they'll build them wider if asked.

horsetales
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:01 PM
If you're having someone construct it for you and not the materials you will likely be in the 60-100K range depending height, amount of grading and electric. We priced the coverall and it would have cost us more up front. We also decided that it had a limited lifespan as it is fabric and if we factored in replacement at some point it was a whole lot more

Guilherme
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:16 PM
The money in a clear span structure is in the width. The prices given are probably ballpark.

Make up a spec sheet and get some contractors to bid the job. That will give you the best information.

G.

mvp
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:34 AM
IIRC, wooden trusses come pre-fab up to 80' across. That makes your actual ring a tad more narrow.

Up in the sticks of NY State, the standard size was about 80' (or few feet less) by 120' to 160.'

I don't think Coveralls will go wider, and are often more narrow for the same money. Bummer.

If you can afford steel, you can go wider. If you are limited to wood, try to find a reliable builder whose quote will let you add to the length. Two 20 meter circles all damned winter sux.

But definitely get the grading, base and footing done right. It's and expensive, disappointing PITA to have this basic, should-have-been-done-right-initially feature of your expensive ring blow up.

EventerOP
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone

Huntertwo
Oct. 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
My DH discussed this while in the process of selling our home and looking for a horse land.

www.pioneerpolebuildings.com (http://www.pioneerpolebuildings.com)

We figured, (being in New England also) why not just put up a small indoor and forgo an outdoor arena.

These are not huge but the prices include just about everything. Material, labor, sales tax and delivery.

sid
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:07 PM
In 1993, when contractors were begging for work, the bid I got from Morton for a stand-alone indoor that measures about 72x132 x17H was about $88,000. The trusses are pre-fabbed and the building itself is metal

That price did not include grading, footing or electric (lighting).

I wound up coughing up the $$ to do the indoor with a 12 stall barn attached.

I must say has really stood the test of time.

In this economy, the prices may be better than you think compared to a few years ago.

buschkn
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
FIND SOME MENNONITES! :)

I had a group of Mennonites build my indoor which is 80 x 120, with an attached enclosed 36 x 150 shed row barn for stalls and a 12 x 24 area off the front for an apt/office. It is all wood, and is beautifully built. It took them only 13, yup THIRTEEN, days to complete it. It was absolutely amazing. My cost for the materials and labor was $105K. I am gradually finishing out the rest of it as I can, on my own. I think the indoor alone would have been $60K-ish or something like that. That did not include grading etc, just the building itself.

Shop around. I looked around a lot and lucked into this builder. Steel was more expensive, as was Coverall and Coverall-like structures, when I looked. I am in KY, so it is less expensive here than in the NE, but with fewer people building at all, you should be able to get a good deal.

Sonesta
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:50 PM
Too bad you are not in Texas. The company that did our small covered arena is offering a special right now for a 70 x 200 for $59,000. Roof only, with 18' supports, but here we don't need the snow weight capacity that you do where you are.

Wish I had the extra bucks to spare right now. This is just an amazing price.

gallupgirl
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=buschkn;4457540]FIND SOME MENNONITES! :)

I second buschkn-----we did a 60 x 120 covered arena in OK three years ago for $32K. It was done in four days. We spent another $2K on sand and spread it ourselves and took an extra hour and $60 to put up a basic railing.

Sparky
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:54 AM
Just another thing to think about: if you are going to be jumping, I would recommend at least a 17' height. You could get away with 16', but anything less will really feel claustrophobic!
We built a Morton barn in '96, with 24 stalls and a 72 x 200 x 17 indoor and it still looks like new today--money well spent.

sid
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ditto on the 17' height. One of my Shire/TB babies grew to 18.3 and boy am I glad I had made that decision...:lol:.

EventerOP
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the advice, the 17' height would be a must!

Gloria
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=buschkn;4457540]FIND SOME MENNONITES! :)

I second buschkn-----we did a 60 x 120 covered arena in OK three years ago for $32K. It was done in four days. We spent another $2K on sand and spread it ourselves and took an extra hour and $60 to put up a basic railing.

Holy smoke gallupgirl! Do you have contact?

EventerOP
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks