PDA

View Full Version : Clinic turnout for kids

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
My daughter is going to ride in a clinic with Lellie Ward this weekend. She is SO excited! She is riding in a flat Lesson and jumping lesson. I figured she would need the basics: light colored breeches, collared shirt, clean tack and pony...but does she need a belt? The pants she wants to wear are pull-on full seats. And are purple polos appropriate for dressage work? Thanks!!

Hilary
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:47 PM
If she has belt loops she need a belt. If no loops, no belt. And she needs to tuck in the shirt.

I'll let the others comment on color choice!

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks! I am a very black and white kinda person and had my obnoxious pony club colors day so I guess I should understand but she is 9 so you can imagine the glitter, rhinestoney pink and purple crap that is overtaking my tack too
!! :)

yellowbritches
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
I know she's a kid, but she should still show up neat, clean, and un-obnoxious (in the cute kid kinda way) for a clinic. If you do polos, do white or black.

SkipChange
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:21 PM
OK I'll admit I used hot pink polos (with matching saddle pad, I know, I know) for a clinic one time...but clinician and I were good friends and it was a 12h pony and clinician thought it was adorable :D (:blushes: I was 17).

That said, I would tell her to save the purple polos for home and 'dress up' in black or white for the clinic. Perhaps if she wears neutral collard shirt and neutral saddle pad she could get away with purple polos if she is dying to use them.

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 22, 2009, 02:37 PM
So here is what I have packed for her and her pony to wear, Comments would be appreciated!!
Dressage: Tan full seats, white Polo shirt, black field boots, white pad with black piping and white DSB? or White polos?
Jumping: Same dress for her as above, white pad with pink and lavender piping and pink monogram, black Woof boots with lavender straps.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think that all sounds great. I'd go with the DSBs. I'd also have my kid (and did have my kid) in jodphurs and knee straps till she's 12. She'll have a ball. Good for her to go riding with Lellie. What a gasssssssssss. :)

tja789
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:03 PM
Lucky girl! It sounds like she will look perfect. Have a great time.

Blugal
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't wear a white shirt, she'll no doubt get pony slobber on it right before her lesson.

A big one in my books is tidy hair. Either a braid or a hairnet, no ponytails and definitely no loose hair everywhere.

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:24 PM
I french braid her hair and flip it under and put a hairnet on her so no worry of loose hair. I can be a little (or a lot according to my husband) about the kids and the horses turnout. They always look great and I always look like crap! :) Good advice on the white shirt...she would I sure have pony sneeze all over the front of it and I would have a massive panic attack! :) I love Lellie and used to work with her when I was in Pony Club and actually purchased a horse from her at one point so I am excited to see her again. I told Haley to get ready to ride her little booty off!

KBG Eventer
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:52 PM
So here is what I have packed for her and her pony to wear, Comments would be appreciated!!
Dressage: Tan full seats, white Polo shirt, black field boots, white pad with black piping and white DSB? or White polos?
Jumping: Same dress for her as above, white pad with pink and lavender piping and pink monogram, black Woof boots with lavender straps.

I think that sounds great!

I also think a purple shirt is fine, and a light purple or lavender polo would probably look quite nice IMO. If you want to stay conservative then a black polo would look nice and be easier to keep clean.

ETA: I thought you meant a purple polo shirt. I do agree that you should save the purple polos for at home.

SkipChange
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
Sounds great, hope ya'll have fun!

archieflies
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:38 PM
I thought it was a purple polo shirt too! I was thinking, geeez folks, who cares what color her shirt is?? :) But I agree, purple polo*wraps* may be a little much. :)

eventingismylife
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:39 PM
She needs to have a pair of natural/neutral colored breeches on with a black, gray, navy, hunter, or other conservative colored polo tucked in, if it is going to be chilly out a sweater over (no hoodies or sweaters with hoods) her polo or a turtle neck would work fine. If she is wearing breeches she needs to be wearing tall boots, if she doesn't have any, just neat and clean paddock boots with half chaps. A belt is needed if there are belt loops.No bright helmet covers or saddle pads- or boots for her pony, they are distracting. A nice clean pony with a neat mane and tail, and clean tack and saddle pad. Hope I helped!

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:47 PM
Update*** the clinic went VERY well!! She looked fabulous, thanks for all the advice. Lellie said she was a very talented little rider and didn't ride like a child at all, lots of natural talent and wants her in the jumper ring...I am one proud mama!!

katG
Oct. 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
Update*** the clinic went VERY well!! She looked fabulous, thanks for all the advice. Lellie said she was a very talented little rider and didn't ride like a child at all, lots of natural talent and wants her in the jumper ring...I am one proud mama!!

Aww, yayy! Im glad it went well!

KayBee
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
What a nice compliment!