PDA

View Full Version : Who governs the GMO's? How can one file a complaint against theirs?

redears
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:23 AM
I've been googling all day, I was not sure where else to ask. A friend of mine needs to file a complaint against the president of her GMO. Does the USEA govern them? The USEF? It's a serious matter involving harassment and physical threats...among other things, to paying member.

LexInVA
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:40 AM
It depends on the type of behavior and when it occurred. If this is just rowdy meeting behavior, then there isn't anything you can do. If someone has made threats against your friend, you have to go to the police, and then the USEF will get involved if charges are filed and a judgment passed. Their policy is to only get into things once someone has actually been caught and punished. There are some things they will look into for the sake of their own interests but those are cases where you have several people coming forward and saying something saucy like they saw McLain Ward kick a puppy several times for good luck before a 150K grand prix class.

redears
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the input Lex, definitely not what friend wanted to hear! But I'll pass it along.

carolinagirl191
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:36 PM
Why pass it along if "friend" already heard it?:eek:

Oct. 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
What's a "GMO" ???

Gry2Yng
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:52 PM
Why pass it along if "friend" already heard it?:eek:

Really, does it matter?

Janet
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:55 PM
First, the term "GMO" applies to the organizations that make up USDF. Nothing to do with USEA or USEF. But even in that context I have never herd of the USDF "disciplining" a GMO.

If you are talking about USEA Affiliates, the connection is even more tenuous.

According to the USEA Eventing Affiliate Eventing Association Mission Statement, Affiliates must be

An organizational structure chartered as a non-profit corporation, or not-for-profit unincorporated association per state law, whose philosophy and purpose are compatible with those of the USEA. Safe, fun, fair, affordable, with an emphasis on education. A copy of each Affiliate EA articles/by-laws must be on file with the USEA.

and

Membership must be open to everyone and not restricted to a single breed, stable, etc.

But beyond that, the USEA doesn't have much actual "control" over the Affiliates.

However, I am the national USEA Affiliate representative, and serve as liaison with the BoG. If your friend wants to email me (available on my profile) with details, I will look into the situation.