PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for a 5 year old

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
My 5 year old son have decided to ride! He is so excited. I am having a hard time deciding what to get him as far as a saddle. He has been led around on my daughters pony a few times but has never ridden alone. Should I get him a Western saddle? A leadline saddle or just a little close contact? Help?

Blugal
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:42 PM
All I've ever used or seen that has been effective is a Stubben Rex. They are hard to find used as anyone who owns one tends to hang onto it. My parents still have theirs (I'm 28) just in case there are grand-kids...

Outyougo
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:26 PM
We loved our Berney Bros "working Hunter" quite like the Stubben Rex ours came quite promptly and was easy to sell when out grown!

FoxChaser
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'd aim for an English saddle vs. a western since it kind of forces them to learn to balance themselves. We have a Wintec leadline saddle for my 3 year old, but I'm not sure it would fit a 5 year old. Just be happy he is wanting to ride :)

hellerkm
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
All my kids ride English so we stared with English saddles, our first was a Crosby Prix De Nations, very flat and taught the girls to really RIDE, I just bought my younger DD a Beval Junior and she thinks she as died and gone to heaven, compared to the PDN its like a Rolls Royce!!!

dr j
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
We have the WIntec leadline saddle which is a great place to start. We also have a western saddle but some of the smaller western saddles don't seem to be much more stable than an english other than the horn. By far the Pessoa pony short flap has been a wonderful saddle for my DD. I don't see us every parting with it.......

kcrubin
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:16 PM
I'd go with a wintec - I got the size up from the leadline because it's so tiny.
I'd actually sell our's cheaply if you want - it's collecting dust because we're on to a leather bigger saddle now.

eventingismylife
Oct. 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'd go with a wintec - I got the size up from the leadline because it's so tiny.

I would also suggest a wintec all purpose, they are very nice for younger kids who are just learning to ride and get their balance. Or I would go with a nice kids' sized all purpose Passier, they are perfect to get a nice basic balanced position in naturally.

joiedevie99
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:58 PM
The best pony saddles on out there- Ian Miller Pony(made by Collegiate until the mid '90's) and the Pessoa Pony Saddle (the older the better, although I believe they are still made). Made to fit ponies, short enough flaps for the kid to actually learn to use their leg correctly and well balanced. Make sure you get one that still has its D rings so you can put a grab strap on.