PDA

View Full Version : Tamarillo Retired

lionstigersbears
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:01 PM
Just saw that Tamarillo, William Fox-Pitt's great eventer has been retired. From his website:

'Sadly Tam did not make it to Pau. He had a minor occurrence of a previous leg injury and we decided that it was probably a good time to retire him from top competition. He is 17 years old and we were taking him to Pau purely for some fun sadly it was not meant to be.

The 2004 Badminton Winner!!! The 2008 Burghley Winner

William's Olympic team horse in 2004

Runner up at Badminton 2005 and William's team horse for the European Championships where he won team Gold and individual Silver.'

I just read William's autobiography so relived his and Tam's glory days... always thought he seemed like such a neat little horse and it's a shame their Olympics was cut short due to injury. Anyway, sounds like it was for the best and here's hoping Tam has a long and happy retirement. :)

kookicat
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm glad they retired him before something bad happened to him. He's such a character. :)

JER
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:19 PM
Tamarillo ranks high among the most athletic horses I've ever seen.

(He should have been the winner of Badminton twice -- he was runner-up by the scantest of margins, and had the dressage judging been a little more evidence-based, he would have placed first.)

retreadeventer
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:22 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting his owners at Rolex. I hope that they find a good and comfortable spot for him where he cared for like the champ he truly is! I am sure they will.

kookicat
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. :D

nomeolvides
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hope he has a lovely retirement, he really deserves it. What a horse, made 4* look too easy. Was amazing watching him win the mudbath that was Badders in 2004!

Toadie's mom
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:06 PM
Loved this horse too! Any horse even remotely "arab" I love to see eventing.

Event4Life
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
Awww....I'm glad he had the sense to retire him before he got injured.

I'm going to see a WFP demo at Gleneagles (near Edinburgh) next Friday! I'm SO excited!!

yellowbritches
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:47 PM
One of my all time favorite horses to watch. Will miss seeing him go around a lot. He's part of the reason I'm so partial to little bay horses. :yes: He always looked like such fun to ride, and I've always loved his cheeky streak. :lol:

RunForIt
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:58 PM
One of my all time favorite horses to watch. Will miss seeing him go around a lot. He's part of the reason I'm so partial to little bay horses. :yes: He always looked like such fun to ride, and I've always loved his cheeky streak. :lol:

the intensity in his eyes, EVEN when he was being semi-submissive in dressage, has always been what caught my attention (besides how fantastic he ran XC)...is this his "cheekiness"? :D :cool:

yellowbritches
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:00 PM
the intensity in his eyes, EVEN when he was being semi-submissive in dressage, has always been what caught my attention (besides how fantastic he ran XC)...is this his "cheekiness"? :D :cool:
Yeah, pretty much. I've always gotten the impression, especially in his less than submissive moments in dressage, that he was basically giving WFP the finger and saying "I'm gonna do this MY way!" :winkgrin: You gotta love a horse with a sense of humor.

RunForIt
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, pretty much. I've always gotten the impression, especially in his less than submissive moments in dressage, that he was basically giving WFP the finger and saying "I'm gonna do this MY way!" :winkgrin: You gotta love a horse with a sense of humor.

and I do get the feeling WFP rolled over and said, "Have it your way, little guy, but stay in the bloody arena so we run what counts tomorrow!" :lol: