PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the name calling on COTH?

MAC DEUCE
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:07 PM
wow, kind of a d*ck thing to say, anonymous stranger.

Exactly. This is why I think MAC DEUCE is a delusional troll.

Is MacDeuce possibly related to the troll who a while ago posted about watching JB grind Cooper down on XC phase? I can't remember the specifics, I only remember the troll saying she had personally watched JB running her exhausted horse during XC earlier this year, an unfounded accusation, of course.

Isn't there a code of conduct that we agreed to when we joined this blog group? Is this behavior appropriate? Isn't COTH supposed to be a resource for constructive discussion and information, or is it a place for name calling and inappropriate statements?

Sounds like things that elementary school kids would say. Obviously I was given the wrong impression about what this blog site was about because there is alot more of this kind of "stuff" out there.

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:09 PM
That's what you get for stepping in the hornet's nest of rabid fans who believe that people they hold up can do no wrong.

JER
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
Toughen up, cupcake.

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
*snorts*

gully's pilot
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:11 PM
LexInVA--your signature line is the best ever.

altjaeger
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't think she is being too sensitive. When someone starts calling you names on a forum, the natural response would be to start issuing some serious insults right back. That's when everything starts to go downhill. That's why moderators usually step in and nip things in the bud.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
That's what you get for stepping in the hornet's nest of rabid fans who believe that people they hold up can do no wrong.

Well worded.

retreadeventer
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:41 PM
I dislike IMMENSELY the way that some people do not READ posts for the meaning and instead get stuck on whatever they can find to trip someone up on some esoteric fact, or find fault with the messenger when the message they happen to deliver, which is opinion, goes against the tidal wave of popularity.
I dislike how some posters gang up on newbies and those who take a standback look and say something, which is their opinion, and to which they are entitled, just like the self styled gurus and fashionistas who think they are smarter than everyone else here.
You know, sometimes my grammar sucks, and I try to spell, but the keyboard gets in the way. I kneejerk post, and sometimes I am called out on my hasty logic. But I have been on the receiving end of the very unfair and steamroll-like name calling and believe very strongly that there are some smarta$$ posters on this forum who are convinced they A) write epistles from on high, B) have the right to harass ANYBODY they want with impunity, and C) think their manure pile doesn't have an odor like everyone else's.
This is a place for opinion. Not for name calling and personal attacks. I don't like characterization as it has no place here or anywhere - it's especially unfair in print.
And that is MY opinion! Stink as it may!

Divine Comedy
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
Look, Mac, here's the thing.

Questions like yours are often asked on the forums. And while they usually spawn great debate, they don't usually spawn name calling.

However, when the poster who poses the original question has no or very little history of posting on the message board, the more established posters assume that it's a random person who is just trying to stir up trouble, either just for the hell of it, or because they maybe have a personal vendetta against the person they posed the question about. A person who does this is commonly called a troll, and their sole purpose is generally to just cause trouble and drama. We try not to respond to these people.

Since you have very little history of posting on this board, and your first real conversation seems (note I say seems as this is the way it came off, regardless of how you meant it) to accuse Jennie Brannigan of ignoring signs that may have prevented Cooper's injury, many people assumed that you were just interested in causing trouble. Hence, the troll name calling.

Just to clarify, since you seem new to the board. I agree, it's not right, but it can be very difficult for us to differentiate between a troll and a newbie with a legitimate question.

deltawave
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
It's a bulletin board, not a blog site. Sorry, pet peeve, call me an a-hole. :lol:

Obviously I missed the latest kerfuffle. Lucky me. I shan't go looking, it's tiresome and will never change the fact that this (being an old and venerable community) is my favorite BB by far. I know the locals. They are imperfect. Sometimes decidedly so. :D I like it that way, and this glass-house dweller is fresh out of stones to throw anyhow. ;)

dilligaff2
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:46 PM
What's wrong Mac?

Billy Goat got your Gruff?

Ajierene
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ah, yes, I remember fondly when I first started posting here. I questioned Laine Ashker's judgment at the time.

I was called a troll, told I did not know what I was talking about, etc. I also caused a kerfuffle about a certain item of apparel that shall not be named lest this thread get side-tracked.

I think, since then people have at least realized that whether they agree or not, my opinion is my opinion and I am not a troll...

No, I don't think it is right for every new person to be called a troll. When I see something that does not look right, I simply do not respond. Certain other people can do the same thing. Also, some people do need to learn to take a step back from their idols, as Lex mentioned. Everyone can make mistakes, not even Jim Wofford is perfect.

subk
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:20 PM
Everyone can make mistakes, not even Jim Wofford is perfect.
Ah hell, lightening is gonna strike now...

A good suggestion for anyone's future reference might be to avoid the appearance of impugning someone's judgement without strong supporting evidence while their horse is still in critical care at New Bolton. That tends to bring out the grumpy bears...can't imagine why...

shawneeAcres
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:43 PM
I dislike IMMENSELY the way that some people do not READ posts for the meaning and instead get stuck on whatever they can find to trip someone up on some esoteric fact, or find fault with the messenger when the message they happen to deliver, which is opinion, goes against the tidal wave of popularity.
I dislike how some posters gang up on newbies and those who take a standback look and say something, which is their opinion, and to which they are entitled, just like the self styled gurus and fashionistas who think they are smarter than everyone else here.
You know, sometimes my grammar sucks, and I try to spell, but the keyboard gets in the way. I kneejerk post, and sometimes I am called out on my hasty logic. But I have been on the receiving end of the very unfair and steamroll-like name calling and believe very strongly that there are some smarta$$ posters on this forum who are convinced they A) write epistles from on high, B) have the right to harass ANYBODY they want with impunity, and C) think their manure pile doesn't have an odor like everyone else's.
This is a place for opinion. Not for name calling and personal attacks. I don't like characterization as it has no place here or anywhere - it's especially unfair in print.
And that is MY opinion! Stink as it may!

I agree totally with this post, I too sometimes post a reply in haste, particularly when I am being harrassed over something false or insignificant. There are far too many people on this board that think that it is their job to put down, or make assumptions that are totally incorrect. I have REALLY stepped back from many posts here lately after a couple of unreasonable people began their "antics" (particularly on the H/J forum as I do "cross over" into both worlds!)

MAC DEUCE
Oct. 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
Ah hell, lightening is gonna strike now...

A good suggestion for anyone's future reference might be to avoid the appearance of impugning someone's judgement without strong supporting evidence while their horse is still in critical care at New Bolton. That tends to bring out the grumpy bears...can't imagine why...

SUBK, there is no amount of justification for those who misinterpret a post or who make incorrect assumptions about a post to behave in this manner. And the newbie, troll or whatever thing most certainly resembles grade school antics.

Sorry, I don't accept your reason to justify your behavior in this matter.

GotSpots
Oct. 23, 2009, 04:42 PM
Good grief. Pot - meet kettle.

MAC, your post originally inaccurately stated that Cooper suffered a "demise on Sunday" and queried "If only they had verbal input on their own welfare for when us humans mis-judge the signs. How unfortunate for a wonderful horse." Not only was it an incorrect statement of the facts to use the word "demise", but your statement also assumed that "us humans" "misjudge[d]" the signs of Cooper's welfare, thus implying that you believed that Jennie and her team competed the horse on either Saturday or Sunday without proper regard for his welfare.

That's a serious charge (not to mention poor grammar). I don't have a stick in this fight, but honestly, I thought subk's reaction was about right. I read your post and my first thought was that it was a return of someone who had an axe to grind against Jennie about a year ago. Didn't read like a legitimate question - it read like pot-stirring - as does this thread. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but it was a fair reading of the original post.

Most folks on here have been here a long time, and alot of us know one another off line as well. It's a pretty good group, but for the occasional hysteria which can infect just about any community, offline or on, and subk has been here for awhile and is someone I, at least, consistently think offers smart and insightful views from someone who has competed at both the upper levels and started out youngsters. Not that it's worth much, but I'd take a breath and take a good look around before you start accusing folks of being bad actors.

LAZ
Oct. 23, 2009, 04:47 PM

MAC, your post originally inaccurately stated that Cooper suffered a "demise on Sunday" and queried "If only they had verbal input on their own welfare for when us humans mis-judge the signs. How unfortunate for a wonderful horse." Not only was it an incorrect statement of the facts to use the word "demise", but your statement also assumed that "us humans" "misjudge[d]" the signs of Cooper's welfare, thus implying that you believed that Jennie and her team competed the horse on either Saturday or Sunday without proper regard for his welfare.

That's a serious charge (not to mention poor grammar). I don't have a stick in this fight, but honestly, I thought subk's reaction was about right. I read your post and my first thought was that it was a return of someone who had an axe to grind against Jennie about a year ago. Didn't read like a legitimate question - it read like pot-stirring - as does this thread. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but it was a fair reading of the original post.

Most folks on here have been here a long time, and alot of us know one another off line as well. It's a pretty good group, but for the occasional hysteria which can infect just about any community, offline or on, and subk has been here for awhile and is someone I, at least, consistently think offers smart and insightful views from someone who has competed at both the upper levels and started out youngsters. Not that it's worth much, but I'd take a breath and take a good look around before you start accusing folks of being bad actors.

Too funny--this is exactly what I thought when I saw this post!

Ajierene
Oct. 23, 2009, 05:07 PM

As a point:

Main Entry: 2; demise
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English dimise, from Anglo-French demise, feminine of demis, past participle of demettre to dismiss, from Latin demittere to send down, from de- + mittere to send
Date: 15th century

1 : the conveyance of an estate
2 : transfer of the sovereignty to a successor
3 a : death b : a cessation of existence or activity c : a loss of position or status

In other words, Cooper's demise would have been the ending of his ability to continue in the event. This would fall under definition 3a. Definition 3b also fits, as his place in the standings was ended.

I also ran Mac Deuce's initial post in the other thread through Word's spelling and grammar check. It found as many grammar mistakes in that post as it did in the post above, so I am unsure where the grammar issues are in Mac Deuce's post.

While subk can and does provide thoughtful posts, that does not mean that Mac Deuce's point is invalid or in any way less important or thoughtful than subk's posts.

foxhavenfarm
Oct. 23, 2009, 07:33 PM
It's a bulletin board, not a blog site. Sorry, pet peeve, call me an a-hole. :lol:

Obviously I missed the latest kerfuffle. Lucky me. I shan't go looking, it's tiresome and will never change the fact that this (being an old and venerable community) is my favorite BB by far. I know the locals. They are imperfect. Sometimes decidedly so. :D I like it that way, and this glass-house dweller is fresh out of stones to throw anyhow. ;)

Nicely stated, DW! :yes:

lstevenson
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry, but if one smells like a troll and acts like a troll, one is probably going to be called a troll. :winkgrin:

If you want to change your image, change your behavior. Maybe don't go falsely accusing people of things when you don't know the facts??

Mach Two
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:38 PM
Perhaps is it one of the persons suffering from early winter shack-nasties from the dressage forum?

No offense to the nice folks on the dressage forum though:D

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:40 PM
Nice people on the Dressage forum? That's Bizarro world stuff right there man. Blows your mind.

ACMEeventing
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hey . . . I know several nice DQ's! Oh, wait . . . it's the beer talking.

Tamara in TN
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=lstevenson;4456532]Sorry, but if one smells like a troll and acts like a troll, one is probably going to be called a troll. :winkgrin:

but it's so much more than trolls:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

see anyone there who looks familiar ???;)

Bliss Ninny doesn't understand why people just can't get along. While it is entirely unintentional, Bliss Ninny's utterly vacuous comments can drive the more pugnacious Warriors into a frenzy of aggression. Often in the heat of battle Bliss Ninny will discuss her cat.

or

Artful Dodger is a nimble and elusive Warrior. When strongly attacked he changes the subject with a diversionary counterattack. For example, if in a moment of pique his opponent refers to him to him as a "sonofabitch", Artful Dodger will not only demand a public apology for the insult to his own mother, but will castigate his opponent on behalf all mothers everywhere. Knowing full well that staying on topic works to his disadvantage, Artful Dodger will not allow himself to be pinned down.

or perhaps:

Whether through virtue, contributions, force of personality or sheer longevity certain forum participants will rise to form an aristocracy. While it is generally taboo to openly acknowledge the class distinctions, the hierarchy is well understood by all. While for the most part the Royals rule with magnanimity, they will not tolerate impertinence from the hoi polloi. It is their habit to remain aloof from petty squabbles among their subjects, but when full-scale war breaks out their intervention can be decisive.

best

twotrudoc
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:05 PM
I thought the dressage forum had chilled out in the past few years?

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
Medicinal Marijuana use amongst the DQ population has gone up significantly resulting in less outbursts, hissyfits, temper tantrums, and nervous breakdowns.

ACMEeventing
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe they were at a stock-tie tying convention.

ACMEeventing
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:10 PM
Or maybe it was a "stock-tie tying while on medicinal marijuana" convention. Heard there was a lot of popcorn sold that weekend.

twotrudoc
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:18 PM
Or maybe it was a "stock-tie tying while on medicinal marijuana" convention. Heard there was a lot of popcorn sold that weekend.

Thank you for helping me snort my yummy halibut instead of eating it. LOL!!!!!

ACMEeventing
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:20 PM
Is your halibut communicating with you? Try looking deeply into its eyes.

twotrudoc
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't been to a Big BK Parelli clinic since '06.

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
Nothing is worse than a fish that won't shut it's mouth.

lstevenson
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:19 PM
but it's so much more than trolls:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

see anyone there who looks familiar ???;)

Ha! Great site!

Maybe we are talking about one of these? http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/crybaby.htm

sunhawk
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:14 AM
Very good entertainment, but not quite as good as the 'puking while riding' thread:lol:

Meredith Clark
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:27 AM
I sorta felt that way when the "Would you do a Novice 3 Day" went horribly wrong :eek:

Mugslinging, name calling, personal attacks. I guess that's why we use screen names and not our own (oh wait.....:lol: )

Where is Gnep anyway?

After a while we all get over it and someone who p!ssed ou off so badly on one thread has your back on another.

LexInVA
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
Sobriety heals all wounds.

riderboy
Oct. 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
I don't think most serious eventers have namby pamby personalities. Strong personalities, strong opinions. But content aside, personal attacks always lose arguments in my mind.

KateWooten
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:09 AM
guess that's why we use screen names and not our own

we do ? I just use this other poor girl's name. Dunno who she is ;)

jn4jenny
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:18 AM
SUBK, there is no amount of justification for those who misinterpret a post or who make incorrect assumptions about a post to behave in this manner. And the newbie, troll or whatever thing most certainly resembles grade school antics.

Sorry, I don't accept your reason to justify your behavior in this matter.

Who are you, the Social Decency and Reading Comprehension Police?

Some people here read quickly. Some people here lack netiquette.

If I shoved hundreds of real-life horse people in a ballroom together and stirred the pot with controversial topics, I bet I'd get the same problems.

If you don't like how people act here, lecturing them on it is not going to achieve your intended effect. Ask yourself if lecturing strangers, many of whom agree with each other and accept each other's conduct, has ever worked for you in real life. Oh, it hasn't? Then don't expect different results online.

If someone really supremely annoys you, use the Ignore function. Or better yet, use your mental ignore function.

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
Methinks MAC DEUCE is outnumbered and outvoted!!!:yes::yes::lol:

Tamara in TN
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ha! Great site!

Maybe we are talking about one of these? http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/crybaby.htm

exactly...it is one of my fav sites since about 1992/3....it is a humor level that escapes most folks and dates back to Arapnet...but just as true today as then;)

look long enough and you'll find ALL your "friends" there:lol:

best

annikak
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oh MY! Did I see a few of us there...fantastic site! Thanks for the AM nods....

retreadeventer
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:14 AM
Who are you, the Social Decency and Reading Comprehension Police?

Some people here read quickly. Some people here lack netiquette.

If I shoved hundreds of real-life horse people in a ballroom together and stirred the pot with controversial topics, I bet I'd get the same problems.

If you don't like how people act here, lecturing them on it is not going to achieve your intended effect. Ask yourself if lecturing strangers, many of whom agree with each other and accept each other's conduct, has ever worked for you in real life. Oh, it hasn't? Then don't expect different results online.

If someone really supremely annoys you, use the Ignore function. Or better yet, use your mental ignore function.

The written word is very different legally and in other ways from the spoken word. Conversation at a party or public function is not the same as published materials. Deeply personal and vicous statements made online don't go away and can't always be ignored.

Certainly one would expect a regular reader and poster to have a thick skin, but is that really the point of these forums? I would rather have lasting friendships and lots of fun reading good thoughtful stuff, learn something every day I open the forum, and get some good ideas. I don't think it says something very good of us eventers here, that some feel as though they are afraid to post because they will be picked on for their thoughts. We need to be more respectful and courteous to one another, and I work on the ways to be better at that every day, and take a lot of time (too much) to make sure my posts are meant the way I mean them to be. I try NOT to say anything personal about someone else, but I will comment on WHAT they say. I don't think you can just say "ignore" the rude personal attacks, and "grow a thick skin". I think that we should not excuse rude behavior. It has an overall, long term dampening effect on free exchange.

Moderator 1
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
If anyone has an issue with a thread or post, the appropriate way to handle it is to alert the moderation staff by either sending us a note in a private message or, preferably, to send an "alert." To send an alert, just click on the exclamation point in a triangle icon in the upper right corner of the post in question--fill in a brief explanation for why you're sending it, and let us have a look.

If there are multiple posts at issue in a given thread, one alert on the thread will do the trick. You can make note that the issues extend beyond that specific post in your message.

We're going to go track down the source of this issue and address it accordingly.

Thanks,
Mod 1